Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

Guest gizowl
3 hours ago, frastheowl said:

I understand your argument, but since he's returned from the abyss, he's missed four games through injury. 

He's played in 19 out of the 23 games he was available for. That's only just above 80% of games. 

Last season, he started in under 40% of the games, and had to come off injured in one of those games. The season before, he had a good run, but still managed to complete less than 90% of the games. In the 15/16 season, he either missed or failed to complete 90 minutes in 14 games...missing nearly 30% of the season. 

The stats emphasise the risks. The club are very wary of offering Westwood a long term deal, and seeing him sit a significant amount of time of the contract out in the stands, like he has done throughout the majority of his time here.

I keep saying it...but goalkeepers, generally, don't miss games through injury. Westwood misses games on a regular basis, over a number of seasons. 

I don't argue the fact that it'll cost a fair bit of money to get better than Westwood. In fact, I don't think we'll get better than Westwood. However, although a fantastic goalkeeper is a great commodity to have, you can still be very successful in this division with a steady goalkeeper. Look at Norwich with Tim Krul. Leeds spent half a season when they were dominating the division with a very average rookie goalkeeper in goal. 

If Westwood chooses to chase the money, I've no doubt Bruce will have alternatives up his sleeve. 

At the end of the day, no club should be held to ransom by any player...nevermind a club edging perilously close to P&S limits, with a player who perhaps has only one or two seasons left at this level.  

Agree with you, I think a 1 yr deal with his injury record is sensible, I'm sure theirs good alternatives, the Pigs found 2, yrs running, the lad from Chelsea and Henderson. I'd also try to offload either Dawson or Wildsmith cause I don't think their adequate back up. 

5 hours ago, malek said:

Well, that was my point. They are different type of players, playing different role in different formation.

But I guess that Powell could be just as influential player for us as Diame was for Hull back then.

Powell is more a midfielder than a striker just like Diame was is more of what I am getting at.

Whereas all the players we have who could fill that role are more of a striker.

Think Bruce wants his no 10 to also be able to help out in midfield and not just attack.

6 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

I don't think there is going to be as much change around as some people think, I can see one or two under contract being moved on, but providing the 3 out of contract sign up, I reckon we might only bring in 4 or 5 at the most, as long as it's quality over quantity. 

The manager's most famous signing was Christophe Dugarry so I'm looking forward to Payet coming over from cash-strapped Marseille 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Powell is more a midfielder than a striker just like Diame was is more of what I am getting at.

Whereas all the players we have who could fill that role are more of a striker.

Think Bruce wants his no 10 to also be able to help out in midfield and not just attack.

The biggest problem we have is what’s ahead of a number 10. Whether it’s a passer like Eriksen, or a more traditional number 10 like Hazard, they still need a centre forward with pace and movement in front of them. It doesn’t have to be rocket pace, Kane proves that, but they have to have good movement, and be a good finisher.

17 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The biggest problem we have is what’s ahead of a number 10. Whether it’s a passer like Eriksen, or a more traditional number 10 like Hazard, they still need a centre forward with pace and movement in front of them. It doesn’t have to be rocket pace, Kane proves that, but they have to have good movement, and be a good finisher.

If we sell Forestieri and Joao Bruce may look to bring someone else in. if not I think his priority will be pace out wide.

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

If we sell Forestieri and Joao Bruce may look to bring someone else in. if not I think his priority will be pace out wide.

Even if we don’t sell those two, we need someone centrally who can run in behind. So many goals at this level, are scored in that way. Whatever the role of the number 10, they won’t thrive playing behind the blunt instrument, that is Steven Fletcher. If we are to persist with Fletcher, he will need someone quick alongside him, in which case, we won’t be playing with a number 10

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Even if we don’t sell those two, we need someone centrally who can run in behind. So many goals at this level, are scored in that way. Whatever the role of the number 10, they won’t thrive playing behind the blunt instrument, that is Steven Fletcher. If we are to persist with Fletcher, he will need someone quick alongside him, in which case, we won’t be playing with a number 10

Think its more likely we will go back to a 4-4-2 with two wingers with Fletcher and Rhodes up front.

Just now, pazowl55 said:

Think its more likely we will go back to a 4-4-2 with two wingers with Fletcher and Rhodes up front.

Maybe, I hope not, but if we do, then we won’t play with a number 10, because we’ll need two high energy midfield players, equally adept at attacking and defending. As I say, it’s not my ideal set up, but concede that it’s probably the system to get the best out of Fletcher

23 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe, I hope not, but if we do, then we won’t play with a number 10, because we’ll need two high energy midfield players, equally adept at attacking and defending. As I say, it’s not my ideal set up, but concede that it’s probably the system to get the best out of Fletcher

Exactly. 

Rhodes and Fletcher look the most likely to still be at the club next season of all our strikers and we know Bruce wants pace out wide and high energy midfielders. 

Looks like the way he is going to me.

