Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

8 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Really hope Bruce isn’t after Cattermole, will be on a hell of a lot of money and not the type of player we need imo. He’s 31 and seems to pick up injuries every season. Pace and power is what we are missing and have needed for so long. 

Look, i really don't want us to sign Cattermole but i wish people would stop assuming we would have to pay him a big wage. We'd offer him what we thought he was worth, it would then be up to all parties to agree a deal which would probably involve Sunderland compensating him for releasing him from his contract.

If the £40K per week figure is accurate,  I'm sure we could attract a slightly better calibre of player if we going to be paying anything like that amount. 

Guest gizowl

Sunderland website saying they don't believe theirs anybody daft enough to want him, still got 2 yrs left on 35 to 40 grand a week, only in their wildest dreams would somebody want to take him off their hands, please don't let it be us, I'm sick of been a home for has beens. 

Guest LondonOwl313
2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe, but it would just be replacing one lot of has beens, with a new lot of has beens

We just need good players.. age is irrelevant. I bet you loved it when we signed Jeremy Helen, young, quick, had resale value potential. But ultimately crap at football.

I agree we can’t be signing players in their mid 30s on £30-40k a week who will only play a handful of games (think Catermole fits this). That would make no sense. But if the quality players, the likes of Diame, Gary Cahill or others were fit, available and would fit within the wage structure then it makes perfect sense to sign them on frees despite their ages.

we just need to get out of the division and worry about building a top team after that. There aren’t that many players in this league under 23 who are playing every week. The bulk of the better players are late 20s, early 30s. It’s just how it is as players move down from the premier league at that stage of their career. The better younger ones move up and cost a fortune in transfer fees generally. Bruce will sort this out, he’s used experienced players before and had success  

2 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

I think it could be more of a sign that we are priced out of those players ie Morsy and it’s now a case of who can he get who he knows and trusts. An approach that Dave Jones adopted.

We may be priced out of Morsy but surely we could afford Will Vaulks? He seems a far better option to me.

5 hours ago, gizowl said:

Sunderland website saying they don't believe theirs anybody daft enough to want him, still got 2 yrs left on 35 to 40 grand a week, only in their wildest dreams would somebody want to take him off their hands, please don't let it be us, I'm sick of been a home for has beens. 

Would that be the official Sunderland website or just an irrelevant one for whinging so called fans who don’t really attend matches?

Guest gizowl
28 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Would that be the official Sunderland website or just an irrelevant one for whinging so called fans who don’t really attend matches?

Probably a similar website to this one, where we say what a waste of money, Abdi, Jones, Van Aken, Boyd etc were, I'm a season ticket holder and foundation member by the way. 

We have to buy experience - they’re the ones we can realistically afford, loan PL youth& vigour - as illustrated by most successful teams in this division & bring through our own youth players to either strengthen the first team or sell on. The Will Vaulks situation shows that decent young players are going for stupid amounts that price us out of competing for them so we can only realistically get players with questionable injury records (Odubaju), unknown punts (Börner) or “experience” (Cattermole). We need to get behind our youngsters like Penney, Dawson etc & understand a poor run of form doesn’t give us the right to slate them & write them off - we’re far too quick to make a decision on a young player & far too stubborn to change it. There’s likely a player there in our youth set up that could be our Will Vaulks & save us 4 million quid, we just need to get behind them. Finally the youth/pace/energy will come - most likely from loans & we all know those aren’t sorted out at this stage of the window.

We may need to compromise with what we expect from our transfer business this year, we finally have someone in charge who knows what they’re doing so let’s get behind him & not chuck our dummies when we don’t sign a mob of 23 year old sprinters.

Edited by Yellowbelly
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

We just need good players.. age is irrelevant. I bet you loved it when we signed Jeremy Helen, young, quick, had resale value potential. But ultimately crap at football.

I agree we can’t be signing players in their mid 30s on £30-40k a week who will only play a handful of games (think Catermole fits this). That would make no sense. But if the quality players, the likes of Diame, Gary Cahill or others were fit, available and would fit within the wage structure then it makes perfect sense to sign them on frees despite their ages.

we just need to get out of the division and worry about building a top team after that. There aren’t that many players in this league under 23 who are playing every week. The bulk of the better players are late 20s, early 30s. It’s just how it is as players move down from the premier league at that stage of their career. The better younger ones move up and cost a fortune in transfer fees generally. Bruce will sort this out, he’s used experienced players before and had success  

To an extent, I agree, age can be  irrelevant, if you’re good enough. However, I would suggest that a lot of these players mentioned, are no longer good enough. Don’t forget, Abdi, Jones and Boyd were all good players.

