Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

11 minutes ago, Beholder said:

I can see both sides of it that's all.

I like João but he has to fit Bruce's plan or there is no point keeping him.

I don’t think you seeing both sides are you, you ended another post with ‘no point in keeping him’.   UTO  

And for the record I think Joao is a fantastic player, and when called upon adds that little bit of flare that sometimes we miss in games.  UTO 

4 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

We do tend to be a little impatient though don't we!

Aye but we've finally got the right man to get us up. No matter, how long it takes, he'll get it done, as long as we back him, respect him and trust him. Wheeling and dealing will make us stronger, the main difference to Carlos and Jos, we can trust Bruce to strengthen us.

Guest wilyfox
24 minutes ago, Stoop said:

I used to think that but I’ve seen Cardiff, Huddersfield and the pigs win promotion in the last couple of years, and they all had zero flair. I’d gladly cash in on FF, Reach and Joao if it meant Bruce could get his own players in

I'm in favour of selling, we've needed churn for some time. Results are important but no guarantee we'll go up. Let's have some fun too. Carlos' second season was best points haul we've had in champ, but nowhere near the quality of play we saw year before. Don't want us going that road again where results are literally everything. A little flair is pleasing to the eye. 

1 hour ago, The Night-Owl said:

As I've said before, we should just let Bruce wheel and deal and trust him to get it right. He needs to be allowed to bring in players that suit how he wants to play and if it means sacrificing anyone, then so be it. Personally I'm not against sacrificing any of our players, except for Westwood and Bannan, especially as the main core of our players were unable to get promotion. Teams that go up, tend to wheel and deal and sacrifice players to get stronger. 

Bruce knows what he's doing. Some rumours or links might sound strange but to be honest I never expected the likes of Hector and Iorfa to have the impact they did, especially Hector. It's about building a more effective Steve Bruce team, so let's let him get on with it and see what happens this season. I strongly believe we've got the right man for the job.

Great post.

We have a complete Frankenstein's monster of a squad, stitched together with seemingly disparate gameplans in mind and with little to no thought given to tactics, style of play or cohesion.

We've spent the last few seasons trying to shoehorn various players into some semblance of a system, and sometimes we got pretty damn close, but we rarely found a way of playing which truly brought the best out of all the players at our disposal.

If watching the Blades romp to promotion should have taught us anything, it's that a team can be so much more than the sum of its parts. And if that means that talented individuals are allowed to leave in order for Bruce to be able to build a squad who will complement each other's styles and who cohere into a convincing whole, then so be it.

Bruce knows what he's doing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, malek said:

I'm not a fan of Hugill, and wouldn't say he is that much similar to Fletcher.

In my opinion he had couple of decent seasons at Preston, and that's all he ever did in the game. For transfer fee and wages he would probably demand doesn't look like a worthwhile gamble to me.

Cosgrove from Aberdeen is a same type of player, younger then Hugill and would cost lot less. Although I'm not huge fan, if we need that type of striker I would rather gamble on him then Hugill.

I agree that Hugill wouldn't be a wise investment given his skillset, especially while we've still got Fletcher.

Got to say though, and I'm a massive advocate of the Scottish game, that Sam Cosgrove has got bust written all over him imo. Some Championship or League One team will probably take a punt on him at some point, but I hope it's not us. A lot of the Scottish pundits can't believe how he managed to get that many goals last season and I strongly suspect he won't get near that in the coming season as Aberdeen have lost half their creative players. He's strong and good in the air, which is enough to hit double figures in the SPFL, but he'd need a lot more to his game to flourish in the Championship.

Fletcher has a lot of attributes and his performances last season merit him being first choice unless we make a big splash in the market. If we are going to sign a striker, I'd like it to be someone with pace, mobility and clever movement on and off the ball, to complement Fletcher and potentially replace Joao.

1 hour ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Selling FF and Joao would be a disaster if we want to challenge imo. 

Hugill’s decent but he’s very basic. Not the type to fire us to promotion.

ff maybe of some use, but only bruce will know if he'll fit into anything (system wise) he has in mind.

as for joao, I don't see occasionally trying as being the 'benchmark' for 'attitude' in a promotion challenge.

15 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Great post.

We have a complete Frankenstein's monster of a squad, stitched together with seemingly disparate gameplans in mind and with little to no thought given to tactics, style of play or cohesion.

We've spent the last few seasons trying to shoehorn various players into some semblance of a system, and sometimes we got pretty damn close, but we rarely found a way of playing which truly brought the best out of all the players at our disposal.

If watching the Blades romp to promotion should have taught us anything, it's that a team can be so much more than the sum of its parts. And if that means that talented individuals are allowed to leave in order for Bruce to be able to build a squad who will complement each other's styles and who cohere into a convincing whole, then so be it.

100%, BANG ON!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Great post.

