Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

5 minutes ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

On the previous page Nightowl mentioned, if funds were available to try and get Hector and Morsey in. I understand why, but in terms of CB, at the moment we have Lees, Iorfa, Borner, Van Aken, Thorniley,  Fox and Hutch if the latter 2 are required. Seems a lot of options s for me, and not unlike our  long list of strikers.

If funds can be freed, or loans utilised, we desperately need midfield and wide players, so create some balance and options s within the squad. Not withstanding the good points Nightowl raised.

That's fair enough and a good point. Bruce has got a few areas still to strengthen and he did suggest, he'd prefer to reduce the squad, rather than increase it. Think he prefers working with less numbers, quality over quantity. Loanees and out of contracts would be a smart way to go about it. Hector still is key for me due to how well he fitted in, that sort of impact would be hard to find and replicate. The numbers in defence and in attack, suggest we'll have numerous options but also suggest, we'll probably sacrifice a few of them if possible. Like you said, we need to strike a balance and utilise the loan market. I'm sure we will but I'm still hoping we'll somehow manage to bring back Hector, as to own a player like that, who fitted in so well, would be a great solid foundation to build around. I expect us to also try and fill some of the gaps or other areas needed strengthening with some quality loanees, if possible.

2 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Charltons dodgy owners and low budget makes me think he'll not be making a return to them. Could see him signing for a good championship team or someone like the pigs in the Prem. 

He was pretty awful at Birmingham, so it will be interesting to see what he makes of the championship second time around

4 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

That's fair enough and a good point. Bruce has got a few areas still to strengthen and he did suggest, he'd prefer to reduce the squad, rather than increase it. Think he prefers working with less numbers, quality over quantity. Loanees and out of contracts would be a smart way to go about it. Hector still is key for me due to how well he fitted in, that sort of impact would be hard to find and replicate. The numbers in defence and in attack, suggest we'll have numerous options but also suggest, we'll probably sacrifice a few of them if possible. Like you said, we need to strike a balance and utilise the loan market. I'm sure we will but I'm still hoping we'll somehow manage to bring back Hector, as to own a player like that, who fitted in so well, would be a great solid foundation to build around. I expect us to also try and fill some of the gaps or other areas needed strengthening with some quality loanees, if possible.

It’s a strange one, we are oversubscribed in some areas of defence and attack, and you suspect players will have to leave from each department. It hasn’t stopped the manager adding to those defensive areas though, so presumably he can do the same with the attack

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s a strange one, we are oversubscribed in some areas of defence and attack, and you suspect players will have to leave from each department. It hasn’t stopped the manager adding to those defensive areas though, so presumably he can do the same with the attack

That's true, I think as long as Bruce can bring in his targets and also get some quality loanees, I would expect us to offload quite a few players and/or loan out some of our own young players too? So far the priorities have looked like pace and solidity, the balance should take more shape once we start loaning in some extra quality and loaning out and shipping more out.

1 minute ago, The Night-Owl said:

That's true, I think as long as Bruce can bring in his targets and also get some quality loanees, I would expect us to offload quite a few players and/or loan out some of our own young players too? So far the priorities have looked like pace and solidity, the balance should take more shape once we start loaning in some extra quality and loaning out and shipping more out.

Didn't SB say that no on one had bid for any of our players?  We can't just wish them away.  

Maybe one or two loan signings and that will conclude our trading business.  We go with what we have. 

Just now, Mycroft said:

Didn't SB say that no on one had bid for any of our players?  We can't just wish them away.  

Maybe one or two loan signings and that will conclude our trading business.  We go with what we have. 

We'll have to see because that could be a way of trying to speed things up, like in a similar way to asking to lower the asking prices? I'd still expect quite a bit of wheeling and dealing or loaning in and out. Hopefully Bruce can still be able to wiggle in his targets, in spite of the difficulty to ship players out. I trust in Bruce to get the balance right and to make us a contender, whether we more or less go with what we have or can still manoeuvre in extra quality in areas that we need it. The main thing that for me gives us a shot at it, is having a manager like Bruce, I'm sure he'll use his contacts to get in some quality loanees and more than any signings or dealings, having Bruce is the best business we've done as a club in a long time.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I wanted Vaulks, but that's done now. Forget Morsy, he'd just depreciate until worthless in 2-3yrs. Forget Cattermole whose best days are behind him. Younger competition for Hutch in the form of Krystian Bielik or Trevoh Chalobah is the road I want us to go down. 

