40 man squad

I've just totted up how many players we have at present who have squad numbers and there are incredibly 40 players , ok around 10 of them are u 23's but they've all been included in the first team squad this season.

That is a crazy amount and surely in the summer it will be trimmed to around 30 at most ( 11 out of contract).

This amount of players must be crippling us and the sooner we get it down and have a younger more mobile  squad the better.

1 minute ago, Watto said:

I've just totted up how many players we have at present who have squad numbers and there are incredibly 40 players , ok around 10 of them are u 23's but they've all been included in the first team squad this season.

That is a crazy amount and surely in the summer it will be trimmed to around 30 at most ( 11 out of contract).

This amount of players must be crippling us and the sooner we get it down and have a younger more mobile  squad the better.

Bruce has mentioned getting the squad size to around 24.

Definitely need far more out than in.

More than ever, the ins need to be calculated and correct.    

Bruce has literally one shot to get the incoming transfers right, which is a big ask given the last few transfer windows and the business we have done.

Over to you Steve Bruce.    Also, we could do with losing a couple more than just those out of contract.   We need to get rid of a couple of players who are still in contract but offer little, but then again if they didn't offer us little - they would be more desirable and more easy to shift.

1 minute ago, Watto said:

Does that include academy players I wonder?

I think not.  

But that's still not a bad thing.   24 players is roughly 2 players for every position although, mathematically I know it works out, it won't because you will probably have 3 keepers and 5 central defenders.    A couple of players who can play multi roles etc.

Academy players won't be included in those 24, and of those 24 you'd expect only 16 to expect they should be in the starting 11.     You cannot keep more than that happy, and even then a few will not be.

15 minutes ago, flo said:

Actually only 34 players have been included this season in squad. 

Well 40 have squad numbers, so I'd imagine they would have been included at some stage during Luhukay's reign as he seemed to have half the academy involved in each squad.

I still think 2 for every position + a few more is probably required for the Championship. Or players that will run through brick walls for you and they are a dying breed

Lets see how Leeds last with a trimmed squad over the 46 + games playing the Bielsa pressing game. 

My mate from Marseille said Beilsa cut the squad down and demanded a high tempo at all times ; said they were brilliant to watch and the games entertaining - but they ran out of steam and fell away towards the end of the season. 

Players out of contract are. Ones in bold I'd keep or try and sign. 

Kieran Westwood

Liam Palmer, Daniel Pudil, Frederik Nielson, Conor O'Grady

Kieran Lee, George Boyd, David Jones, Almen Abdi, Fraser Preston 

Gary Hooper, Marco Matias

Plus the 4 loans going back Hector, Onomah, Aarons, Lazaar. 

Leaves us with 

Cameron Dawson, Joe Wildsmith

Dominic Iorfa, Tom Lees, Joost Van Aken, Jordan Thorniley, Morgan Fox, Ash Baker, Matt Penney, Jack Lee, 

Barry Bannan, Joey Pelupessey, Adam Reach, Sam Hutchinson, Alex Hunt, Jack Stobbs, Connor Kirkby 

Steven Fletcher, Sam Winnall, Atdhe Nuhiu, Lucas Joao, Fernando Forestieri, Jordan Rhodes, 

5 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

I think not.  

But that's still not a bad thing.   24 players is roughly 2 players for every position although, mathematically I know it works out, it won't because you will probably have 3 keepers and 5 central defenders.    A couple of players who can play multi roles etc.

Academy players won't be included in those 24, and of those 24 you'd expect only 16 to expect they should be in the starting 11.     You cannot keep more than that happy, and even then a few will not be.

What are we calling Academy players here because U23's are still professionals unlike U18s and we have way too many U23's.  I make it we currently have 50 professionals which is way too much. We only used to have around 40 in the Premier League days with a larger budget.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Most can go for me. Out: Palmer, Nielsen, Pudil, O’Grady, Jones, Onomah, Abdi, Matias, Hooper.

Then I’d try to shop out Rhodes and one of Nuhiu or Winnall.  I’d then try to sell FF or Reach.

Offer new 1 Year contracts to Westwood and possibly Boyd.

Westwood

Dawson

Wildsmith

Iorfa

Baker

Fox

Penney

Lees

Thorniley

van Aken

Hutchinson

Pelupessy

Bannan

Lee( wages reduced but keep if he can prove fitness.

Boyd

FF or Reach

Fletcher

Joao

Winnall or Nuhiu

Then we would need a cb, hopefully Hector. A left back and winger( hopefully the Newcastle lads do well and come back next year) and a younger central midfielder. Then hope for a season of few injuries and turn to youth if need be.

Edited by Kagoshimaowl