Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

5 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Or Wing-backs?

Wouldn't be against Iorfa tucking inside to make a 3, but we'd need some wing backs, both starters and cover. 

We identified in the first half of last season that we dont have anyone who can play the wing back role effectively. 

40 minutes ago, Rogers said:

he played Gollini for half the season, who was absolutely rubbish 

That was a couple of seasons ago now, believe he was signed when they first came down and then left in the January.

In the second season they managed to get Sam Johnstone in from Man U who now plays for West Brown.

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe, I hope not, but if we do, then we won’t play with a number 10, because we’ll need two high energy midfield players, equally adept at attacking and defending. As I say, it’s not my ideal set up, but concede that it’s probably the system to get the best out of Fletcher

Its not just our system that matters though.

There is an increasing trend for the very high press in the Championship and the success of 'cheaper' teams such as Leeds and Pigs and to a lesser extent Norwich will mean this only increases. This style basically stops a team playing out from the back unless they are exceptionally brave at the back and earn the right to play. In that scenario any team has to lump it long from the keeper a lot of the time and you need a Fletcher type to compete and win the header. Bruce has shown that we are going to do this to other teams at times too at times, so there has to be a lot of energy in the front players to chase down. Midfielders have to play higher up the pitch and be more mobile than we have been for a couple of seasons. No more sitting back.

First season under CC high proportion of our goals were through us 'trapping' defenders or midfield players in possession about 40 yards from goal and getting the break from the mistake. FF was brilliant at it. Everybody is wise to that now. Things move on. Our new players will reflect this.

Edited by Peacenocchio
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, striker said:

Wouldn't be against Iorfa tucking inside to make a 3, but we'd need some wing backs, both starters and cover. 

We identified in the first half of last season that we dont have anyone who can play the wing back any role effectively. 

Corrected for you

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

Its not just our system that matters though.

There is an increasing trend for the very high press in the Championship and the success of 'cheaper' teams such as Leeds and Pigs and to a lesser extent Norwich will mean this only increases. This style basically stops a team playing out from the back unless they are exceptionally brave at the back and earn the right to play. In that scenario any team has to lump it long from the keeper a lot of the time and you need a Fletcher type to compete and win the header. Bruce has shown that we are going to do this to other teams at times too at times, so there has to be a lot of energy in the front players to chase down. Midfielders have to play higher up the pitch and be more mobile than we have been for a couple of seasons. No more sitting back.

First season under CC high proportion of our goals were through us 'trapping' defenders or midfield players in possession about 40 yards from goal and getting the break from the mistake. FF was brilliant at it. Everybody is wise to that now. Things move on. Our new players will reflect this.

Wasn't our high pressing style down to the first season Carlos did not work on the players fitness they had been drilled into keeping fit under Stuart Gray, we closed down the other team and ran for 90 minutes as the seasons went on with Carlos, less and less focus was on fitness and more on ball work and less focus on playing 90 minutes a lot of games taking us 20 minutes to get going. Probably the reason why we lost 14+ players to injuries with the majority of them being strain injuries taking a lot longer to come back from than they should

Get the team match fit and match sharp for the first game of the season, not 10 games in and I cannot see any season why we cannot press teams like this again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

If Bruce does opt to go for a new keeper I hope he has better luck than the two he recruited at Aston Villa......

Lovre Kalinic - £5.85m Croatian International Keeper, Signed January 2018 & has played just 7 games since then due to a knee injury.

Orjan-Nyland - £2.7m Started this season, played 23 games & conceded 34 goals, became a boo boy for the crowd, completely lost confidence and now can’t even get on the bench.

Kalanic was signed by Smith after Bruce. Bruce didn’t do too bad with Sam Johnstone, only couldn’t sign him because off the field problems with another take over that didn’t allow him to spend money till the end of that window, hence why they started poorly because they couldn’t replace Terry, Johnstone, Snodgrass and Grabban adequately. 

By the time they could spend Johnstone had moved to WBA. 

4 hours ago, Kanye West said:

It's a strange one, weren't he on a list of most promising youngsters?

He seemed to be scoring often enough and is still only young.

Yeah I think he was promising, won the Under 18's league, scored and assisted regularly. 

