Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

1 minute ago, bladeshater said:

We have released hooper abdi boyd Jones I would guess over hundred grand a week saving 

I'd agree with that but if we're in as much trouble with P&S as we're led to believe, we need to release/sell some more to get a few more in. Plus our squad was too big last season anyway.

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

While you can’t discount need for full backs to get forward and create, their primary job is to defend, especially in a back four. I’d like to see Palmer get forward more often, he’s a good passer and now he knows how to time his runs, there’s no reason he should be able to deliver He is one of our best defenders though. Sometimes I think people’s idea of a good defender, would be someone like Reda, because of the goals he gets. It’s already getting a bit like that with Iorfa, who is nowhere near as good a defender as Palmer, but he gets forward, creates, and scores goals

Funny really considering some of the clangers and errors Palmer was hounded for under the last couple of managers. If Bruce can get Iorfa slightly better at defending too then that's a bonus. Depends on the system you play and how other players on the pitch use space and fill in, what runs they are told to make and etc but I do think having someone like Iorfa is more valuable than Palmer in the Championship. You say he's not a great defender yet I saw plenty of examples of him defending well for the team. He was involved in 12 games for us where we conceded 12 goals in total. 

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not at full back he isn’t, wing back yes

If we are to challenge at the top end of the division next year then we are going to need better than Liam Palmer it's ok being sound defensively but he still need's to be much better going forward. 

Edited by s6 owl

3 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Funny really considering some of the clangers and errors Palmer was hounded for under the last couple of managers. If Bruce can get Iorfa slightly better at defending too then that's a bonus. Depends on the system you play and how other players on the pitch use space and fill in, what runs they are told to make and etc but I do think having someone like Iorfa is more valuable than Palmer in the Championship. You say he's not a great defender yet I saw plenty of examples of him defending well for the team. He was involved in 12 games for us where we conceded 12 goals in total. 

Yes, I wasn’t meaning to rubbish Iorfa, he’s a great addition to the squad, and I’m more than happy with the signing

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

While you can’t discount need for full backs to get forward and create, their primary job is to defend, especially in a back four. I’d like to see Palmer get forward more often, he’s a good passer and now he knows how to time his runs, there’s no reason he should be able to deliver He is one of our best defenders though. Sometimes I think people’s idea of a good defender, would be someone like Reda, because of the goals he gets. It’s already getting a bit like that with Iorfa, who is nowhere near as good a defender as Palmer, but he gets forward, creates, and scores goals

When Palmer goes forward he still tends to struggle to get back & half he time looks like he can’t be bothered. He was much better last season than he has been before but he’s still an “average” championship player.

I agree a full back needs to defend well but a good attacking fullback can put the opposition on the back foot. As the old saying goes, attack is the best form of defence.

1 minute ago, s6 owl said:

If we are to challenge at the top end of the division next year then were going to need better than Liam Palmer it's ok being sound defensively but he still need's to be much better going forward. 

He does, but Odubajo isn’t good enough at right back He doesn’t even get into the Brentford side as a right back He is mainly used in midfield

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t disagree that defending element is first and foremost - but you have to chip in at the other end too. Palmer (unless I’m mistaken) had zero goals, zero assists last term in 30 or so appearances.  

Still is a great option to have, I’d agree in tougher games I’d rather him defending than some of our others but the names mentioned offer far more in terms of attacking ability at the same time as being solid championship defenders at same time. 

25 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Could do with a few through the door going the other way as well to balance the books.

100% pal

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Or it’s just daft rumours, or the manager has lost the plot

Every journalist will be linking every available player with us to fill column inches after the manager publicly stated he wants 5/6 new players.

As for the manager losing the plot?

that really doesn’t deserve a reply!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, casbahowl said:

Every journalist will be linking every available player with us to fill column inches after the manager publicly stated he wants 5/6 new players.

As for the manager losing the plot?

that really doesn’t deserve a reply!

Yes, let’s hope it’s just idle speculation

47 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

The drama with chasing high profile loans is you will be waiting all summer to the absolute last minute for the prem clubs to decide, am sure we will use the market at some point but we need a few through the door earlier 

High profile loans armt cheap either.