Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

We were under the same limits then as we are now, we just hadn’t hit the cap. I’m not suggesting we haven’t made mistakes and we need to address things to maintain a challenge. But interesting that those who sell all their players never make the top six.

The overall point im trying to make and have been for a last 3 seasons is not that we should or need to sell or keep all of our top players. Its that we needed to sell certain individuals at the right time. Which would have allowed us to avoid soft embargos, the sort negative finanical position that causes stagnation of the playing squad (and negative momentum throughout the whole club). This has been profoundly true for our squad. It might have also allowed us to make some key signings that weren't possible when we were under the soft embargos. Theres a reason why we've had 18 absolute poo months before Bruce came in. We completely collapsed and stagnated. A better prepared FFP plan could have avoided that. Thankfully we are moving in the right direction now... i think. 

7 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

We were under the same limits then as we are now, we just hadn’t hit the cap. I’m not suggesting we haven’t made mistakes and we need to address things to maintain a challenge. But interesting that those who sell all their players never make the top six.

Blades sold Brookes, Norwich sold Maddison and both made top two.

54 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Let put the Bristol city scenario into a Wednesday slant. City get Desilva in on loan for the season at full back and does well but at the same time helps Kelly to improve. The then sell Kelly for a fee rising to £12m and bring in Desilva for £2m they are £10m better off and their team will improve.

If this was us we get Hector in but at the same time it helps to Improve Thorniley we get an offer of £5m for Thorniley and with the money use £3m to sign Hector and have £2m in the bank.

This is what we could be doing developing youth, to help balance the books but also improve the team by bringing better players in and also the improving the finances with the balance of the money not used on the new recruits.

We as a club are very bad at taking good under 18 players and developing them into first team players until we get this right we will never truly be able to compete with the other promotion challenging teams in this league. 

Sweet Jesus this post is far to sensible and on the money for Owlstalk

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Blades sold Brookes, Norwich sold Maddison and both made top two.

True. One single huge sale per club which can happen at even the biggest club. But were talking about Bristol City and Brentford’s approach as being the answer whereby they churn many players which hasn’t yielded a playoff spot even. 

As as I said we need a balance as achieved by the likes of derby who sell one big player but seem to re invest well. 

Edited by Bluesteel

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

I really don’t understand why DC seems so against selling players. It sounds like he massively overvalues them. It is essential we sell to generate money and freshen up the squad. 

This has, and looks like continuing to be his biggest downfall 

It's all well and good selling a decent player for £12-15m, but unless you can find a replacement for less than the money received, what is the point?

Derby are being used as an example to follow, but despite selling players, they haven't managed promotion and had to sell their ground to pass the P&S as well. If they continue to sell and continue to miss out on promotion, they'll gradually slide down the league as instead of having 3 or 4 top quality players they'll have 7 or 8 decent players

5 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I really don’t understand why DC seems so against selling players. It sounds like he massively overvalues them. It is essential we sell to generate money and freshen up the squad. 

The Owlstalk Massiff grossly underestimates current transfer values though 

£50mil minimum for Joooost :Chansiri: 

2 minutes ago, Minton said:

It's all well and good selling a decent player for £12-15m, but unless you can find a replacement for less than the money received, what is the point?

Derby are being used as an example to follow, but despite selling players, they haven't managed promotion and had to sell their ground to pass the P&S as well. If they continue to sell and continue to miss out on promotion, they'll gradually slide down the league as instead of having 3 or 4 top quality players they'll have 7 or 8 decent players

Its not even just selling players to generate a few quid , it’s selling them to address the ridiculous un-balance of the squad 

2 minutes ago, Minton said:

In comparison we kept our players. Our squad stagnated. Our player values will have dropped. The football got poo . Fans got unhappy. We went through 2 managers and 2 soft transfer embargos. Id have rather sold a Fessi when interest came in to avoid a lot of that poo . 

• Thanks 1

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

In comparison we kept our players. Our squad stagnated. Our player values will have dropped. The football got poo . Fans got unhappy. We went through 2 managers and 2 soft transfer embargos. Id have rather sold a Fessi when interest came in to avoid a lot of that poo . 

In hindsight, I think we should have sold him. But hindsight is a wonderful thing and at the time, Forestieri was integral to our play-off push. Who would we have replaced him with?

2 minutes ago, westy365owl said:

Hopefully will see some bits announced today as one of academy kids has posted that hes signed a new contract today 

Yeah seen that 

Be nice if the club announced it first though, for him aswell as us 

3 minutes ago, Minton said:

In hindsight, I think we should have sold him. But hindsight is a wonderful thing and at the time, Forestieri was integral to our play-off push. Who would we have replaced him with?

You do realise he barely played over the last 2 seasons, don't you?!

9 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I really don’t understand why DC seems so against selling players. 

He wants to be idolised. Craves the love we all showed him, in his first 2 years in charge.

We could do with getting the message to him, sell when we receive good offers. He's in too deep financially, there's no profit to be made in the grand scheme of things. 

I honestly think if we sell Joao for 8m, he'd bring in 2 players with the same potential as Joao. His heart is in the right place.

Just now, Minton said:

I don't think that we could have replaced him with anyone because of the people conducting transfer business at the club during that time. Hence why we have spent and wasted so much money on poo players. The whole scenario is a big blend of us not selling players at the right time. Not buying players and increasing their value but instead paying top whack for players and decreasing their value. The common denominator for all of the above is the regime we had in place to conduct transfer business. It was poor. Pretty laughable in fact. All that they had in their favour was a big wedge of cash, that basically got eaten away by hungry agents and past it players. Thankfully we made a few shrewd signgings in that time that might save us in the future. 

8 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

My opinion, and I've never met the man, is that he's fundamentally a nice man, values relationships and loyalty. Many times he's spoken about the Sheffield Wednesday family. I think he just finds it difficult to "send family away" if they're happy here. Just look at his loyalty to Carlos and Jos (OK, Stuart Gray was quickly shunted away). Add his admitted naivety of football dealings and our family gets bigger and bigger.

Just now, hawksmore said:

You do realise he barely played over the last 2 seasons, don't you?!

The interest in Forestieri was before he was injured. I'd also add that in his first 2 seasons here he was our top goalscorer