5 minutes ago, Owls s18 said:

Talking to a Norwich season ticket holder yesterday, who said they were happy with Rhodes and would be up for signing him ! 

I can totally see that. In Premiership wages he's small fry, probably hasn't achieved a promotion bonus as not their player and wouldn't cost the earth. He also seems to love the area and is happy to play second fiddle. He doesn't get injured often too.

As an impact player when you're chasing a game he could work well for them. A 6 million payment for someone with his goalscoring record wouldn't be bad business. I could totally see Norwich looking to keep him.

2 minutes ago, swfcGibbo said:

I can totally see that. In Premiership wages he's small fry, probably hasn't achieved a promotion bonus as not their player and wouldn't cost the earth. He also seems to love the area and is happy to play second fiddle. He doesn't get injured often too.

As an impact player when you're chasing a game he could work well for them. A 6 million payment for someone with his goalscoring record wouldn't be bad business. I could totally see Norwich looking to keep him.

On some other thread I dug out a stat from Transfermarkt that his goals to minutes ratio this season would have been good for about 15-17 goals this season based on the amount of minutes Fletcher played and I think that was without the hat trick in the cup.  If we get a decent fee for him, then I'd be happy for him to go.  Otherwise, I really would like to see if SB can get the best out of him.  Norwich struck gold with Pukki, he had his golden season.  I think Rhodes went to Norwich thinking he'd be in with a shout of a starting spot each week. 

Just having a look round too, I'm not sure if the Pope is already dead on this, but there was a report....

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/05/05/report-sheffield-wednesday-bag-six-figure-bonus-from-jordan-rhod/

that we bagged a 6 figure sum as a result of Norwich going up as part of Rhodes' deal to Norwich.  So on top of any loan fee we received and the savings in wages, it has turned out to be a decent bit of business.

I know the source is questionable, but they are referencing a story in the Sun on Sunday.

Apologies if already reported on a thread somewhere.

14 hours ago, Quist said:

I am not sure which pacey forwards will be available from leading Premiership clubs on loan but we will be in for one of them. It would not be a surprise to see us go for Dwight Gayle whose record at Championship level is good.

Leicester are reportedly going to spend big this summer which may mean one or two of their young players who are currently on bench may not be in matchday 18 so could be available. This could apply to someone like Harvey Barnes who was excellent at Championship level.

I said Choudhury earlier on in the season from Leicester, but he seems to have caught Rodgers eye with some good performances in the last few weeks.  He is the sort of strong defensive midfielder that we need.  He'd be a great addition if Leicester do decide to spend on a more established name, but I rather think the horse has bolted with that one.  Same with Barnes I think.  Rodgers seems to rate him, so can't imagine they will be going anywhere unfortunately.

10 hours ago, gizowl said:

Agree with you, I think a 1 yr deal with his injury record is sensible, I'm sure theirs good alternatives, the Pigs found 2, yrs running, the lad from Chelsea and Henderson. I'd also try to offload either Dawson or Wildsmith cause I don't think their adequate back up. 

If Bruce does opt to go for a new keeper I hope he has better luck than the two he recruited at Aston Villa......

Lovre Kalinic - £5.85m Croatian International Keeper, Signed January 2018 & has played just 7 games since then due to a knee injury.

Orjan-Nyland - £2.7m Started this season, played 23 games & conceded 34 goals, became a boo boy for the crowd, completely lost confidence and now can’t even get on the bench.

Had a random chat with Eyad Hammoud, he didn't seem over the moon about leaving, enjoyed his time here. Asked him why he's not staying, he said "the club decided it was best for me to move" 

Reading between the lines, I can only think Bruce/Chansiri felt whatever fee it was for Hammoud, was best spent elsewhere.

I said to Hammoud, I'd seen alot of his goals, plays like Shaqiri for Liverpool and best of luck for the future.

Edited by bigash_swfc

Just now, bigash_swfc said:

Had a random chat with Eyad Hammoud, he didn't seem over the moon about leaving, enjoyed his time here. Asked him why he's not staying, he said "the club decided it was best for me to move" 

Reading between the lines, I can only think Bruce/Chansiri felt whatever fee it was for Hammoud, was best spent elsewhere.

I said to Hammoud, I'd seen alot of his goals, plays like a young Shaqiri for Liverpool and best of luck for the future.

It's a strange one, weren't he on a list of most promising youngsters?

He seemed to be scoring often enough and is still only young.

46 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

If Bruce does opt to go for a new keeper I hope he has better luck than the two he recruited at Aston Villa......

Lovre Kalinic - £5.85m Croatian International Keeper, Signed January 2018 & has played just 7 games since then due to a knee injury.

Orjan-Nyland - £2.7m Started this season, played 23 games & conceded 34 goals, became a boo boy for the crowd, completely lost confidence and now can’t even get on the bench.

he played Gollini for half the season, who was absolutely rubbish