Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

11 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I’m with GJ on this. Don’t want us to go for the likes of Cattermole, Diame, Downing, Jedinak etc. We’ve been down this road before. We’ve got experience - let’s mix it up with some youth, energy and pace. 

Maybe we are going to shift some of our experienced players out to make room for Bruce's experienced players. Hopefully there is a master plan.

We live in hope.

I am not buying reports on cattermole. Agent trying to engineer a move or at least interest IMO. I don't think Cattermole fits what Bruce wants. I think we will see a centre midfielder join, but not cattermole.

11 minutes ago, prowl said:

Maybe we are going to shift some of our experienced players out to make room for Bruce's experienced players. Hopefully there is a master plan.

We live in hope.

Maybe, but who? Westwood, been offered a new deal, Lee, ditto, so maybe Fletcher, Hutchinson, Bannan? I can’t see it myself,   though we’d probably like to offload the likes of Rhodes, Winnall and Fox

46 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I think cost is the factor that swings it. We’ve been very unlucky with the older players we have signed over the last few seasons.. Abdi was a write off for whatever reason. Jones was ok-ish at the start but not really what was needed, contract was too long and not worth the fee or wages. Boyd personally I think did ok, but wasn’t worth the reported wages. If he’d have been on say 15k, he was a solid addition to the squad.. but if it’s 30k plus then he didn’t bring enough. 

If any of these older players are asking for big money and long contracts then it’s a no. If they’re fit and not asking for huge wages then it can work.

we desperately need to add some pace and physicality to the team as it’s our major weakness. But think we should focus on players attributes and how much they cost rather than worrying about ages too much

I don’t Boyd was ok. He was very poor, and a waste of money. 

Agree, we must look elsewhere than Cattermole and the like. We need leadership, but they have to be able to play too. 

3 minutes ago, modboy said:

Barnsley signing some young unknown for a couple of million from Scotland. A gamble that often pays off for clubs like them and Rotherham

Always a gamble. Stevie May wasn't particularly young or unknown but was outrageously good in Scotland. Didn't work for us though did it.

Yet Villa fans won't be complaining about McCann. Some gambles work, some don't. I'm hoping Brucey can improve our record on that front.

We are a completely different club to Barnsley and Rotherham though. Their fans don't expect them to be battling for promotion so they can afford to sign an unknown and risk him flopping because it doesn't matter too much.

We can't though, just look at some of our recent unknown signings who get slated after 2 bad performances.

People need to wake up and understand that unless we as fans change our mindset, experienced pros are and always will be the best for Sheffield Wednesday.

Edited by Birley Owl 1867

1 minute ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

We are a completely different club to Barnsley and Rotherham though. Their fans don't expect them to be battling for promotion so they can afford to sign an unknown and risk him flopping because it doesn't matter too much.

We can't though, just look at some of our recent unknown signings who get slated after 2 bad performances.

People need to wake up and understand that unless we as fans change our mindset, experienced pros are and always will be the best for Sheffield Wednesday.

True to an extent, but bigger clubs than Sheffield Wednesday will blood youngsters. I agree though, so many of our fans are stuck in the past, when it comes to the players they want us to sign Doesn’t mean the club has to oblige though. Signing Jordan Rhodes “for the fans” was, not only ill thought out, but was positively cringeworthy

13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

True to an extent, but bigger clubs than Sheffield Wednesday will blood youngsters. I agree though, so many of our fans are stuck in the past, when it comes to the players they want us to sign Doesn’t mean the club has to oblige though. Signing Jordan Rhodes “for the fans” was, not only ill thought out, but was positively cringeworthy

not all of us wanted Rhodes. Can remember some of us raising doubts. We've clearly needed more energy; pace, power, dynamism and a more modern type of player ever since Wembley. To add to what we already had and what we've still got. Last season showed us that a mixture of experience added with the legs; youthful exuberance, energy, pace and power, can make a world of difference to our fortunes, along with a proper manager. I expect more of the same, a mixture of experience added with some freshness. But looks like we will have to be patient and smart, as we're not going to break the bank. The loan market could be key?

Edited by The Night-Owl

27 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

But then you wouldn't be saying that if Rhodes had netted 20 goals in each of the last 2 seasons.

I am all for the younger player, the pacier player the ones with sell on value. This is the type of signing we should be looking at.

BUT........... lets look at the facts here. We need a few new players upwards of 6 IMO but Bruce has mentioned that figure. For people to fit into the above structure were looking at expensive players, which we cant afford. And if we can they have to be better than what we already have.

So Cattermole. Yes he may not be the ideal signing. But, he is a defensive midfielder. We already have one of the best defensive midfielders in the division in Sam Hutchinson. The reason we have Hutchinson is because he has injury problems which means he is never going to play you 46 games a year. To improve on him your looking at (realistically) signing maybe a Ben Pearson from Preston. How much would we be quoted if we enquired for him? I bet you it would be 8 million at least.

This to me is a decent signing, as long as we get what we need in other areas.

• Like 1

Herbie Kane, Liverpool youngster impressive whilst on loan at Doncaster last season, interesting Championship clubs, Brentford and Millwall. That the sort of player we should be looking at? The likes of Herbie Kane and Ryan Kent on loan from top flight clubs, as well as astute bargains?

Edited by The Night-Owl

2 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Herbie Kane, Liverpool youngster impressive whilst on loan at Doncaster last season, interesting Championship clubs, Brentford and Millwall. That the sort of player we should be looking at? The likes of Herbie Kane and Ryan Kent on loan from top flight clubs, as well as astute bargains?

Nah, saw him lose his head a few times for Donny last season, he has a right temper on him.

You could almost say he went bananas.

• Haha 2