Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

Maybe this reply is in the wrong section, apologies to all if it is.

I think it is fair to assume, that we are not going to be in a position to throw heaps of cash around this summer. As many have pointed out, SB is very astute in terms of recruitment, and with a decent core group of players, a few loan signings may be all that we need.

However, I really would like to see some of younger players get some involvement.  Jos, for all his failings, did try and do this.

We do have some quality, in my opinion. Thorniley, who I really do admire, is someone who didn't let himself down when called upon. He is tough, hardworking, likes a tackle and can pass pretty well (Luton away in the cup replay, pinging the ball out to the right leading to Dave's goal.)

Penney, came onto the scene, and look composed. A slight injury, before his major injury to his arm, and being played out of position, didn't help him, but he remains someone who the club can call on.

Borukov, Preston and in particular Issac Rice from the youth set up, are players I would like to see given an opportunity.

Rice in particular has impressed me every time I have seen him, and has all the attributes to be a club captain. Maybe @malek and @ John o' brian, regular posters on the youth sides can offer their thoughts.

if we can get these younger players involved, playing regularly, learning all the time, then we reap the rewards. Young talent sells for a premium these days, and in an era where we have struggled to receive funds for players, bringing youth players in raising their profile might be a way to ease our financial troubles, over and above the benefit to ourselves in terms of good young players gaining valuable experience.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, malek said:

With FFP in place we must dig for gold, players we will send for profit to alow us more funds to spend. Hope Bruce got file on best lower league talents and free signings...

What if we literally dug for gold and found some under Hillsborough.  Would that be considered as profitable income? 

More chance than getting £7m for Rhodes

3 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Maybe this reply is in the wrong section, apologies to all if it is.

I think it is fair to assume, that we are not going to be in a position to throw heaps of cash around this summer. As many have pointed out, SB is very astute in terms of recruitment, and with a decent core group of players, a few loan signings may be all that we need.

However, I really would like to see some of younger players get some involvement.  Jos, for all his failings, did try and do this.

We do have some quality, in my opinion. Thorniley, who I really do admire, is someone who didn't let himself down when called upon. He is tough, hardworking, likes a tackle and can pass pretty well (Luton away in the cup replay, pinging the ball out to the right leading to Dave's goal.)

Penney, came onto the scene, and look composed. A slight injury, before his major injury to his arm, and being played out of position, didn't help him, but he remains someone who the club can call on.

Borukov, Preston and in particular Issac Rice from the youth set up, are players I would like to see given an opportunity.

Rice in particular has impressed me every time I have seen him, and has all the attributes to be a club captain. Maybe @malek & @John O'Brien regular posters on the youth sides can offer their thoughts.

if we can get these younger players involved, playing regularly, learning all the time, then we reap the rewards. Young talent sells for a premium these days, and in an era where we have struggled to receive funds for players, bringing youth players in raising their profile might be a way to ease our financial troubles, over and above the benefit to ourselves in terms of good young players gaining valuable experience.

Fixed the quotes for you Kenny ....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, penrhyn bay owl said:

So why don't you give the man a chance first.

I will, it was just response to trite comments like “leave it to Bruce, he knows what he’s doing” People said the same about Jos, and every other manager we’ve ever had. Bruce is a good manager, who’s proven at this level, but he’s not infallible Hopefully he will get this recruitment right

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gurujuan said:

So, we seem to be after experienced full backs, centre backs, centre midfielders, and wingers, where do we envisage the young loanees will play? I know the loan players will probably not arrive until nearer the end of the window, but if they are any good, we will surely want them to start. Most definitely their clubs will. If we have filled every position with freebies, as some are suggesting, we won’t be able to convince their clubs to let them join. We can get far better players on loan, than we could expect to buy, and not only that, they will be young energetic, and most probably quick. Thus fulfilling our main requirements. 

I know it’s only rumours, and these are only suggestions, but think about it, if we want 4 or 5 quality loans, we have to be able to play them

First up , i dont disagree with what you are saying Guru , young legs are what we need and it would make sense financially to go down the loan route but i think people are obsessing over this as it isn`t the ONLY way to be successful in this division without spending heaps of money...............how many young prem loanees played regularly for the blunts and Norwich last season ?

