Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

While I don’t believe it was right for Jos to throw so many of the youngsters in, mainly because they weren’t good enough, you do have to persist with the ones you believe have a chance. When we say on here, why can’t we invest in the young talent like Brentford or Bristol City do, are we prepared to be patient. For example, I’d rather us back young Penney at left back, rather than bring in a more experienced player like Bidwell. The case for Dawson is different, because GK is a key position and we need the keeper to command his area, something Dawson cannot yet do. Would we have the courage to use the more talented, but inconsistent Joao up front? At Brentford, they would never choose a player like Fletcher over the Portuguese Maybe it’s because they couldn’t afford his wages, but I believe they would always go with the younger more talented player, even if short term, he proved more unreliable. At those clubs, with the pressure off, it’s all about developing the player, normally to sell on at a profit Would we as fans, have the patience, if we took that approach

All true but we want the playoffs. We have still achieved more of those in recent seasons than Bristol C, Brentford and Preston who are profitable in that regard.

1 hour ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Bristol city develop a player sell him for £12 MIIIion  re invest in team 2 quality signings .Leeds selling youth products big money re investing in team .And what do we do ? Same product ,Don't produce no youth and sign players that have had injury problems .Look at the record of the players we are signing .Bruce might change things with the youth products ,But our youth development for a long time now has been terrible.

Despite that we’ve been closer than any of those teams have since DC arrived.

Agree we need to build elements of this and sell players at the correct time to keep within FFP though. We need to be able to have room in the accounts to buy/loan the players who will make an impact that particular season.

Edited by Bluesteel
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Night-Owl said:

Even before their recent business, I fancied them to be one of the dark horses. I got a feeling it could be their year. Sooner or later a club like Bristol City or Brentford will go up. Investing in youth and bargains, and selling for big money is the way to go at this level. Even the top teams sell players. It's easy to see how we stagnated and fell behind before Bruce came in but hopefully DC's learned and once the accounts are filed, we'll start doing things the right way. We've already begun making some progressive steps on and off the pitch since Bruce came in and by being astute without breaking the bank like in the past and getting a few players out, we could still give it a go this season. Whilst we've got Bruce, we've got a chance. Sort ourselves out off the pitch and doing things the right way, our chances will increase.

If they keep selling they need to keep finding the next ones. The lack of pressure does help and allows that kind of surprise we sprung in 2015 but as soon as the pressure arrives it all changes. I think there’s a reason why those clubs generally finish outside the top six and the  spenders get up, but unless you go up quickly you (we) need to find that middle ground in order to maintain a challenge. Derby are the example of a team who have sold well but maintained a core squad and buy a threatening player each summer from the proceeds. 

1 minute ago, marcx666 said:

Player mutiny apparently. Alot were p*ssed off with his methods so threw their toys out of the plan. Some random Frenchman is been lined up to replace him.

They've hired him now.

That Greek owner they have is a loony. Despite his economic failures, glad we have Chansiri at our helm.

2 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

With the right manager, I'd be patient, if we had to be astute and take our time gradually progressing and doing things smarter. Bruce, I believe is the right man. So, yes I would be patient with him, has long has he's trusted and backed, things are improved off the pitch, we will eventually get it right. I can't speak for the whole fanbase but with managers like Bruce, you need to trust them, let them do things their way and not mess them about or get too impatient.

Let put the Bristol city scenario into a Wednesday slant. City get Desilva in on loan for the season at full back and does well but at the same time helps Kelly to improve. The then sell Kelly for a fee rising to £12m and bring in Desilva for £2m they are £10m better off and their team will improve.

If this was us we get Hector in but at the same time it helps to Improve Thorniley we get an offer of £5m for Thorniley and with the money use £3m to sign Hector and have £2m in the bank.

This is what we could be doing developing youth, to help balance the books but also improve the team by bringing better players in and also the improving the finances with the balance of the money not used on the new recruits.

We as a club are very bad at taking good under 18 players and developing them into first team players until we get this right we will never truly be able to compete with the other promotion challenging teams in this league. 

19 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

They've hired him now.

That Greek owner they have is a loony. Despite his economic failures, glad we have Chansiri at our helm.

Carlos will be gutted. He’s always been a forest fan

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Let put the Bristol city scenario into a Wednesday slant. City get Desilva in on loan for the season at full back and does well but at the same time helps Kelly to improve. The then sell Kelly for a fee rising to £12m and bring in Desilva for £2m they are £10m better off and their team will improve.

If this was us we get Hector in but at the same time it helps to Improve Thorniley we get an offer of £5m for Thorniley and with the money use £3m to sign Hector and have £2m in the bank.

