Rhodes

Guest Jack the Hat
8 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It's a season long loan, which Norwich have paid for. We could have tried to recall him, but they'd have just said no.

There is that of course! Factual and to the point. Now go away you are not welcome on here with your common sense!

I think Rhodes is done as a regular starter at this level.

I still look at how he moves and wonder about his knees...

I wouldn’t be surprised to see his future role with anyone being similar to his current role with Norwich. That’s not a bad thing, unless you’ve got him on a huge multi-year contract 

17 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I think Rhodes is done as a regular starter at this level.

I still look at how he moves and wonder about his knees...

I wouldn’t be surprised to see his future role with anyone being similar to his current role with Norwich. That’s not a bad thing, unless you’ve got him on a huge multi-year contract 

Exactly, at this level, yes the subs bench is his best position We are a bit stuck, we are the ones left with him, when his value has diminished A bit like the last ones standing in one of those friggin pyramid schemes

Personally I think it was the expectation that came with his signing, that mentally he just couldn't handle, and during his time here we haven't had the type of manager who was able to nurture him through it.

Carlos was all well and good with the big personalities within the team, but Jordan strikes me as a quiet guy, the grey man if you like. 

I think in Steve Bruce we now have that manager, add to that his uncle is also now here, I think Jordan will come back and be a different player next season for us. 

5 minutes ago, Womble Owl said:

Personally I think it was the expectation that came with his signing, that mentally he just couldn't handle, and during his time here we haven't had the type of manager who was able to nurture him through it.

Carlos was all well and good with the big personalities within the team, but Jordan strikes me as a quiet guy, the grey man if you like. 

I think in Steve Bruce we now have that manager, add to that his uncle is also now here, I think Jordan will come back and be a different player next season for us. 

Yes there’s a bit of that for sure, but a lot of that may come from the players realisation that he doesn’t have the tools to be effective at this level When you look at his game, and then look at the direction the game has taken in recent years, you can see his frustrations, and why he struggles. I did think there was a chance that he might adapt his game, and find a role, a bit like Billy Blunt has. Many on here thought hie wouldn’t be able to make the step up after his league one exploits, but he seems to have energised his playing style, and his movement is better than it was, mainly because it needs to be. The other thing with him is, he is playing in a front two. Can Rhodes make those adjustments? I’m not sure he can, but introduced late in the game, when his shortcomings are less of a liability, he can generally get you a goal

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Yes there’s a bit of that for sure, but a lot of that may come from the players realisation that he doesn’t have the tools to be effective at this level When you look at his game, and then look at the direction the game has taken in recent years, you can see his frustrations, and why he struggles. I did think there was a chance that he might adapt his game, and find a role, a bit like Billy Blunt has. Many on here thought hie wouldn’t be able to make the step up after his league one exploits, but he seems to have energised his playing style, and his movement is better than it was, mainly because it needs to be. The other thing with him is, he is playing in a front two. Can Rhodes make those adjustments? I’m not sure he can, but introduced late in the game, when his shortcomings are less of a liability, he can generally get you a goal

When you look at the past 3 managers he has played under (all foriegn) it is more than just mere coincidence that he has had a dip in form, 1 being ultra defensive and did want to sign him, the other two were clueless.

The right manager will try him around and that right manager is Bruce.

On 03/02/2019 at 12:54, vulva said:

Sincerely hope DC had the foresight to add a promotion bonus into the Rhodes deal. Watched them last night, and that is the best side in this league. Made Leeds look like cart horses. 

Just watched the highlights and Norwich absolutely pelted Leeds .. Leeds were like deers in the headlights!

11 hours ago, Blue and white said:

When you look at the past 3 managers he has played under (all foriegn) it is more than just mere coincidence that he has had a dip in form, 1 being ultra defensive and did want to sign him, the other two were clueless.

The right manager will try him around and that right manager is Bruce.

Plus his current manager (also foreign) who doesn’t seem that clueless judging by the league table.

On 03/02/2019 at 13:27, optimisticowl said:

It’s unusual, but not impossible, for once good players to become past their best at his age, 29 this week. I expect to see him return to S6 at the end of the season, and SB to work out what motivates him, other than money. He’s had the opportunity to fight for his place at Norwich, but appears to accept being a sub. Being scared to take a penalty at Wembley in front of SB will not be lossed on the latter, only time will tell.

