Just dawned on me...

This thread has a Xenophobic tone which I'm not sure is what people intend.

Carlos was fine as a manager in his first season, nobody  minded his accent or that he occasionally used the wrong word, it was cute and the fact he was Portuguese didn't matter we were playing the best football we had seen in an age. Over time he went negative, defensive and people got annoyed with him. He lost the plot and the fans then his way of communicating became irritating. It wasnb't that he was Portuguese that got my back up it was that he just wasn't doing the job in the way we thought he should.

Jos was unexpected in just about every way possible. Nobody had heard of him, he was quiet and unassuming. Personally I think given money and time he could have done OK but he had neither. He tried to do what was right by bringing through the young players because at the end ot this season most of the older pros will be leaving. He did too much too soon and got punished for bad results. I like most Durch people I've met and don't have a problem with them, For Jos and us it was just the wrong place at the wrong time.

Bruce looks the business maybe in time we can forgive him for being a geordielol

• Thanks 1

No English manager has won the Premier League since 1992 so people with funny accents must be doing something right.

Carlos took us to 6th and 4th in his two full seasons. 

If Steve Bruce can do similar next season and the one after, I'd be very surprised, and happy.

Owlstalkers were suicidal after the 0-3 losses at Hull and Chelsea.  

After a 1-0 win against the bottom club, we're going to pïzz the league again. Don't think it works like that. 

We've not won any league since 1959.   I was lucky .. I saw that season as a youngster.  60 years is a long wait.  

I agree with this, particularly with luhukay who was a personality vaccum. We needed a figurehead and communicator to relate to. 

I thought CC was great at first but after a while he said the same things and both previous managers would only talk football. Bruce takes a wider remit.

Nonetheless, Brucey bingo does apply and we will hear the terms “we will dust we selves down and go again” a fair few times!

• Like 1

Give me someone with a bit of charisma like Carlos over the usual media trained personality donors.

Generally I don’t listen to press conferences or pre-match interviews as they’re just paying lip service to their broadcasting contracts...but I always felt like listening to Carlos was an education.

I remember saying that people will find his genial and colloquial nature a problem when results turn, and the same will happen with Bruce...currently he’s straightforward, direct and saying how it is. When results go South he’ll be stubborn, blaming and combative