This is what we could be doing developing youth, to help balance the books but also improve the team by bringing better players in and also the improving the finances with the balance of the money not used on the new recruits.

We as a club are very bad at taking good under 18 players and developing them into first team players until we get this right we will never truly be able to compete with the other promotion challenging teams in this league. 

So you are valuing Thorniley at 5 million and our player of the season at 3 million. Crazy, but then again we managed to value VA at around 4 million so who knows?

8 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Exactly, our recruitment; commercial side, fitness and structure at the club as been poor. But things are improving, the youth teams have drastically improved. The recruitment was smarter last season with Hector and Iorfa in particular. We just need to be more astute in recouping money in order to strengthen the team. Despite the off the field issues, I firmly believe bringing in Bruce is the smartest thing DC's done during his reign by far. I expect us to gradually keep improving whilst we've got Bruce. He just needs to be trusted and backed, and allowed to wheel and deal, and re-shape the team to suit how he wants us to play. As long as we get rid of the soft embargo and we're smarter with our transfer business, we can still have a decent go at it this season, we don't need to break the bank. I don't think it's down to how much we can spend or not. I think we've got a chance whilst we've got a manager like Bruce. Things do need sorting however, so that one way or another Bruce can just get on with things.

1 hour ago, Owls77 said:

Now there's a club walking into another transfer embargo. Spent big last season after FFP restrictions and since gone through two managers. 

Doesn't seem very stable from the outside looking in, the owner certainly is eccentric to say the least. 

Although I suppose the same  could have been said of us before appointing Bruce :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

Despite that we’ve been closer than any of those teams have since DC arrived.

Agree we need to build elements of this and sell players at the correct time to keep within FFP though. We need to be able to have room in the accounts to buy/loan the players who will make an impact that particular season.

We've achieved those play off campaigns when we still had a large spending window as ffp was only just being introduced. We also achieved it by wrecklessly risking us having a few bad seasons afterwards. Which has happened. 

11 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

So you are valuing Thorniley at 5 million and our player of the season at 3 million. Crazy, but then again we managed to value VA at around 4 million so who knows?

No just trying to show that if we developed thorniley he could now be worth £5m the same way Bristol city had a youth player for a few season and sold him for £12m. As for hector Chelsea signed him for £4m he has never played a first team game and is in the last year of his contract if we offered them £2.5m to £3m I think he would be our player now. But we don't have any money for transfers, hence the reason hector will unlikely be coming back.

3 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

We've achieved those play off campaigns when we still had a large spending window as ffp was only just being introduced. We also achieved it by wrecklessly risking us having a few bad seasons afterwards. Which has happened. 

We were under the same limits then as we are now, we just hadn’t hit the cap. I’m not suggesting we haven’t made mistakes and we need to address things to maintain a challenge. But interesting that those who sell all their players never make the top six.

Edited by Bluesteel

4 minutes ago, striker said:

Now there's a club walking into another transfer embargo. Spent big last season after FFP restrictions and since gone through two managers. 

Doesn't seem very stable from the outside looking in, the owner certainly is eccentric to say the least. 

Although I suppose the same  could have been said of us before appointing Bruce :ph34r:

They spent big last year but the two years before that they brought in over £35M in player sales. 

I really don't think many of our fans know that we are one of the only so called big spenders in recent years that have pretty much failed to raise any money through player sales. I can't think of any others. 

11 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Exactly, our recruitment; commercial side, fitness and structure at the club as been poor. But things are improving, the youth teams have drastically improved. The recruitment was smarter last season with Hector and Iorfa in particular. We just need to be more astute in recouping money in order to strengthen the team. Despite the off the field issues, I firmly believe bringing in Bruce is the smartest thing DC's done during his reign by far. I expect us to gradually keep improving whilst we've got Bruce. He just needs to be trusted and backed, and allowed to wheel and deal, and re-shape the team to suit how he wants us to play. As long as we get rid of the soft embargo and we're smarter with our transfer business, we can still have a decent go at it this season, we don't need to break the bank. I don't think it's down to how much we can spend or not. I think we've got a chance whilst we've got a manager like Bruce. Things do need sorting however, so that one way or another Bruce can just get on with things.

I think what going to be key in the next 4 weeks is which players we can get rid of for fees, the likes of Winnall, JVA, Rhodes, Fox, add little to the team and probably will not play very often with a fully fit squad, but between then account for about £80k a week in salaries or just over £4m a season, if we can get rid and maybe get £5m+ in fees (probably mainly Rhodes and Winnall) then we could be £6-8m better off with no affect on the first team.