There is also the issue of the team being collectively too old, which I would suggest, ours was. If we just replace the older ones who have left, with a new set of oldies, how does that help? We already have plenty of experience, good players at this level, but what we need are younger players with pace and energy, players who are on their way up. We can do that with loans, we don’t need to be recruiting 6 or 7 players who have all seen better days. 

Edited by gurujuan

22 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

We have to buy experience - they’re the ones we can realistically afford, loan PL youth& vigour - as illustrated by most successful teams in this division & bring through our own youth players to either strengthen the first team or sell on. The Will Vaulks situation shows that decent young players are going for stupid amounts that price us out of competing for them so we can only realistically get players with questionable injury records (Odubaju), unknown punts (Börner) or “experience” (Cattermole). We need to get behind our youngsters like Penney, Dawson etc & understand a poor run of form doesn’t give us the right to slate them & write them off - we’re far too quick to make a decision on a young player & far too stubborn to change it. There’s likely a player there in our youth set up that could be our Will Vaulks & save us 4 million quid, we just need to get behind them. Finally the youth/pace/energy will come - most likely from loans & we all know those aren’t sorted out at this stage of the window.

We may need to compromise with what we expect from our transfer business this year, we finally have someone in charge who knows what they’re doing so let’s get behind him & not chuck our dummies when we don’t sign a mob of 23 year old sprinters.

Will Vaulks didn’t cost Rotherham a fortune though. There are the players out there, if you know where to look. 

29 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Will Vaulks didn’t cost Rotherham a fortune though. There are the players out there, if you know where to look. 

True, but could you imagine the reaction if we signed an unknown from Falkirk for next to nothing? We are sometimes our own worst enemies.

5 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

True, but could you imagine the reaction if we signed an unknown from Falkirk for next to nothing? We are sometimes our own worst enemies.

Yes we are, that’s so true. However, wherever we can’t these younger legs from, we just can’t accumulate another half a dozen thirty somethings

Guest LondonOwl313
51 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

To an extent, I agree, age can be  irrelevant, if you’re good enough. However, I would suggest that a lot of these players mentioned, are no longer good enough. Don’t forget, Abdi, Jones and Boyd were all good players.

There is also the issue of the team being collectively too old, which I would suggest, ours was. If we just replace the older ones who have left, with a new set of oldies, how does that help? We already have plenty of experience, good players at this level, but what we need are younger players with pace and energy, players who are on their way up. We can do that with loans, we don’t need to be recruiting 6 or 7 players who have all seen better days. 

I think cost is the factor that swings it. We’ve been very unlucky with the older players we have signed over the last few seasons.. Abdi was a write off for whatever reason. Jones was ok-ish at the start but not really what was needed, contract was too long and not worth the fee or wages. Boyd personally I think did ok, but wasn’t worth the reported wages. If he’d have been on say 15k, he was a solid addition to the squad.. but if it’s 30k plus then he didn’t bring enough. 

If any of these older players are asking for big money and long contracts then it’s a no. If they’re fit and not asking for huge wages then it can work.

we desperately need to add some pace and physicality to the team as it’s our major weakness. But think we should focus on players attributes and how much they cost rather than worrying about ages too much

I think we have to understand that this season it is about the team rather than individuals as it has been in the past

So don't expect 12 new u25 world-beaters who we can sell for gazillions....it will be about a balanced team with experience (look at the impact Westwood and Hutchinson had) aligned to some youthful and pact players

I don't want cattermole, but you have to look at the bigger picture, you need some experience

14 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I think cost is the factor that swings it. We’ve been very unlucky with the older players we have signed over the last few seasons.. Abdi was a write off for whatever reason. Jones was ok-ish at the start but not really what was needed, contract was too long and not worth the fee or wages. Boyd personally I think did ok, but wasn’t worth the reported wages. If he’d have been on say 15k, he was a solid addition to the squad.. but if it’s 30k plus then he didn’t bring enough. 

If any of these older players are asking for big money and long contracts then it’s a no. If they’re fit and not asking for huge wages then it can work.

we desperately need to add some pace and physicality to the team as it’s our major weakness. But think we should focus on players attributes and how much they cost rather than worrying about ages too much

It’s the ethos I want us to change We have a wealth of experience, clearly it’s the younger legs we need. Bruce himself, has suggested he’d like to bring in at least 5-6 new players to freshen the squad up. If that allocation is taken up by, similarly aged players, to the ones we have let go, how does that help things?

To my mind, bring in a couple of 25-26 year olds, who may be out of contract, and do the rest with loans from the Premier League There are some exciting young talents who will go out on loan, players with the sort of talent that we couldn’t now afford to buy. Their clubs will be wanting them to play regularly, so if we are to tempt them, we can’t have a load of older players blocking their route into the first team. You’re right, it is about finding the right blend, but currently, with only one player under the age of 25 in the side, I would suggest that the experience is already there.

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1