Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

2 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

I agree that Hugill wouldn't be a wise investment given his skillset, especially while we've still got Fletcher.

Got to say though, and I'm a massive advocate of the Scottish game, that Sam Cosgrove has got bust written all over him imo. Some Championship or League One team will probably take a punt on him at some point, but I hope it's not us. A lot of the Scottish pundits can't believe how he managed to get that many goals last season and I strongly suspect he won't get near that in the coming season as Aberdeen have lost half their creative players. He's strong and good in the air, which is enough to hit double figures in the SPFL, but he'd need a lot more to his game to flourish in the Championship.

Fletcher has a lot of attributes and his performances last season merit him being first choice unless we make a big splash in the market. If we are going to sign a striker, I'd like it to be someone with pace, mobility and clever movement on and off the ball, to complement Fletcher and potentially replace Joao.

Thats fair. But I think it’s risky to rely on Fletcher at 33/34 to be fit and on form each week. Most sides promoted in recent years have these kinds of robust target forwards (Madine-cardiff/blades, zohore, pukki, Murray, Murphy, Vokes, Abraham). If we played one up front then they’d probably share that between them. 

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

None of these players are similar in style to the players used by Bruce previously, Abraham at Villa, and Abel Hernandez at Hull The idea that we have to have a big daft lad barging his way around, up front, is so outmoded

Abraham is very capable at that. Most sides who’ve gone up have had physical strikers. If you see some of Hugills goals he’s not just a clogger.

Leeds want him too, so someone should tell Bielsa it’s outmoded 

Edited by Bluesteel
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Abraham is very capable at that. Most sides who’ve gone up have had physical strikers. If you see some of Hugills goals he’s not just a clogger.

Quite right,Abraham is capable of that, but you wouldn’t say it was his main attribute. Yes Hugill is an upgrade on Fletcher, in so much that he has a slightly better all round game Successful sides in this division don’t operate with a player like that though, although you may have someone of that ilk on the bench

56 minutes ago, 19owl08 said:

I can’t see Bruce wanting to get rid of Forestieri in all truth, unless he knows he will never regain 100% fitness.

When Bruce was at Villa he singled Forestieri out as being our main threat describing him as a “top, top player”. This season when talking about Forestieri’s fitness he referred to him being up their with “the best in this division”.

Good post, in my opinion, which isn't worth more than anyone elses but it's how I see it. Forestieri's isn't good enough for 90 mins anymore. 

Alot of factors for me like height, style of play and more so previous injuries and operations. A flash of brilliance is guarenteed but over the course of 90 mins, a month or a season....I'm not seeing enough to change my mind.

Saying that, Rolando Aarons, who I thought looked in good physical condition, also didnt play enough games 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Quite right,Abraham is capable of that, but you wouldn’t say it was his main attribute. Yes Hugill is an upgrade on Fletcher, in so much that he has a slightly better all round game Successful sides in this division don’t operate with a player like that though, although you may have someone of that ilk on the bench

Lots of sides (Cardiff, Norwich, Brighton, Villa) have just done it. A big centre forward who can run the channels will never go out of fashion. It’s when they are too slow it becomes an issue.

2 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I can't see Chelsea loaning Hector out again so it'll have to be a cash deal and I don't think currently that we're in a position to offer the money Chelsea would want. Gibson would only be a loan but I don't think he'd want to upset his Uncle, the bastion of Financial Fair Play by moving here so effectively we're not going to get this deal done either? Borner will probably become first choice centre half next season alongside Lees?

You might be right about all three but we'll see. Unsure about Borner to. be honest. Could work out and be a gem or might just be a squad player or might even struggle to fit in? Hopefully he turns out to be a smart signing. Not sure we'll get Hector back but hope we can, as it's more vital than any other potential signing, due to how well he fitted in and the impact he had. We'll find it hard to replace him. Borner might be that replacement or might just provide competition for places. Lees played well with Hector, was suspect prior to their partnership but somewhat got back to the form he showed alongside Loovens. Gibson or someone similar might be a solid replacement for Hector or possibly an upgrade upon Lees, if Bruce feels he needs upgrading? As I've said before, this squad came up short in the past and it's needed strengthening for a long time. I'm personally not against sacrificing or upgrading any of them, apart from Westwood and Bannan who are in my opinion our two most important and best players. Lots of work, wheeling and dealing, needs to be done with this squad but I trust Bruce to get it right.

Edited by The Night-Owl

13 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

Good post, in my opinion, which isn't worth more than anyone elses but it's how I see it. Forestieri's isn't good enough for 90 mins anymore. 

Alot of factors for me like height, style of play and more so previous injuries and operations. A flash of brilliance is guarenteed but over the course of 90 mins, a month or a season....I'm not seeing enough to change my mind.

Saying that, Rolando Aarons, who I thought looked in good physical condition, also didnt play enough games 

I dont think you can play Forestieri and Bannan week in week out in the same team. Think Bruce knows this and has picked Bannan.

If we can still get a decent fee, say 6-8m then I think he let's him go. if not then we will see him off the bench alot more and I dont think he makes Bruce's best 11.

Managers need players on the pitch who they can rely upon and trust to do a job. Players who know their role in the team and carry it out sat/ tues/sat.

I am a fan of the ability of FF and Joao but they are totally unreliable.

They have been here 4 seasons and rarely been consistent in either performance or fitness.

I could well understand a manager, especially a pragmatic one like Bruce, thinking he is not going to put himself through the torture of wondering each game whether they are going to bother to turn up or not.

From what I remember of Hughill at Preston was the opposite. Limited but honest and hard working. You know what you are getting and can build around it.

West Ham thought he was good enough for the Premier.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Thats fair. But I think it’s risky to rely on Fletcher at 33/34 to be fit and on form each week. Most sides promoted in recent years have these kinds of robust target forwards (Madine-cardiff/blades, zohore, pukki, Murray, Murphy, Vokes, Abraham). If we played one up front then they’d probably share that between them. 

Fletcher is 32.

52 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Managers need players on the pitch who they can rely upon and trust to do a job. Players who know their role in the team and carry it out sat/ tues/sat.

I am a fan of the ability of FF and Joao but they are totally unreliable.

They have been here 4 seasons and rarely been consistent in either performance or fitness.

I could well understand a manager, especially a pragmatic one like Bruce, thinking he is not going to put himself through the torture of wondering each game whether they are going to bother to turn up or not.

From what I remember of Hughill at Preston was the opposite. Limited but honest and hard working. You know what you are getting and can build around it.

West Ham thought he was good enough for the Premier.

spot on bud

24 minutes ago, A12owl said:

The thing about Forestieri and the other players we have is that many have not had a chance of a proper run in training and on the pitch with a coach as good as Bruce. 

Why not give them a chance unless somebody else becomes available at money we can afford.

Bruce will also be formulating a team tactic and formation. He will either get existing players to play in the positions he wants or will sign a suitable player for the position. 

When he has sorted through the existing players and decided who can do what he will get rid of excess and get in suitable replacements. 

I am sure DC will be doing what Bruce advises him. If not why bring him in. Bruce will have told DC how it's going to be before he joined.

Makes sense