2 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

First up , i dont disagree with what you are saying Guru , young legs are what we need and it would make sense financially to go down the loan route but i think people are obsessing over this as it isn`t the ONLY way to be successful in this division without spending heaps of money...............how many young prem loanees played regularly for the blunts and Norwich last season ?

That’s true

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I might add though, that both of those sides were managed by tactically astute coaches, which is not meant as a slight on Bruce

The likes of Bruce and Warnock are also tactically astute. Wouldn't have so many promotions to there name if they wasnt.

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

The likes of Bruce and Warnock are also tactically astute. Wouldn't have so many promotions to there name if they wasnt.

They are, yes, but perhaps in a more old school way. Both Wilder and Farke, are both quite innovative in the way they play, whereas Bruce and Warnock are more predictable. There’s room for both ways

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

This 1.5m number is total billicks. He brought in Abraham, Kodija, Lansbury, McGinn, Hourihane, Mings, Hogan

Anyone who believes that lot plus the others cost 1.5m lives in lala land. 

I like Bruce a lot but he can spin with the best of them... 

The 1.5m figure quoted is what he spent after sales. Look it up you will find it is correct. Was amazed myself as I always thought of him as a big spender. Think the same figure for his time at Hull is only around 4m.

6 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Rice in particular has impressed me every time I have seen him, and has all the attributes to be a club captain. Maybe @malek and @John O'Brien, regular posters on the youth sides can offer their thoughts.

Great post! 

Would also like to hear people’s views on Alex Hunt. Was highly thought of last summer, played a game or two, then disappeared a bit.

Not sure about how Bruce’s resume is when it comes to bringing through youth, though. 

11 minutes ago, Shezza said:

Great post! 

Would also like to hear people’s views on Alex Hunt. Was highly thought of last summer, played a game or two, then disappeared a bit.

Not sure about how Bruce’s resume is when it comes to bringing through youth, though. 

Played first half at Sunderland in cup game, looked a bit lost, occasion seemed to get to him.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

They are, yes, but perhaps in a more old school way. Both Wilder and Farke, are both quite innovative in the way they play, whereas Bruce and Warnock are more predictable. There’s room for both ways

You can be as innovative and astute as you like, but if you don't have good enough players you won't win matches. Just ask Colin and hopefully Wilder after next season.

Guest gizowl

We all think we know best, but I know I'm delighted to have SB as our manager, so if it's good enough for him then it's good enough for me, sit back and enjoy the ride. UTO. 

14 minutes ago, Shezza said:

Great post! 

I remember when Tim Sherwood managed Villa he brought in a lot of their promising youth into the team. Can't remember any of those featuring too much under Steve Bruce. I know it was a manager or two later in history but still....

I don't mind too much if the youngsters aren't blooded into the first team. Just so long as they are getting games somewhere on loan though. Can't understand our lack of young players going out on loan last season, that's an opportunity missed for their development. 

I think we do have some talented youngsters , but just dont think they are ready for championship yet. They would all benefit from a season on loan in league one to toughen them up and get games under their belts.playing u23 games fodnt compare to first team football in league one or two. They need experience .

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

I think we do have some talented youngsters , but just dont think they are ready for championship yet. They would all benefit from a season on loan in league one to toughen them up and get games under their belts.playing u23 games fodnt compare to first team football in league one or two. They need experience .

There's nothing like competitive games, definitely need to get more of our youngsters out on loan, but crucial they play games.

Maybe insert some contractual obligation for game time, as premier league teams do. 

Everyone seems to be making the assumption that we aren't trying to send players out on loan. Perhaps we are, but there aren't any teams of sufficient quality interested in our players. For example, why send out an 18-19 year old lad to a team where he'll play worse football and train with far inferior coaches and players than our u23s? They'd be better suited staying put.

Or perhaps the youngsters aren't good enough to play regular first team football for a league team?

Edited by Minton