RIP - Danny Williams

RIP Danny

The first game I went to was in 67 and I started to go regularly in 69 so my formative years were spent watching his team. I'm sure the torment I suffered at that time equipped me to deal with or enjoy everything that has happened since.

He may not have been our most successful manager but he would have been committed to the job and tried his best. You don't get jobs managing professional football teams at any level unless you have some outstanding qualities no matter what we say about Jos, Carlos or Alan Irvine.

I remember a quote attributed to him at the time when dropping a poor performer “It hurts to leave you out but it hurts even more to see you play “. (Done in broad Yorkshire). Stuck with me ever since.

He was a great character at a grim time for us.

RIP and condolences to his loved ones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, erowl said:

RIP Danny

Remember the shop in Rotherham very well

Wasn't Danny the manager that said we scored too early when Scunny knocked us out of the cup about 1970?

Yes. Jan 1970.  I play in a table tennis club with the Scunny right back on that day.  

Danny played in the first game I ever saw.   November 1958 Owls 5 Rotherham 0.   He was in the Rotherham side, with Bronco Layne and Albert Broadbent.  

RIP Danny.  

• Thanks 1

Poor Danny had a difficult brief. His job was to rebuild a basically unsettled side.  As for the relegation, I think the writing was already on the wall. I started going the season before and apart from a memorable 5-4 home win against the great Man. Utd. team there were some dismal results. I particularly remember a painful 1-5 home loss to Arsenal. At my young age I couldn't imagine there was worse to come.  

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe Derek Dooley followed Danny and brought back stripes and Peter Swan.

3 hours ago, keefdave said:

Didn't he sign Tommy Craig?

no ….craig was already there …..

55 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Didn't he sell McCalliog to Wolves grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

4 days after he arrived but I doubt Williams had any say in the matter …..

2 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

Didn't he sell McCalliog to Wolves grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

As Torry says he wasnt given a choice,JM was one of my favorites.

Ritchie Eustace and Mobley soon followed all four raised just over 220K,with Wilf Smith turning down an agreed 100K move to chelsea,signing the following season for coventry for the same fee.David Ford left for newcastle,Jackie Sinclair came the other way as part of the deal,Fantham and Don Megson both left club during the early part of the season

Williams had to follow the reemit the board gave him.

In fairness McCalliog had put in transfer requests on at least two occasions before DW arrived,Ritchie,Mobley& Eustace had asked for transfers the previous season,there was lots of unrest among the senior players at the club.

We became heavily reliant on the excellent Witham for goals,but he was dogged by injury and moved to Liverpool for 60K after relegation,only to be dogged by the same problems

Edited by legendaryswan

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

no ….craig was already there …..

4 days after he arrived but I doubt Williams had any say in the matter …..

Ok just gutted that he left...more gutted when he turned up at Man U although I remember taking one of our kids to their Museum to find a picture of Jim as Man U captains