Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

6 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

I've no idea why Thorniley was dropped.  

He learnt so quickly, how to push and pull really experienced strikers....how to be cute, shepherd balls out well, when to play it, when to leather it, he's good in the air, doesn't seem to get nervous/overwhelmed.  Not afraid to say his piece.  Out of all of our players that came through, he is head and shoulders above them all.  

Why people want him loaned out is baffling.  

I don't think people want him loaned out but it maybe best for his progression 

4 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

He learnt so quickly, how to push and pull really experienced strikers....how to be cute, shepherd balls out well, when to play it, when to leather it, he's good in the air, doesn't seem to get nervous/overwhelmed.  Not afraid to say his piece.  Out of all of our players that came through, he is head and shoulders above them all.  

I completely agree. He’s an excellent young player. He’s not blessed with pace, height or particularly fantastic on the ball but he’s just a bloody good defender. No issues been in our staring eleven against a good team in the championship.

Guest wilyfox
46 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

Thorniley is the best thing to come out of our academy in years.

Err, we signed him following release from Everton when he was 19..

Just now, bladeshater said:

I don't think people want him loaned out but it maybe best for his progression 

Quite possibly.

It seems to me SB is looking to bring in leaders. Quite of the players that we have been linked with have been or are captains or their current / past team. I think SB will have noticed that we are very quiet vocally as a team.

• Like 1

At the risk of becoming a broken record - Thorniley has the potential to be our future captain. The consistency of his performance for a young player has been excellent, he's shown desire and attitude in abundance (remember when he got shoved out at left back and still played well?) and he's only going to get better.

We would be absolutely mad to sell him and I'd be very sceptical of loaning him out unless it was to another Championship team with a guarantee of regular game time.

14 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

He learnt so quickly, how to push and pull really experienced strikers....how to be a cute shepherds balls out well, when to play it, when to leather it, he's good in the air, doesn't seem to get nervous/overwhelmed.  Not afraid to say his piece.  Out of all of our players that came through, he is head and shoulders above them all.  

Is this a condition ?

Like bow legs 

Pigeon toed 

Knock Knee'd

Maybe Australianism for feeling Crooked ?

:duntmatter:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

The decade he spent at Everton certainly gave him a good platform

And so it should do what I’m saying is anyone that’s come from the academy isn’t on 30k a week they will be on low wages for a first team squad member 

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

£4.50 at my local.. I found reading my council tax bill more affective.

Paying it gives you full bowel elimination & cleanse that lasts a year. 

40 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Err, we signed him following release from Everton when he was 19..

I didn’t know that. Just read up, he captained their youth team to 2 Premier league titles. Clearly has the leadership quality as well as natural ability. Hopefully Bruce can bring him along further next season!

Unfortunately, Thorniley doesn’t have the physical attributes.  Height, pace, strength.

Whilst the likes of Carragher have proven that it’s possible to reach the top without these attributes, you have to be outstanding and therefore the odds drastically reduce.

Therefore, whilst I think Thorniley will have a professional career, I am struggling to see that being at Championship level or above.

He has certainly not yet shown that he is ready to be a first team regular at Championship level.  Also, this isn’t some young pup, he’s 23 in November.

8 hours ago, George said:

Burton O'Brien was raved about as the best player in the SPL outside the Old Firm. He simply wasn't good enough for the Championship. McLean and JP had done it in England already. Bullen was ok.  To be fair to Donnelly and O''Donnell it was more fitness than ability that was the problem and they weren't the only ones.

Burton O’Brien? No he wasn’t. You’ve just made that up. And with Donnelly it was absolutely to do with lack of ability as to why he was poor. He was bang average in Scotland too. 

4 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Unfortunately, Thorniley doesn’t have the physical attributes.  Height, pace, strength.

Whilst the likes of Carragher have proven that it’s possible to reach the top without these attributes, you have to be outstanding and therefore the odds drastically reduce.

Therefore, whilst I think Thorniley will have a professional career, I am struggling to see that being at Championship level or above.

He has certainly not yet shown that he is ready to be a first team regular at Championship level.  Also, this isn’t some young pup, he’s 23 in November.

He does have strength, and excellent timing, and alongside a dominant centre back, he can thrive. With a tall defensive midfielder in front, and enough height throughout the side, we should be able to stand up to the most physical bombardment

Just now, gurujuan said:

He does have strength, and excellent timing, and alongside a dominant centre back, he can thrive. With a tall defensive midfielder in front, and enough height throughout the side, we should be able to stand up to the most physical bombardment

We’ll agree to disagree.

And the fact you think he needs protecting from his other centre back and a defensive midfielder proves you’re not really feeling it either.

i hope I’m wrong but I suspect in 5 years, we’ll look back and see a steady League One or Two centre back.

22 hours ago, SmokieOwl36-0 said:

He was at Newcastle a couple of seasons back before going to Kilmarnock. I’ve asked Killie fans there thoughts on the lad so will post when I get replies. 

He’s decent but there are better young centre backs in the SPFL however they will be out of our price range. Findlay has been a very good player in a Killie team that has punched way above its weight this season. 

4 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

We’ll agree to disagree.

And the fact you think he needs protecting from his other centre back and a defensive midfielder proves you’re not really feeling it either.

i hope I’m wrong but I suspect in 5 years, we’ll look back and see a steady League One or Two centre back.

No I don’t see him as a weak link at all, far from it. I just feel we need a collective resilience to combat opponents 

Edited by gurujuan

18 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

He's got great strength and can read the game...he defends well and doesn't give much away in the air... I strongly disagree with your post ..he's 22 and was blooded into a nightmare with what was going on.

26 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

you mean like tom lees ? Who most people on here cream themselves over