Wasnt it Huddersfield in the Play Off semis that he refused to take a pen?

Gives me hope for next season that if we cut the dead wood and make a few shrewd signings we can be back amongst it next season.

Wolves were bang average then brought in Nuno and spent pretty big whereas Norwich brought the manager in and have quietly gone about doing extremely shrewd business incl. selling arguably their best player (Maddison) for big dough but then reinvesting to make a better side.

Looking back on the Forestieri situation we could have cashed in for 10m and built a better side. But actually what we did was keep him and still spunk 30m on hasbeen gash like Rhodes.

Am hoping Bruce has a better nose for players than CC or JL what with Jones  Boyd, Rhodes, Van Aken, Abdi, Matias, Pelupessy being an absolute waste of 20m with about the same on wages on top.   

RHODES, ABDI, JONES, VAN AKEN, MATIAS, BOYD, PELUPESSY.

DO ONE. 

Edited by DuttyTeabags
Edit

23 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Gives me hope for next season that if we cut the dead wood and make a few shrewd signings we can be back amongst it next season.

Wolves were bang average then brought in Nuno and spent pretty big whereas Norwich brought the manager in and have quietly gone about doing extremely shrewd business incl. selling arguably their best player (Maddison) for big dough but then reinvesting to make a better side.

Looking back on the Forestieri situation we could have cashed in for 10m and built a better side. But actually what we did was keep him and still spunk 30m on hasbeen gash like Rhodes.

Am hoping Bruce has a better nose for players than CC or JL what with Jones  Boyd, Rhodes, Van Aken, Abdi, Matias, Pelupessy being an absolute waste of 20m with about the same on wages on top.   

RHODES, ABDI, JONES, VAN AKEN, MATIAS, BOYD, PELUPESSY.

DO ONE. 

What club is Rhodes at just now? lol

8 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

What club is Rhodes at just now? lol

I’m sure the ability is still there, but I expect it more about whether his confidence is still there. Strangely Rhodes’ move to Boro seems to have been a huge turning point in his fortunes on the pitch as he went from consistently better than a goal every other game to a goal every 5 or 6 games.  Stranger still he was around the age of 26 when he went to Boro so you’d be expecting him to get better not worse. 

If he does end end up back at our club I reckon it’ll be all about whether SB can man manage Rhodes’ confidence back. I’m sure there’s still a quality forward in him, it’s just whether he believes it himself. If he does come back it will be an interesting test of Bruce’s skills to see if he can get Rhodes firing again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, East Yorks Owl said:

I’m sure the ability is still there, but I expect it more about whether his confidence is still there. Strangely Rhodes’ move to Boro seems to have been a huge turning point in his fortunes on the pitch as he went from consistently better than a goal every other game to a goal every 5 or 6 games.  Stranger still he was around the age of 26 when he went to Boro so you’d be expecting him to get better not worse. 

If he does end end up back at our club I reckon it’ll be all about whether SB can man manage Rhodes’ confidence back. I’m sure there’s still a quality forward in him, it’s just whether he believes it himself. If he does come back it will be an interesting test of Bruce’s skills to see if he can get Rhodes firing again.

Probably the ability is still there, but the game has changed, and his skill set, doesn’t match with what’s needed these days. His goals from the bench have some value for Norwich, as they might for us, but were they to start him instead of Pukki, they wouldn’t be such an effective team

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Probably the ability is still there, but the game has changed, and his skill set, doesn’t match with what’s needed these days. His goals from the bench have some value for Norwich, as they might for us, but were they to start him instead of Pukki, they wouldn’t be such an effective team

I don’t believe it’s so much about the game changing. If you look at Rhodes’ catalogue of goals it’s apparent he’s got the ability to be great with his head and feet, I really believe it’s all about his confidence and not playing him isolated up top. If we need a single man up top to hold up the ball and get the midfield involved I accept Rhodes probably isn’t your man, but hopefully we’lll have enough quality on the pitch to play a little more ambitiously than that under Bruce. 

One last point about Rhodes, from the interviews I’ve seen he comes across as a real decent lad. I appreciate that it’s all about doing it on the pitch, but the fact he does seem a good bloke makes me want him to come good all the more.