Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

9 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

People also like to highlight the fact that Brentford haven't yet made it to the Prem and that they arent much better than us in terms of recent league positions. But those people also forget that the way they run their club has allowed them to establish themselves league above their historical average whereas we are a league below where we expect and want to be. 

90% of this league are below where they want to be and I bet many clubs don’t have a historical average of the top division any longer. Brentford would of course want to go up, but because it’s not the be all and end all they can play like that and without pressure. 

Buying and selling is important to maintain a challenge but likewise being one big shop window can be counter productive. We all want to be successful. 

Guest wilyfox
1 hour ago, Suzuki_San said:

As I said in another thread, our legal team don't do recruitment!  And vice-versa.  It's easy to do more than one thing at once.  We all do it every day.

You're doing it now.  Breathing heavily and reading.  :happy:  And now smiling. 

May depend on whether there's an order in which DC prefers to do things. He might be thinking manager before transfers. Ordinarily, yes, but would be a mistake - in my opinion - so close to deadline. 

7 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Brentford are extremly well run and go about their business the right way

They sign young players with potential for next to nothing and sell them on for millions. Andre Gray, Hogan, Woods to name a few

The right way for them perhaps. Most of the players they sell go and get promoted elsewhere. If any decent sized club sold at the rate they did and finished mid table every year there would be hell on.

Giving them extra credit just because they used to be really sh17 is kind of besides the point in my view as every club in this league should be trying to achieve promotion. 

I suppose there is always the school of thought that one year they get a potent mix and go up, rather than build a side over 2/3 years but that would buck the trend a bit. 

13 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Pigs planning to break their transfer record twice more this summer. Tw@ts. 

Let em spend cos wasting big fees on players unproven  in prem or absolute clowns. 

Obv could do well but it’s a risk. 

Seems like apart from Ravel they planning for next season in champ. 

Maybe CW can get them firing who knows. 

Ravel good player but don’t think he’s prolific is he?

Brentford amazing at getting massive fees for players never heard of. Unbelievable really as soon as we mention fees for our players it’s classed as a joke.

first time I’ve noticed them actually signing players for decent fees too. 

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Who cares, like genuinely? Am I alone in not giving one single feck in what that lot do or what 

8 hours ago, akbuk said:

Can't see us being out of the top 6 all year

Really? I don’t think we’ll be a million miles away, but IMO the top 6 is far from guaranteed with our current squad. 

Fulham, Cardiff, Leeds and West Brom all look stronger than we do, then we’ll be up against the likes of Derby, Boro, Brentford, the inevitable wildcard contender like Preston, maybe Bristol or Stoke...

If we get this managerial appointment right then it could be a good season, but there’s a lot in the balance for me as it stands. Mainly I’m worried we’ll do our usual and hobble ourselves with a slow start, leaving us to have to climb up the table though the winter. At least Strudwick’s hard work in pre-season should help prevent our form from being excessively impacted by injuries.

10 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

I promise this isn’t sour grapes,

I think their signings so far have been very meh!!! 

In fact, I would say it’s like they are signing players for 20/21 season in the championship 

1 minute ago, waddleisgod said:

I promise this isn’t sour grapes,

I think their signings so far have been very meh!!! 

In fact, I would say it’s like they are signing players for 20/21 season in the championship 

Makes sense

8 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Really? I don’t think we’ll be a million miles away, but IMO the top 6 is far from guaranteed with our current squad. 

Fulham, Cardiff, Leeds and West Brom all look stronger than we do, then we’ll be up against the likes of Derby, Boro, Brentford, the inevitable wildcard contender like Preston, maybe Bristol or Stoke...

If we get this managerial appointment right then it could be a good season, but there’s a lot in the balance for me as it stands. Mainly I’m worried we’ll do our usual and hobble ourselves with a slow start, leaving us to have to climb up the table though the winter. At least Strudwick’s hard work in pre-season should help prevent our form from being excessively impacted by injuries.

Agreed. Still a long way off a promotion challenge. Squad needed refreshing. 

8 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

I'm still failing to see the Leeds love in. Sold their best centre half and not replaced him. Their fans are going nuts at the thought of having Berardi at centre half.

I'd also say Pablo Hernandez is now 34. I might be wrong here but id be stunned if he maintained his performances from last year.

12 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Fulham spent a fortune on shyte 

Spending money doesn't always mean the signings will work. As we know well.

Wilder has a good eye though. They could do a Burnley and stay up long term, but I'd stay they are odds on to get relegated.

Pigs' signings are not particularly inspiring

I would be disappointed if we had just got promoted and made their signings

I would have expected them to be in for the likes of Charlie Austin and Jay Rodriguez but instead have brought in Callum Robinson from PNE. He might be decent but you would expect better 

14 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

I would have expected them to be in for the likes of Charlie Austin and Jay Rodriguez but instead have brought in Callum Robinson from PNE. He might be decent but you would expect better 

As much as I hate to say it I think their policy has been sensible. They are going after the best young Championship players with huge potential, along with veteran experience on the cheap.

They could well step up & do well in the Premiership, and if they don't they know they can perform in the league below & won't have a crippling wage bill. 

Morrison is that wild card that could provide the quality at a bargain price, again on a 1 year deal so is risk free. 

28 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

Wilder has the knack of getting the best out of players, dont be surprised if they do better than most are predicting, think we need to concentrate on our own current situation, the season is about upon us

1 hour ago, swfcGibbo said:

I'm still failing to see the Leeds love in. Sold their best centre half and not replaced him. Their fans are going nuts at the thought of having Berardi at centre half.

I'd also say Pablo Hernandez is now 34. I might be wrong here but id be stunned if he maintained his performances from last year.

Think Jansson was a little bit overrated myself, though it does depend if Bielsa actually gets to bring in a ball-playing centre half as a replacement. Must admit I didn’t know Hernandez is that old though.