Exactly, the squad still needs a lot of freshening up. Bruce knows what we need and what we lack. I'd rather us wheel and deal, like most other teams at this level, in order to effectively play how Bruce wants. Norwich, The Pigs and others, have shown you don't need to break the bank to get results at this level. Wheeling and dealing made Norwich stronger. We've finally got the right manager that we can trust and believe in, sacrificing players is a part of the game at this level, but he'll make us much more balanced and effective than we were. Bruce is the ideal man at this level to do that for us.

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

I can see both sides of it that's all.

I like João but he has to fit Bruce's plan or there is no point keeping him.

Can see that. But even at Villa he had the likes of Bolasie and Adomah who he needed to turn to purely as impact players. I don’t think there are many better than Joao at that. 

Guest gizowl
1 hour ago, kevtheowl said:

I don’t think you seeing both sides are you, you ended another post with ‘no point in keeping him’.   UTO  

And for the record I think Joao is a fantastic player, and when called upon adds that little bit of flare that sometimes we miss in games.  UTO 

Are you expecting a eventful week ahead Kev.?UTO 

3 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

I don’t think we will sign Hugill or Gibson 

mind you Gibson one of the best CBS in the league hands down , just imagine him and hector as a CB pairing 

We'll have to wait and see, there are many reasons why not every rumour or link can be trusted or doesn't pan out. If true, I would think we'd bring in another striker with some pace or more dynamic wingers/attacking midfielders. Plus I would imagine it would probably be one or the other with Gibson and Hector? A partnership like that would be something at this level, which suggests it would be too good to be true? I trust Bruce but my main fears this summer were holding onto Westwood and Bannan plus re-signing Hector. Westwood's staying, Bannan looks like he's in Bruce's plans but who knows with Hector? Hector fitted in so well, that he'd be very difficult to replace but Bruce as an eye for a player, Gibson seems like he'd be a cracking signing for this level. Point being, I hope we get Hector back but even if we don't, we can trust Bruce to still get what we need. Regardless of who we have to sacrifice, with a manager like Bruce we will be more effective as a team.

5 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

We'll have to wait and see, there are many reasons why not every rumour or link can be trusted or doesn't pan out. If true, I would think we'd bring in another striker with some pace or more dynamic wingers/attacking midfielders. Plus I would imagine it would probably be one or the other with Gibson and Hector? A partnership like that would be something at this level, which suggests it would be too good to be true? I trust Bruce but my main fears this summer were holding onto Westwood and Bannan plus re-signing Hector. Westwood's staying, Bannan looks like he's in Bruce's plans but who knows with Hector? Hector fitted in so well, that he'd be very difficult to replace but Bruce as an eye for a player, Gibson seems like he'd be a cracking signing for this level. Point being, I hope we get Hector back but even if we don't, we can trust Bruce to still get what we need. Regardless of who we have to sacrifice, with a manager like Bruce we will be more effective as a team.

I can't see Chelsea loaning Hector out again so it'll have to be a cash deal and I don't think currently that we're in a position to offer the money Chelsea would want. Gibson would only be a loan but I don't think he'd want to upset his Uncle, the bastion of Financial Fair Play by moving here so effectively we're not going to get this deal done either? Borner will probably become first choice centre half next season alongside Lees?

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I can't see Chelsea loaning Hector out again so it'll have to be a cash deal and I don't think currently that we're in a position to offer the money Chelsea would want. Gibson would only be a loan but I don't think he'd want to upset his Uncle, the bastion of Financial Fair Play by moving here so effectively we're not going to get this deal done either? Borner will probably become first choice centre half next season alongside Lees?

I'm assuming that's the plan. Our offer to the player is probably lucrative, but it would still be an odd move for a 28yr-old club captain to move countries with a young family to come and sit on our bench for 3yrs. Time will tell how he fares, but I'd assume he's brought in to start initially. 

1 hour ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

I agree that Hugill wouldn't be a wise investment given his skillset, especially while we've still got Fletcher.

Got to say though, and I'm a massive advocate of the Scottish game, that Sam Cosgrove has got bust written all over him imo. Some Championship or League One team will probably take a punt on him at some point, but I hope it's not us. A lot of the Scottish pundits can't believe how he managed to get that many goals last season and I strongly suspect he won't get near that in the coming season as Aberdeen have lost half their creative players. He's strong and good in the air, which is enough to hit double figures in the SPFL, but he'd need a lot more to his game to flourish in the Championship.

Fletcher has a lot of attributes and his performances last season merit him being first choice unless we make a big splash in the market. If we are going to sign a striker, I'd like it to be someone with pace, mobility and clever movement on and off the ball, to complement Fletcher and potentially replace Joao.

I agree 100 % with everything you wrote.

As I stated, I myself am not much of a Cosgrove's fan, but to me he much reminds me of Hugill, both in style of play and in quality.

• Like 1