Defence so much tighter

First 22 league games - 40 goals conceded. 

Last 7 games here’s our goals against...

We aren’t scoring many, but if Bruce can keep us this tight at the other end we don’t need much from FF, Fletch, Lucas & Co to give us a VERY successful final third of this season.

• Like 2

Teams are either

a) Sound in defence and attack - Then you're a top team

b) Solid at the back but not to good going forward - Grind out 1-0 2-1 style wins

c) Poor at the back but great attacking threat - Win some by conceeding every game but also out scoring the opponent

Under Jos we were none of the above. Useless in defence, useless in attack.

Hopefully Bruce can keep this defence tightened and we can hope to grind out some gritty results. going forward. 

Edited by Skyline
  • Like 1

Settled back four has been a major factor. Westwood too, for me Dawson has the edge on shot stopping and distribution  with his feet,  but what Westwood does extremely well is organise the defence, keeps defensive shape and helps identify and pick up runners. 

That communication is vital to read the game and only comes with experience.

Can't argue with clean sheet record recently, Palmer and fox also looked much better defensively of late with cohesion derived from playing as a settled unit.

Edited by striker

1 minute ago, striker said:

Settled back four has been a major factor. Westwood too, for me Dawson has the edge on shot stopping and distribution  with his feet,  but what Westwood does extremely well is organise the defence, keeps defensive shape and helps identify and pick up runners. 

That communication is vital to read the game and only comes with experience.

Can't argue with clean sheet record recently, Palmer and fox also looked much better defensively of late with cohesion derived from playing as a settled unit.

The pleasing thing is, Bruce said he chose the same back 4 as they had been doing well recently, that's all I would ask really, if someone's playing well as an individual or as a pairing/four, keep playing them. Would have been easy for him to change things round and try to put his slant on things but he didn't.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, mike312 said:

The pleasing thing is, Bruce said he chose the same back 4 as they had been doing well recently, that's all I would ask really, if someone's playing well as an individual or as a pairing/four, keep playing them. Would have been easy for him to change things round and try to put his slant on things but he didn't.

Absolutely, that's the way it has to be, competition to keep/win the shirt improves performances. 

Having a solid and unchanged backline is probably the main reason. 

Look at probably the best defencive unit I remember in my years of watching football.           Seaman 

Dixon. Adams. Bould. Winterburn. 

Same back four week in week out for years and replace one at a time slowly to keep the consistency and togetherness. 

We've started the last 6/7 league games now with. 

Westwood 

Palmer. Lees Hector. Fox

This is paying dividends as we're gaining understanding and cohesion, it's all right trying to rest players, but constant rotation was our downfall under jos. 

Look at the difference in form and confidence of Palmer, lees and fox. 

Think Jos got a raw deal in some respects but his constant changing of both defensive personnel and formation, and subsequent frustration at our lack of defensive cohesion, was possibly the most baffling thing I’ve ever seen from a Wednesday manager. 

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

First 22 league games - 40 goals conceded. 

Last 7 games here’s our goals against...

We aren’t scoring many, but if Bruce can keep us this tight at the other end we don’t need much from FF, Fletch, Lucas & Co to give us a VERY successful final third of this season.

Where would we have been now if Jos had played his strongest team week in week out.

Even another 5-10 points better of we would now be in the play off. Two points dropped against West Brom, should have beat Leeds etc.

I understand building for the future but if Jos had stayed in charge with his insane plan we would have been in league one next season.

• Like 1

Playing a settled back four/goalkeeper has made a huge difference. 

Dross completely undermined any chance we had of keeping clean sheets, forming a solid defensive unit with his constant tinkering and general f*ckwittery. 

Hector is playing more like a centre half now before he was all over the shop .

The discipline started with Bully and carried on with Agnew 

Also our fullbacks are not trying to be wingers, more trying to get forward when the opportunity is right .

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Where would we have been now if Jos had played his strongest team week in week out.

Even another 5-10 points better of we would now be in the play off. Two points dropped against West Brom, should have beat Leeds etc.

I understand building for the future but if Jos had stayed in charge with his insane plan we would have been in league one next season.

Leeds pasted us