Bruce on........FERNANDO

He's already complimenting him in the media, that won't do him any harm at all. Bruce will deffo get Fernando on it again IMO. Yesterday he looked dangerous and got into good positions. He got almost 90 mins and now a weeks break. The goals will come.

11 hours ago, NYCOWL said:

Despite how rusty he looks I thought he was a real threat. Still a top player on his day.

Absolutely, hardly had any game time in the last few months. We all know how good he can be when he feels loved and Bruce will blow smoke up his arse all day long if that's what it takes. 

Guest Willow Owl
30 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Looks as though he played well. He needs to knuckle down and continue that. On his day , he’s a real threat we all know that, but he’s done naff all for two years . He’s fortunate to play for Sheffield Wednesday , not the other way round 

He's spent a lot of time out injured in last 2 seasons. Knee op kept him out most of last season and when he got back fit (last ten games) he scored regularly and played well. This season started well, then been hampered by hamstring injuries.

Also the style of football last 2 seasons has been abysmal and hasn't made it conducive for him to play well. 

I think we are fortunate to still have him and look forward to Bruce getting the best out of him.

4 minutes ago, Finney on the Wing said:

I don't think playing Fernando on the wing has done his hamstring or his confidence any good.

Him and Hooper would be my preferred front two as the passing and link play would all be on the deck.

Fletcher's been great recently but Joao could displace him in the long term if he could just bulk up a bit.

Yeah, a bit more strength, and Joao could be our Tammy Abraham. Bruce actually likes a mobile centre forward, and if he doesn’t turn to Joao, then I’m sure he’ll bring one in over the summer

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yeah, a bit more strength, and Joao could be our Tammy Abraham. Bruce actually likes a mobile centre forward, and if he doesn’t turn to Joao, then I’m sure he’ll bring one in over the summer

I wouldn't swap Joao for Abraham, I know you wasn't necessarily saying you would. Abraham is a great goal scorer at this level but Joao has more ability, scores all kinds of goals and doesn't require the service Abraham does. 

10 hours ago, bobness said:

My grandad used to say that the only tools you need are WD40 and duct tape, with either one you could fix anything! I think Abdi requires the duct tape.

My grandad used to say that given the inclination with enough patience I reckon you could f**k a cat !

• Haha 2

WOAH!   Isn't it time we took a look at ourselves. Face facts We beat a side looking doomed for relegation by a LAST MINUTE GOAL. That hardly makes us Worldbeaters.

The team we played included ONE SB player, and that as a substitute. 

SB has been in post for two days prior to the game and has taken ONE practice, yet he is the new Messiah. 

I am NOT running down SB, in fact I approve his appointment, but we are playing the team that Jos 'built and f**ked about with.. I would venture to suggest that the kudos should fall on Agnew and his oppo. 

If yesterday's performance is the Steve Bruce standard, and I don't think for a minute it is, we are up a very long creek without even a canoe let alone a paddle.

I'm not trying to be a spoil sport, just waiting for the horse to be saddled before the race.

1 hour ago, Finney on the Wing said:

I don't think playing Fernando on the wing has done his hamstring or his confidence any good.

Him and Hooper would be my preferred front two as the passing and link play would all be on the deck.

Fletcher's been great recently but Joao could displace him in the long term if he could just bulk up a bit.

we've effed about with that for 4 year, it doesn't work.

26 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

WOAH!   Isn't it time we took a look at ourselves. Face facts We beat a side looking doomed for relegation by a LAST MINUTE GOAL. That hardly makes us Worldbeaters.

The team we played included ONE SB player, and that as a substitute. 

SB has been in post for two days prior to the game and has taken ONE practice, yet he is the new Messiah. 

I am NOT running down SB, in fact I approve his appointment, but we are playing the team that Jos 'built and f**ked about with.. I would venture to suggest that the kudos should fall on Agnew and his oppo. 

If yesterday's performance is the Steve Bruce standard, and I don't think for a minute it is, we are up a very long creek without even a canoe let alone a paddle.

I'm not trying to be a spoil sport, just waiting for the horse to be saddled before the race.

Bet you're fun to have a pint with.

Edited by Owlinator
  • Haha 4

A match sharp FF would have scored a couple of goals yesterday and it would be a different discussion on here.

Yep he is too greedy at times,  and can behave like a big kid but if we play an attacking style of play and get the ball to his feet in the right part of the pitch he will win games for us. 

If we play a defensive game and continually play long ball then forget it and play Atty instead.

I don’t envy Bruce trying to sort out the best forward permutation , it’s not easy.

15 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Bruce is a breath of fresh air after our last two managers. 

He's very competent, and a huge class above Clown and old Jos.

Makes me wonder where we'd be now if we'd had a proven manager like Bruce for 3 years, instead of Sage and Onion rejects.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deano said:

I wouldn't swap Joao for Abraham, I know you wasn't necessarily saying you would. Abraham is a great goal scorer at this level but Joao has more ability, scores all kinds of goals and doesn't require the service Abraham does. 

Personally I would love Joao to become the main attacking focal point of the team. 

He's got bags of ability but just feel he's not got enough physical presence at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dnhc said:

we've effed about with that for 4 year, it doesn't work.

No, the endless passing about at the back doesn't work - getting the ball forward quickly, to feet,

is what we've missed, especially while Hooper, Lee and FF have been missing.

You get found out just as much by lumping it forward time after time, as well as square passing.

2 hours ago, dnhc said:

how does 'fletcher's style' hold us back?, what 'style' of partner would you have for ff?, who from our squad would you replace him with? 

He needs a more mobile player alongside him, in my opinion. Out of those we have, Hooper if he was fit. If not, I’d be tempted to go with Joao. I do have reservations that Joao might not be strong enough to lead the line, but he might be worth a try. I think it’s an issue Bruce will resolve in the summer. Fletcher really needs a player like Dwight Gayle alongside him, but we don’t have anyone like that

• Like 1

20 hours ago, vulva said:

Old school man management. To get the best out of FF you tell him he’s the best player in Europe. Ego footballer. 

One problem is if the player starts to believe it and decides he needs to be the best paid player in the league and then throws a strop when you won't agree. He might even decide he could do better elsewhere.

It's a balancing act, make the player feel loved but also make him want to prove to you that he's the best.

9 hours ago, deano said:

.Abraham 64 championship games 45 goals …joao's record is t around 26 in 120 …...bruce will really go up in my estimation if he can pull off a straight swap deal with those two .