I was waiting for Trevoh Chalobah to be suggested. He looks good on Wiki 

I don't know if it's coincidence or a wider problem with modern Prem Academy setups ... Think of the mental weaknesses of Onomah and you'll get a sense of Chalobah 

Think of a timid Semedo, or Hutchinson without his 'presence'  on the pitch 

As with Onomah, there's some ability there, but I'm not convinced Trevoh is ready to be a tough tackling leader figure

2 minutes ago, camffiti said:

I don't know if it's coincidence or a wider problem with modern Prem Academy setups ... Think of the mental weaknesses of Onomah and you'll get a sense of Chalobah 

As with Onomah, there's some ability there, but I'm not convinced Trevoh is ready to be a tough tackling leader figure

I kind of get what you mean there, but they don’t really profess to be those type of players. They probably see themselves more of an all action type of midfielder, rather than a sitting midfielder. I think both could do the deep lying midfielder, but not in the way Hutch does it. Sometimes though, especially when we try and play in a two, a player like Hutch doesn’t work, because he can’t venture forward, which leaves too big a gap between him and the more creative one Hence why you often see Bannan sitting really deep, usually alongside Hutchinson, because he doesn’t want to leave that gap in midfield, meaning the whole side ends up playing too deep

14 minutes ago, camffiti said:

Trevor Chalobah is living off his elder brother's coat tails, he's half the player Nath Chalobah is, looked bang average when I saw him at Ipswich last year.

Edited by Minton

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I kind of get what you mean there, but they don’t really profess to be those type of players. They probably see themselves more of an all action type of midfielder, rather than a sitting midfielder. I think both could do the deep lying midfielder, but not in the way Hutch does it. Sometimes though, especially when we try and play in a two, a player like Hutch doesn’t work, because he can’t venture forward, which leaves too big a gap between him and the more creative one Hence why you often see Bannan sitting really deep, usually alongside Hutchinson, because he doesn’t want to leave that gap in midfield, meaning the whole side ends up playing too deep

Was no councidence how results improved when Hutchinson returned. As for your Bannan quote check his assists and goals last season before Hutchinsons return and after. These would suggest Bannan got much more forward with SM on the park.

2 minutes ago, Minton said:

Imagine if it was a typo and we were re-signing Tom Soares :duntmatter:

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yeah, good points. From what I've seen though, he just didn't seem mentally up to it (yet).

Tbf, that was one hell of a cluster f*ck season for him to deal with :duntmatter: 

46 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

We'll have to see because that could be a way of trying to speed things up, like in a similar way to asking to lower the asking prices? I'd still expect quite a bit of wheeling and dealing or loaning in and out. Hopefully Bruce can still be able to wiggle in his targets, in spite of the difficulty to ship players out. I trust in Bruce to get the balance right and to make us a contender, whether we more or less go with what we have or can still manoeuvre in extra quality in areas that we need it. The main thing that for me gives us a shot at it, is having a manager like Bruce, I'm sure he'll use his contacts to get in some quality loanees and more than any signings or dealings, having Bruce is the best business we've done as a club in a long time.

Think the finances will have more of a say than Bruce, I'm afraid.

7 minutes ago, camffiti said:

Yeah, good points. From what I've seen though, he just didn't seem mentally up to it (yet).

Tbf, that was one hell of a cluster f*ck season for him to deal with :duntmatter: 

Ha yeah, wasn’t it just

9 minutes ago, SmokieOwl36-0 said:

Anyone who goes to the youth games got info about the youngster James Murphy who we had a couple of seasons back (2016-18)? He’s on trial at my home team Arbroath

Did ok, wasn't quite up to it in the end.

Went over to the MLS with newly formed LAFC. Think he made one appearance and that was that...

@LUFC 

#LUFC can confirm the arrival of Rafa Mújica from FC Barcelona, with the forward initially linking up with Carlos Corberan's U23s side

Never heard of him ... Hopefully he's more Rodri than Rodri 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, camffiti said:

Never heard of him ... Hopefully he's more Rodri than Rodri 

Haha.

Rodri.

What a player he was. Scored a random wonder goal and then turned into something like Larry May standard. Bizarre.