Bruce on........FERNANDO

3 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Finally we might have got a manager to get the best out of Nando, Bruce is bang in here...

Bruce told The Star: "I don't believe that Forestieri is a left hand sided player. He is off the front and a bit of a free spirit. "I know he is going to be hard work but I like him. He has got a bit of devil in him. He's a good footballer and if we can get him smiling again and keep him fit then, for me, he's as good a player as there is in the Championship."

Read more at: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-steve-bruce-pays-big-compliment-to-owls-ace-fernando-forestieri-1-9575245

100% this. Give FF the freedom to roam in the opposition half without the tracking back duties that can’t be avoided in the left midfield role. Encourage him and the centre forward to press the opposition high up the pitch.

On 02/02/2019 at 21:17, torryowl said:

imo fletch is our best centre forward so maybe it's more a case of FF isn't the right partner for him …..

He wasn't really a partner on Sat though was he.  Rather than playing up top with Fletcher he was part of a line of three attacking midfielders behind him and that works well.

Just get Boyd out and play Aarons or Matias and we're getting there. 

• Like 1

Bruce told The Star: "I don't believe that Forestieri is a left hand sided player. He is off the front and a bit of a free spirit. "I know he is going to be hard work but I like him. He has got a bit of devil in him. He's a good footballer and if we can get him smiling again and keep him fit then, for me, he's as good a player as there is in the Championship."

Read more at: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-steve-bruce-pays-big-compliment-to-owls-ace-fernando-forestieri-1-9575245

It also sounds like Bruce rates Joao too, and was interested in him when at Villa.

Fellow striker Lucas Joao stepped up off the bench to grab a late goal and ensure Bruce kicked off his Owls reign with a win. "It is always nice when you make a sub and the guy comes on and scores," admitted Bruce. "Lucas was somebody we looked at a lot at Aston Villa. The kid has got a talent. "But I thought [Steven] Fletcher in the first half against Ipswich and in the Wigan game was excellent. A bit of competition doesn't harm anybody.

I think FF and LJ are going to LOVE playing under Bruce.

:ghoulguy:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dnhc said:

I figure hooper whilst as sharp as a tack in and around the box, cannot cover the ground needed to support fletcher outside the box, and would slow play down.

João can support fletcher, but still has to improve this term to have the realistic chance to make the position his next term.

I agree with the likelihood that out of our posse of support strikers all will be found short of the mark, and a 'marksman' fetched in.

Hooper has a footballing brain. He's clever, makes space holds the ball up well, plays clever little passes. For my money he is easily our best striker when fit.

It's the 'when fit' that is the problem.

4 hours ago, prowl said:

Hooper has a footballing brain. He's clever, makes space holds the ball up well, plays clever little passes. For my money he is easily our best striker when fit.

It's the 'when fit' that is the problem.

he is, no one can knock him at what he does, but you can for what he doesn't, he hasn't got electric pace over 10/45 yards, he's not big enough for a target man, nor good in the air.

the other stuff you mention will be of little use to a side playing with pace, it was only effective when in coco's just drag yourself down the field tiptap.

I very much doubt we'll be using 35 passes to get past 4 men when one decent ball and a knock on can take out more than half a side. 

Just had time to catch up with the news on the new signings and the most striking fact for me is the positivity from Bruce about not just new but existing players which we had not heard for a while. A long, long while. It's obviously early days but Bruce ranks high for me as a genuine guy who likes his players to play and is creating a positive atmosphere and a feel good factor which I cannot remember since the early Carlos days. That was funded with plenty of DC cash whereas this is just - well - natural.

19 hours ago, oldowl67 said:

100% this. Give FF the freedom to roam in the opposition half without the tracking back duties that can’t be avoided in the left midfield role. Encourage him and the centre forward to press the opposition high up the pitch.

Thing is with FF he scares the opposition into having 2 or 3 players concentrating on him. Creates all sorts of problems.

On 02/02/2019 at 21:12, gurujuan said:

He could easily have had five or six. The thing is, Bruce played him the right areas, not just stuck out on the left His finishing was a bit rusty, but it’s a long time since I’ve seen a Wednesday striker get in so many goal scoring positions. Fletcher though, is not the right partner

Ditto, looking down from the upper tier at Portman Road on Sat - it was incredible how many chances Fess got - amazing how they went astray just wasnt like him but hey goals will come.