An evening with Paolo do canio

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

A brief summary of Di Canios book.... as I remember it..had a theme

I was at Lazio but the manager didn't know what he was doing and and the other players were pap..... Then I was at Juventus but the manager fell out with me he was an idiot picking rubbish players like Baggio and Vialli. .... From there to Napoli where the manager didn't know what he was doing and the other players were pap.... Back to Milan but the new manager wasn't very good .... From there to Celtic but the manager was rubbish and the players pap and we all fell out through no fault of mine.....Then  to Sheffield Wednesday where the manager was rubbish and the club terrible and they fell out with me through no fault of my own. ....

All these clubs.....always trouble...always some manager picking the wrong .... rubbish players..... and people out with me for no reason. 

He was a great player and I forgave his self opinionated ways and his tantrums - I even saw his point of view with the way he said we handled the pushing incident, however, he lost my love and support when he gave that Nazi salute and admitted he was a facist. 

Edited by shandypants
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

Both him and Carbone are like a sexually contracted disease, not welcome but difficult to get rid of, can’t they get it into their heads that neither of them are even close on being classed as Owls legends? :duntmatter:

I think many people do see Carbone and Di Canio as legends for Wednesday. Certainly they were 2 of the most talented players I have seen in my time but both soured they time at Wednesday a bit.

Also I don't think either player probably cares if they are a Wednesday legend or not. Its over 20 years now since they played for us.

1 hour ago, archieswfc said:

Is that what he said? I didn't know that.

I wonder how many trophies he won with West ham? (I hope it's none and I'm not mistaken else I'm gonna look a reyt pr1ck).

He "won" the Intertoto Cup with them - although that was a bizarre competition with three different finals and three winners, the prize being entry to the UEFA Cup so I wouldn't count it as a trophy if they even got one.

14 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

Both him and Carbone are like a sexually contracted disease, not welcome but difficult to get rid of, can’t they get it into their heads that neither of them are even close on being classed as Owls legends? :duntmatter:

But also sort of worth the discomfort, discharge and being prodded by a bloke wearing rubber gloves.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

I remember the Southampton fans singing

" Thank you very much for David Hirst, thank you very much, thank you very very much"  to the tune of the old Roses chocolates.

:duntmatter:We responded with the same but saying Jim Magilton!!!

You're welcome Saints, thanks for giving us £2m on a crock who'd only play in 30 league games in the next 3 years after you bought him.

That said, I think I'd still have rather had him for those 3 years than Jim bloody Magilton, the David Jones of the 1990s.

1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

What a great game that was, but also strange seeing both Hirst and Palmer playing for and scoring for the opposition.

Managed to get tickets off a couple of the players the previous day.It certainly was a great ending to the game, Ron Atkinsons 2nd game in charge (on his 2nd stint). 

His comment was that when PDC dribbled around the goal keeper twice before he scored "It took bloody ages for that goalie to become untangled". 

46 minutes ago, S A Andy said:

Managed to get tickets off a couple of the players the previous day.It certainly was a great ending to the game, Ron Atkinsons 2nd game in charge (on his 2nd stint). 

His comment was that when PDC dribbled around the goal keeper twice before he scored "It took bloody ages for that goalie to become untangled". 

Big Ron said Di Canio went round the keeper, took a look up at the clock and saw there was still quite a bit of time left so went round him again a couple of times to run the clock down!

Remember when we won 3-0 at Spurs early on in the 98-99 season and Di Canio said Spurs are in big trouble if they are getting beat easy at home by us! :picnic:

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

He "won" the Intertoto Cup with them - although that was a bizarre competition with three different finals and three winners, the prize being entry to the UEFA Cup so I wouldn't count it as a trophy if they even got one.

To be fair I'd have taken a season in the Uefa Cup over relegation from the PL, followed by 3 relegation battles in the 2nd division which ultimately resulted in relegation to the 3rd division around that time.