Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

20 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

And what about the 4 million we still owe Middlesborough?

To be honest mate , if we can sell him for enough to pay off Boro id be happy with that. It clears a debt and gets his wages off the books.

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

How things have changed, we used to taunt United for lumping it up to a big centre forward. Now they operate with more mobile forwards, playing it along the ground, while we are obsessed with getting the ball onto Fletcher’s head. Really hope we don’t play like that again this season, it’s so outdated

Are we?

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We were last year, but I’m hoping Bruce will have learned that it isn’t the way forward, and that we will go for a more subtle approach

I disagree.

Bannan looks for the run of Fletch and plays the ball over the top.

I can't recall many occasions where our game plan was to 'lump it up to Fletch'

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We were last year, but I’m hoping Bruce will have learned that it isn’t the way forward, and that we will go for a more subtle approach

The way we played after Bruce took over got us to within a few points of the play offs.

I'm not sure it was as ineffective as you are making out.

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Don't think we saw the best of what Bruce is about tactically, more a case of making the best of what he had available. In a team devoid of any pace, options can be very limited. 

We seem to be adressing that this summer. 

Just now, MarkS43Owl said:

I disagree.

Bannan looks for the run of Fletch and plays the ball over the top.

I can't recall many occasions where our game plan was to 'lump it up to Fletch'

All the time mate, how many occasions did you see Fletcher run in behind? He can’t do that With clever players who are good on the ball, like Bannan, Reach, Forestieri and Joao, we should be capable of playing some scintillating attacking football

2 minutes ago, markowl said:

The way we played after Bruce took over got us to within a few points of the play offs.

I'm not sure it was as ineffective as you are making out.

I think it can be reasonably effective, and it’s a useful tool for teams with limited ability, but when you have players who are as good on the ball, as we have, then it’s a bit basic

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, MarkS43Owl said:

I know this has been circled over and over but heard last night that the chairman has finally given in and will allow Rhodes to leave.

He wants to go, Bruce wants him to go and the chairman has now decided that it's time.

Probably nothing we've not already heard but this comes from a good source who mentioned about Odubajo, Borner and Bidwell.

Such a good source that we haven’t actually signed these players yet either. Won’t believe anything till I see it on official website 

17 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

All the time mate, how many occasions did you see Fletcher run in behind? He can’t do that With clever players who are good on the ball, like Bannan, Reach, Forestieri and Joao, we should be capable of playing some scintillating attacking football

Out of interest, do you go to games?

Not a dig or a sly comment, it’s just interesting how others see the game that’s all.

36 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

How things have changed, we used to taunt United for lumping it up to a big centre forward. Now they operate with more mobile forwards, playing it along the ground, while we are obsessed with getting the ball onto Fletcher’s head. Really hope we don’t play like that again this season, it’s so outdated

If teams press high either we go the England route and have Lees and Thorniley playing an even more frightening version of the Stones Maguire suicide shuffle or we have to lump it long to a big man occasionally. 

I'm with lumping it.

1 minute ago, MarkS43Owl said:

Out of interest, do you go to games?

Not a dig or a sly comment, it’s just interesting how others see the game that’s all.

Sure, yeah, and I’m not blind to Fletcher’s contribution, but looking to hit him all the time is easy to read, and quite frankly, easy to defend against. 

41 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Best sides in this league need both which is why they signed Madine. We had no pace in the side last season and little choice. It was very different with a fit Hooper and Forestieri.  But having a target forward who can bring others into the game either with his head or feet is not a bad thing, you just need quick players around him.

42 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Fletcher is tidy with ball at feet. It’s not his fault that the likes of Lees struggle at the back to pass the ball out and therefore loft it forwards too much. Fletcher gets a lot of unfair sniping. He’d love the ball into feet, I’m sure of it.

Out lack of penetrating width means we play quite narrow and often to outlet ball is therefore a punt up the middle.

57 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Why do we still owe 2/3rds of what we paid for him?

Transfer fees are paid over the length of the contract

8 million signing on a 4 year contract, we pay Boro 2 million per year for 4 years

Most clubs work this way

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Just now, Bluesteel said:

Best sides in this league need both which is why they signed Madine. We had no pace in the side last season and little choice. It was very different with a fit Hooper and Forestieri.  But having a target forward who can bring others into the game either with his head or feet is not a bad thing, you just need quick players around him.

Sure, it’s a good weapon to have in your armoury, but none of the three promoted sides used it as anything more than a plan B 

I’m not adverse to a target man, at 6-5, Abraham was that for Villa, but he has better all round ability, and more importantly, the movement and pace to run in behind

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

We won’t get away without a loss. But 4m cash plus a removal of an annual wage of circa 1.3-1.5m (lets say 3m left in the accounts for 2 remaining years. Makes this deal worth about 7m in p&s terms. 5.5m of which would count toward this year if the figures are roughly accurate.

2m a year will still need to go to Boro presumably. But it’s a reduction from 3.5m a year with no return.

The remainder of the transfer fee is payable on any sale

So whereas we would be paying Boro 2 million this year if we kept him

The full 4 million becomes payable on sale

In simple terms, we were expecting to pay Boro 2 million this season, a sale would mean we have to cough up 4 million

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

5 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

The remainder of the transfer fee is payable on any sale

So whereas we would be paying Boro 2 million this year if we kept him

The full 4 million becomes payable on sale

In simple terms, we were expecting to pay Boro 2 million this season, a sale would mean we have to cough up 4 million

Didnt realise that. But in that case presumably they cover the loss of 4m plus save us 1.5m on wages. So if we signed a new player for 3m on a 3 year deal ie Hector our accounts for this year only show an outgoing of 1m per annum rather than the annual 2m for Rhodes plus what his wages are in comparison.

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Sure, it’s a good weapon to have in your armoury, but none of the three promoted sides used it as anything more than a plan B 

I’m not adverse to a target man, at 6-5, Abraham was that for Villa, but he has better all round ability, and more importantly, the movement and pace to run in behind

They may not have gone long but their strikers were all physical and capable of playing back to goal. Which is why I could see credence in Hugill with other nippy players in support. 

Unless we go out and spend, I don’t think there are many players availble on loan from the league above who Bruce can look at and know what he is getting, especially if Abraham isn’t available. The obvious candidates are Hugill and Gallagher who have plenty of experience at this level.

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

They may not have gone long but their strikers were all physical and capable of playing back to goal. Which is why I could see credence in Hugill with other nippy players in support. 

Unless we go out and spend, I don’t think there are many players availble on loan from the league above who Bruce can look at and know what he is getting, especially if Abraham isn’t available. The obvious candidates are Hugill and Gallagher who have plenty of experience at this level.

I hope not mate, I really do Maybe we can find someone from overseas