Play-off push

We have 17 games left so 51 points to play for we are 9 points off the top 6 and in the next 3 games play 3 of the bottom 5. 

We have 5 games before the derby if we can take 11 points + from these games come the end of February we could possibly be 4 or 5 points of the play off with still 12 games left. 

Anything is possible in the championship this season but we need a few teams above us to drop off though. 

Lets see what we get from Reading, Millwall and Toy Town and see where we are then. If we win all 3 we could be looking at lot closer to the top 6. I think we will realistically need to win maybe 11 of the remaining 17 games to have a chance of top 6 giving us maybe 71/72 which is a big ask.

At least we are trying to win games now instead of setting up to defend against Barcelona every week as we were under Dross.

• Like 1

NiEven though the op is possibly a pig who's created a topic so he can go trotting back to pigstalk and say look how deluded Wendy are, I'll answer. Nobody is running away with the league this season. When they do it sucks points out of the rest of the league as it were. This means there are plenty of teams in with a shout but the points required for playoffs will be high. Not as high as the pigs once got whilst missing out on promotion obviously, but high all the same. We don't have the foundations laid for a serious push points wise. Dross ruined our season and DC didn't act quickly enough but that's water under the bridge now. 10th place or so would represent a remarkable recovery. 

Even if we did manage play off then go up, the backbone of the team we have at the minute wouldn't be anywhere near enough to compete in the Prem. I shudder to think how much we'd need to spend and how many players we'd need in to be even half competitive. 

If much rather we see out this season respectably then have a proper go next year.

Let's not get carried away eh? Let the Bruce bounce continue but don't go overboard if we're not up there come May.

13 hours ago, BigDaveNuihui said:

Rhodes will smash 20+ in next season watch this space 

All he’s ever needed is a strong manager who has faith in him, remember Andy Cole during his initial time at Man Utd, the rest is history. I’ve always been a glass half full guy, I’ve not always been right, but find negative folk to be so boring. lol

14 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Sadly , I still keep more of an eye out at the other end of the table, but thats just me...

I'm determined to keep the hope in check.

Should we go for it?..Course we should, it would be f.ookin' epic!

The problem is the half a season under Luhukay, and I'll admit I went on for ages about him not getting judged, cos he hadn't the tools for the job...Then you find out he actually did have "some" but chose not to bother out of bloody stubborness rather than what was best for the club.

Anyhow..That trains left the lonely railway station..and its a new era...

Totally agree.  He also wasn’t the only one that was stubborn. If DC had swallowed his pride and not been as stubborn then JL would have been sacked and hopefully we’d be a little closer to have a crack at it.  Sadly there’s too much ground been lost now.  

43 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

NiEven though the op is possibly a pig who's created a topic so he can go trotting back to pigstalk and say look how deluded Wendy are

As Keegan would say I'd love it, love it if Bannan was being interviewed pitch side after we had beat the Blunts at Wembley "The lads had given up on the playoffs until we saw a post on Owlstalk about it being doable, then thought let's give it a go."

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

Even if we did manage play off then go up, the backbone of the team we have at the minute wouldn't be anywhere near enough to compete in the Prem. I shudder to think how much we'd need to spend and how many players we'd need in to be even half competitive. 

If much rather we see out this season respectably then have a proper go next year.

Let's not get carried away eh? Let the Bruce bounce continue but don't go overboard if we're not up there come May.

Really? 

You would not want promotion so we can have a proper go next year ?

Surely we  can have a better go with 100m in our back pocket

I remember one or two coming out with this in Carlos's 1st season ......they are still waiting ! 

If by some miracle the opportunity presents itself grab it with both hands 

Edited by the monk

27 minutes ago, the monk said:

Really? 

You would not want promotion so we can have a proper go next year ?

Surely we  can have a better go with 100m in our back pocket

I remember one or two coming out with this in Carlos's 1st season ......they are still waiting ! 

If by some miracle the opportunity presents itself grab it with both hands 

I do. I really don't want to see us getting tanked week in week out.

Derby have never got back into the Prem after their record low points total a few years back, and the league has got even tougher since. I don't think they benefited from that experience at all and neither would we. Just my opinion and of course it's all very hypothetical.

Edited by Pablo Bonvin

7 minutes ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

I do. I really don't want to see us getting tanked week in week out.

Derby have never got back into the Prem after their record low points total a few years back, and the league has got even tougher since. I don't think they benefited from that experience at all and neither would we. Just my opinion and of course it's all very hypothetical.

Yeah if we did get there and got relegated then we have parachute payments to go up again 

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, optimisticowl said:

Sarcasm is the ability to insult fools without them realising that they have been insulted.  WTF:

Exactly,  BigDaveNuihui is definitely a fool.

1 hour ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

Not sure Bruce is going to be able to pull a Prem quality backbone out of a hat next summer. Most likely some quality loans if anything. We’ve got financial problems and a promotion to the EPL would be a big help.

8 minutes ago, JackSWFC said:

Not sure Bruce is going to be able to pull a Prem quality backbone out of a hat next summer. Most likely some quality loans if anything. We’ve got financial problems and a promotion to the EPL would be a big help.

I suppose so. Not sure how enjoyable such a season in the Prem would be though, but yeah, the parachute payments wouldn't go amiss.