Can only think the fee, from the club he was contracted too, was too high. Came as a scholar, apprentice type thing. 

Maybe we're still looking very short term - over to you Eyad. Prove us wrong.

Which system to play is a big issue for Bruce. We have not had a balanced squad which fit a particular system for yonks .

Even when we were successful under Carlos Is was mainly through changing the system late in games.

We need to find the elusive system that allows us to be solid defensively yet have an attacking threat even against top sides.

All sides seek this and the ones who are successful are the ones that achieve it. This was what Norwich and United did better than anybody else last season.

With Bruce saying he wants 5 or 6 signings it does give him scope to solve the issue. The problem is the high paid players still under contract who don’t really fit the same system.

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

Which system to play is a big issue for Bruce. We have not had a balanced squad which fit a particular system for yonks .

Even when we were successful under Carlos Is was mainly through changing the system late in games.

We need to find the elusive system that allows us to be solid defensively yet have an attacking threat even against top sides.

All sides seek this and the ones who are successful are the ones that achieve it. This was what Norwich and United did better than anybody else last season.

With Bruce saying he wants 5 or 6 signings it does give him scope to solve the issue. The problem is the high paid players still under contract who don’t really fit the same system.

If there is any truth in those signings we’ve been linked with, he seems no clearer to sorting out a away of playing. I’m not sure the average championship player, will be particularly adept at switching systems for different occasions, and especially during a game. It’s perhaps something to work towards, but it would be better if we perfected a certain way of playing.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

If there is any truth in those signings we’ve been linked with, he seems no clearer to sorting out a away of playing. I’m not sure the average championship player, will be particularly adept at switching systems for different occasions, and especially during a game. It’s perhaps something to work towards, but it would be better if we perfected a certain way of playing.

That is exactly what I am saying.

We need to decide our way of playing and sign 6 players that help shape our squad to fit the chosen system.

I don’t think the signings of the German guy or Obadajudo have any impact on the system. We need a centre back and Bruce likes pacy full backs. I can see Iorfa on the right and Ob........ on the left.

The issue is the mismatch between a midfield that doesn’t suit 442 and strikers that probably do with most of the players still under contract.

If there is any truth in the Powell rumour then that potentially means he might be looking at 433.

To be fair to Jos he clearly understood this problem but his solution of changing our system every week depending on the opponents was nonsense.

6 hours ago, spike1867 said:

I said Choudhury earlier on in the season from Leicester, but he seems to have caught Rodgers eye with some good performances in the last few weeks.  He is the sort of strong defensive midfielder that we need.  He'd be a great addition if Leicester do decide to spend on a more established name, but I rather think the horse has bolted with that one.  Same with Barnes I think.  Rodgers seems to rate him, so can't imagine they will be going anywhere unfortunately.

Yes Choudhury would fit bill for that role. He has been starting games where Barnes has been on bench and coming on for last 15 minutes or so. Apparently they are said to be spending big and its often young players that lose place. Both these two lads they would like to be regularly playing so lets hope we are keeping eye on situation. Ampadu was rated highly at Chelsea but has not played much and not even been on bench. they have transfer ban which may mean some of most promising not sent out on loan bu manger said only 3 of thse are interesting. Hence Chelsea could be an hunting ground for players. From some of rumours flying around get feeling big changes are the on the way.

6 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

Had a random chat with Eyad Hammoud, he didn't seem over the moon about leaving, enjoyed his time here. Asked him why he's not staying, he said "the club decided it was best for me to move" 

Reading between the lines, I can only think Bruce/Chansiri felt whatever fee it was for Hammoud, was best spent elsewhere.

I said to Hammoud, I'd seen alot of his goals, plays like Shaqiri for Liverpool and best of luck for the future.

Strange one. Maybe his wage demands for a youth player broke our wage structure? 

56 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

I think he just wasn't rated as highly as some on here thought 

Very very small for an out an out CF which you can get away with if you've got pace... He's quick but not lightning quick. 

14 minutes ago, Drewswfc said:

Isn't there a new rule coming in this summer restricting the amount of players clubs can have out on loan? Could mean a lot of promising young'uns released

I think the powers that be got fed up with Chelski`s 200 players out on loan .