Lucas - Goal Machine

Just now, Costello 77 said:

Fair enough... while you're on.. what you said in the other thread about not being a good manager because you're good with the press is spurious.

He's proved himself as a good manager and it's a bonus that he's good with the press... it's the main line of communication between the decision maker and the support.

He has to prove himself as a good Wednesday manager, up to now it's going well.   

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Since he found his shooting boots mid last season:-

2161 minutes played - 16 goals - a goal every 135 minutes

It compares well with this season’s leading scorers:-

Sharp - 19 goals - goal every 111 minutes

Abraham - 19 goals - goal every 109 minutes

Pukki - 18 goals - goal every 133 minutes

Hope he can continue this form over the long term. 

Very impressive, can score tap ins, thunderbolts......maybe evan pens.....if we ever get one?

Guest Kagoshimaowl
13 hours ago, modboy said:

Wish we'd signed Pukki. Jos should have known his potential from his time in the German leagues 

Jos dint know owt!

49 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

He's got a lot of talent Joao but his body language doesn't help him most of the time. There's a player in there, it's just if he can do it consistently.

yeah all the talent …..we have a talented squad but how you harness it into a successful one is going to be a test for bruce ….

16 hours ago, Walt said:

Tend to agree and if we are going to persist with yesterday's formation then Joao has to be the one to play off Fletcher. One phase of played demonstrated to me why FF should not play the no.10 role...when he should have squared to Fletcher for a tap in, that for me was inexcusable, it was totally the wrong option. If I was Fletcher I would have hammered him for it, it's the sort of thing you see in kids football where they want to score but forget what is the easier and better option. This isn't an isolated incident when FF plays up front it's the norm but sometimes he will bail himself out with a bit of brilliance. Yes he may bring other attributes to the table playing there but you can not have an individual playing the no.10 role, he has got to also play for the team and our no.9 is soon going to get pissed off with his selfishness and unpredictable nature of his play.

Imo you're far better using FF's traits elsewhere on the pitch - LHS of a front three. 

Agree, if we can find a way to get FF, Fletch and Joao in the same side as a dynamic 3 with Joao and FF supporting full backs in defensive phase it may work.

Unfortunately whichever way you look at it, it's difficult to get Reach into the side (on current form) if you set up like this.

Westwood

Iorfa      Lees       Hector      Fox

Onomah   Hutch  Bannan

Joao                                  FF

Fletcher 

Can also become a fluid 4 4 2 with FF going left side and Joao running channels both sides. 

This kind of reminds me of the setup of the side which regularly used to win 3 nil at home in Carlos first season, with Nando at his most effective and which we ditched in PO final as CC went full Tory. 

Love to see this on Sat...

4 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Agree, if we can find a way to get FF, Fletch and Joao in the same side as a dynamic 3 with Joao and FF supporting full backs in defensive phase it may work.

Unfortunately whichever way you look at it, it's difficult to get Reach into the side (on current form) if you set up like this.

Westwood

Onomah   Hutch  Bannan

Fletcher 

Can also become a fluid 4 4 2 with FF going left side and Joao running channels both sides. 

This kind of reminds me of the setup of the side which regularly used to win 3 nil at home in Carlos first season, with Nando at his most effective and which we ditched in PO final as CC went full Tory. 

Drop the player who has scored 6 and made 4 of our last 26 goals?

Better line-up...

Reach Hutch Bannan FF

Fletcher Joao

All six players playing in their best roles.

17 hours ago, helmut_rooster said:

Very impressive, can score tap ins, thunderbolts......maybe evan pens.....if we ever get one?

Good point.

All of Joao’s goals are outfield goals. 

Four of Abraham’s are pens, and one of Sharp’s.

Should always remove pens when comparing effectiveness of strikers.

I'm looking forward to being proved wrong then cos I don't see what all the fuss is about. I'm probably crazy but he annoys me when he's on the pitch most of the time. He looks lazy and ineffective then he scores which confuses me. I hope he gets better like you lot seem to predict. I readily admit I know nowt about footy before anyone starts. 

23 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

I'm looking forward to being proved wrong then cos I don't see what all the fuss is about. I'm probably crazy but he annoys me when he's on the pitch most of the time. He looks lazy and ineffective then he scores which confuses me. I hope he gets better like you lot seem to predict. I readily admit I know nowt about footy before anyone starts. 

You don't have to be an expert to see that he at times can be lazy and frustrating, he certainly has the talent but not always the passion to go with it, hope SB can turn him into what we expect and he is capable off.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Drop the player who has scored 6 and made 4 of our last 26 goals?

Better line-up...

Reach Hutch Bannan FF

Fletcher Joao

All six players playing in their best roles.

Maybe it's a hangover from Carlos days but not overly enamoured with left footers on right wing but Reach in fairness can put a ball in with right.

1 hour ago, latemodelchild said:

You're in good company then as very few of us on OT do.  Maybe Lord Snooty, after that I'm struggling. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Westwood

Onomah   Hutch  Bannan

Fletcher 

Why not drop Bannan for Reach. 

Hutch still there for the defensive stuff. 

It will be interesting to see as we move forward what system Bruce goes with.

While we should have been leading easily on Saturday it was pretty obvious as the second half progressed that we needed Joao on the pitch. Up to then we had efficient but not really creative , chances mainly coming from their mistakes.

If you looked at the starting 11 then it didn’t contain sufficient goal threat , especially from midfield. No Lee or Wallace types with goals in them. Boyd is just a workhorse.

Central midfield both sat which meant nobody linking with the front two which is what FF needs in that position.

Bruce is very experienced and patient and I can see him sticking with 442 , staying solid and then using Joao as a super sub .

It won’t be pretty and not what I would do but Bruce is a very pragmatic manager 

Would like to see Joao, Fletcher and Forestieri play as a front 3. Fletcher leading the line with Joao and Forestieri playing off him; Forestieri having the freedom to drop deep and move around, with Joao looking to get in behind with his pace.

Reach and Bannan are more than capable of feeding those 3 in that set up, and Hutchinson offers sufficient cover (and Reach/Bannan have the energy levels) to get back in shape when we lose the ball.

Honestly think we've kinda forgotten just how much talent this squad of players has.