Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

Just now, Kanye West said:

Villa are to meet Leeds 25m valuation for Kalvin Phillips apparently.

The going rate for Championship players is bonkers, this is why FFP doesn't work. 

Our £7m valuation of Rhodes doesn't seem so unreasonable now does it?

43 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If DaSilva, a current England U23 international, left Chelsea for £2m, I can’t see them asking much more for Hector. He’s probably beyond the age of being considered an investment 

Hopefully.

Bristol City doing some good business.

4 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

The going rate for Championship players is bonkers, this is why FFP doesn't work. 

Madness. He's a very good player, but £25m is a crazy price to pay for a midfielder who's never played above the Championship.

There's no guarantee that he'll be effective in the Premier League where opposition players' movement tends to be a cut above.

18 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

In regards to Bristol being a selling club too. A while ago their owner Lansdown identified that they could not compete with so called 'bigger' clubs unless they invested time and money into their academy and transfer policy. Obviously alongside their recent investment into the stadium and infrastructure the club are making strides forward to reach the Premier League despite selling top players year on year. Impressive if not a little disheartening for fans sometimes

Even before their recent business, I fancied them to be one of the dark horses. I got a feeling it could be their year. Sooner or later a club like Bristol City or Brentford will go up. Investing in youth and bargains, and selling for big money is the way to go at this level. Even the top teams sell players. It's easy to see how we stagnated and fell behind before Bruce came in but hopefully DC's learned and once the accounts are filed, we'll start doing things the right way. We've already begun making some progressive steps on and off the pitch since Bruce came in and by being astute without breaking the bank like in the past and getting a few players out, we could still give it a go this season. Whilst we've got Bruce, we've got a chance. Sort ourselves out off the pitch and doing things the right way, our chances will increase.

Edited by The Night-Owl

9 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Leeds do consistently get good prices for their players. They could be up to the tune of £30-35M from Phillips and Clarke. It might be the negotiating team that are top quality rather than our valuations being too high. How important is it during this period of FFP that we negotiate ingoing and outgoing deals as well as possible. Many teams do it better than us in my opinion. Bruce being here is huge though and im delighted and excited to have him on our side. 

3 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Even before their recent business, I fancied them to be one of the dark horses. I got a feeling it could be their year. Sooner or later a club like Bristol City or Brentford will go up. Investing in youth and bargains, and selling for big money is the way to go at this level. Even the top teams sell players. It's easy to see how we stagnated and fell behind before Bruce came in but hopefully DC's learned and once the accounts are filed, we'll start doing things the right way. We've already begun making some progressive steps on and off the pitch since Bruce came in and by being astute without breaking the bank like in the past and getting a few players out, we could still give it a go this season. Whilst we've got Bruce, we've got a chance. Sort ourselves out off the pitch and doing things the right way, our chances will increase.

I don't think either Bristol City or Brentford who are very good teams on their day are consistent enough over a season to get promoted. City in particular under Lee Johnson, could win 6 games on the spin but then quite easily lose their next 6. Whatever side we put out over the season won't be too far away from the Top 6 under Bruce IMO.

Just now, Great Big Galaa said:

I don't think either Bristol City or Brentford who are very good teams on their day are consistent enough over a season to get promoted. City in particular under Lee Johnson, could win 6 games on the spin but then quite easily lose their next 6. Whatever side we put out over the season won't be too far away from the Top 6 under Bruce IMO.

Those points you make are regarding their management and tactics rather than transfer policie and player recruitment though. I think its valid to say that both those above mentioned teams could be close to getting it right and being in the Premiership. I guess though that the same could be said of about 15+ Championship teams. 

8 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Madness. He's a very good player, but £25m is a crazy price to pay for a midfielder who's never played above the Championship.

There's no guarantee that he'll be effective in the Premier League where opposition players' movement tends to be a cut above.

It's a reflection of the market. The riches of the Premier League have had a warped side effect that it's strengthened the bargaining position of the selling clubs. Manchester United are a good example. They've so far managed a winger from Swansea and a right back from Palace who has only played 1 season of first team football. That used to be the sort of bread and butter business they'd have sewn up by the first weekend in June before proceeding to their bigger targets. That business now sets them back £65m and about 4-5 weeks of negotiating with a Championship club and Crystal Palace. Arsenal are currently struggling to get a left back out of the SPL. Championship clubs can stick a £30m price tag on a player and not only do so with a straight face, but reasonably expect someone to actually pay it.

It's bonkers and not at all sustainable. We are now in a "Premier League 2" scenario in all but name.

12 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

You're right but I still think this season might be different and it could be the time for a dark horse that does things progressively to go up. A team like that could emerge like Norwich. Wish it could be our turn at last, though. It's the key at this level being consistent enough to get over the line. You have to find the balance between being solid or grinding out points in games that you look like dropping points, whilst being dynamic, creative and ruthless enough to get plenty of victories and to go on a big run. As long as we've got Bruce, we got a chance, regardless of finances. Has he knows all that about what's needed at this level. We'll find a way under Bruce over time to get it done.

Edited by The Night-Owl

33 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

He said in interviews that DC wanted to realise the investment made in the youth side that had done well at u23 level. Jo’s reckons Dawson and Penney, possibly Hunt would be the big money younger players.

While I don’t believe it was right for Jos to throw so many of the youngsters in, mainly because they weren’t good enough, you do have to persist with the ones you believe have a chance. When we say on here, why can’t we invest in the young talent like Brentford or Bristol City do, are we prepared to be patient. For example, I’d rather us back young Penney at left back, rather than bring in a more experienced player like Bidwell. The case for Dawson is different, because GK is a key position and we need the keeper to command his area, something Dawson cannot yet do. Would we have the courage to use the more talented, but inconsistent Joao up front? At Brentford, they would never choose a player like Fletcher over the Portuguese Maybe it’s because they couldn’t afford his wages, but I believe they would always go with the younger more talented player, even if short term, he proved more unreliable. At those clubs, with the pressure off, it’s all about developing the player, normally to sell on at a profit Would we as fans, have the patience, if we took that approach

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

While I don’t believe it was right for Jos to throw so many of the youngsters in, mainly because they weren’t good enough, you do have to persist with the ones you believe have a chance. When we say on here, why can’t we invest in the young talent like Brentford or Bristol City do, are we prepared to be patient. For example, I’d rather us back young Penney at left back, rather than bring in a more experienced player like Bidwell. The case for Dawson is different, because GK is a key position and we need the keeper to command his area, something Dawson cannot yet do. Would we have the courage to use the more talented, but inconsistent Joao up front? At Brentford, they would never choose a player like Fletcher over the Portuguese Maybe it’s because they couldn’t afford his wages, but I believe they would always go with the younger more talented player, even if short term, he proved more unreliable. At those clubs, with the pressure off, it’s all about developing the player, normally to sell on at a profit Would we as fans, have the patience, if we took that approach

With the right manager, I'd be patient, if we had to be astute and take our time gradually progressing and doing things smarter. Bruce, I believe is the right man. So, yes I would be patient with him, has long has he's trusted and backed, things are improved off the pitch, we will eventually get it right. I can't speak for the whole fanbase but with managers like Bruce, you need to trust them, let them do things their way and not mess them about or get too impatient.

Edited by The Night-Owl

I'd hazard a guess that even though they would love to be promoted to the premier league it isn't really an expectation for either Bristol City or Brentford? For us given our history and the prices we are expected to pay on a match day plus the chairman's stated aim from the first day he arrived for promotion, there is more expectation and therefore pressure here. You don't appoint a manager like Bruce if you just want to consolidate as a championship club. As a result of all this as a fan base we would probably not give the time required for a club run like Bristol City or Brentford to succeed. Perhaps we should but a typical day on here would tell you it's very unlikely to happen?

Bristol city develop a player sell him for £12 MIIIion  re invest in team 2 quality signings .Leeds selling youth products big money re investing in team .And what do we do ? Same product ,Don't produce no youth and sign players that have had injury problems .Look at the record of the players we are signing .Bruce might change things with the youth products ,But our youth development for a long time now has been terrible.

17 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Bristol city develop a player sell him for £12 MIIIion  re invest in team 2 quality signings .Leeds selling youth products big money re investing in team .And what do we do ? Same product ,Don't produce no youth and sign players that have had injury problems .Look at the record of the players we are signing .Bruce might change things with the youth products ,But our youth development for a long time now has been terrible.

Absolutely. It gets even worse when you refuse to sell players as well.