Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

18 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

And yet... 

- they paid his full salary despite many in here saying they wouldn’t 

- they paid a substantial loan fee despite many on here saying they wouldn’t 

- they had an option to buy him clause in the contract of 7m that they agreed to 

weird isn’t it, many of our fans are adamant we couldn’t give him away, then there’s a huge crowd that think we should sell him for less than the buying club thought was good value for a one year loan.

All I can say is I’m glad most the posters on here aren’t in charge of player sales. Stuck in valuations of the late 80s. I would say early 90s but we were paying more then than many on here value the current crop at.  

I don't think they did pay his salary in full. Think the loan fee combined with what they payed in wages made up to his full salary.

Guest timrud
7 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Bar all the press reports saying we are holding out for the 7m option to purchase in his initial loan deal? Also Bruce saying it’s up to Norwich if he returns (pre existing option to buy). 

Have you seen the quotes from Norwich saying there is no agreed fee?

Guest addedtime
43 minutes ago, smhouston said:

£3m, seriously? You think he's half the player Madine is?

Truthfully think £5m should be the absolute minimum, aiming for £7m. Premiership team, had a great career, they want him

HAD a great career. Correct.

5 minutes ago, timrud said:

Have you seen the quotes from Norwich saying there is no agreed fee?

Nope. But I’d find it strange that Bruce would say it’s in Norwich control if there isn’t any agreement. 

13 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I don't think they did pay his salary in full. Think the loan fee combined with what they payed in wages made up to his full salary.

Any actual evidence to back this up?

Guest gizowl

Nothing in reality has a definite value, properties, footballers etc, it's estimated, the actual price paid comes down to demand and interest, as I've said if Norwich walk away, I think we'll be stuck with him for the rest of his contract,or if he has mediocre season with us, what will he be worth next summer with one Yr left on his contract. 

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

Nope. But I’d find it strange that Bruce would say it’s in Norwich control if there isn’t any agreement. 

Rhodes is for sale, it's no secret. 

Norwich want him, it's no secret.

However, that's very different to having an option to buy. I can rent out a holiday home and make it very clear that I'd be interested in buying the place at the end of my lease, and the current landlords are very interested in selling for the right price, but that doesn't mean there was an option written into the letting contract that allows me to do so once my tenancy is up, and equally it doesn't mean a pre-existing price was agreed. 

Norwich have come out and said no such agreement was in place but that it's still something everyone wants doing... just depends on agreeing the price

7 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Rhodes is for sale, it's no secret. 

Norwich want him, it's no secret.

However, that's very different to having an option to buy. I can rent out a holiday home and make it very clear that I'd be interested in buying the place at the end of my lease, and the current landlords are very interested in selling for the right price, but that doesn't mean there was an option written into the letting contract that allows me to do so once my tenancy is up, and equally it doesn't mean a pre-existing price was agreed. 

Norwich have come out and said no such agreement was in place but that it's still something everyone wants doing... just depends on agreeing the price

Think I would be more inclined to believe what Steve Bruce says rather than the press

Unfortunately if anything is going to hold us back next season, it's the forwards. Despite on paper, the players being more than up to the job required, our goalscoring output during the Chansiri Era has been modest at best (and before the chairman arrived at this level in all fairness). Without a 20 goal a season striker (and we haven't had one at this level since the last time we got promoted from it) we're going to struggle to achieve the promotion we all want? 

I'm sure Bruce knows this and ideally he'll want to bring in a forward of his own choosing but I suspect he'll be unable to and he'll have to try to get the best out of what he's got? Only Fletcher IMO is the one he can put his hat on to score regularly and he'll get 10-15 at best. Getting more out of Rhodes and Forrestieri is his task as I'm not convinced he particularly rates Joao and Winnall?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

Bristol City wanting £10M for Callum O'Dowda. Thats after they already sold that young centre back for £13M. And sold their 3 beat players last year for a combined £25M. 

In a way I can see why Chansiri gives our players big valuations but we always seem go be striking when the market for them has gone cold. Timing is key with how you turnover your squad. We've been rubbish at it. 

7 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Unfortunately if anything is going to hold us back next season, it's the forwards. Despite on paper, the players being more than up to the job required, our goalscoring output during the Chansiri Era has been modest at best (and before the chairman arrived at this level in all fairness). Without a 20 goal a season striker (and we haven't had one at this level since the last time we got promoted from it) we're going to struggle to achieve the promotion we all want? 

I'm sure Bruce knows this and ideally he'll want to bring in a forward of his own choosing but I suspect he'll be unable to and he'll have to try to get the best out of what he's got? Only Fletcher IMO is the one he can put his hat on to score regularly and he'll get 10-15 at best. Getting more out of Rhodes and Forrestieri is his task as I'm not convinced he particularly rates Joao and Winnall?

Personally I feel it’s the lack of service that’s been the problem not the strikers. To have a 20 goal a season striker, they need the chances.  Shearer says he wanted to be given 4 chances a game by his teammates to score a goal. We’ve had/got strikers who have shown they are 20 goal a season striker in this league (Rhodes, Winnall), but we didn’t have the right wingers for Rhodes to profit from, during the Carlos & Jos period.  

Hopefully Bruce realises we need more creative players in the side, judging by his reaction to some of our performances where he said there was a “lack of quality”, this usually comes from creative players, not goal poachers 

14 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Think I would be more inclined to believe what Steve Bruce says rather than the press

But it's not what the press says, it's what the Norwich City Sporting Director has said. Or am I missing something?

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Bristol City wanting £10M for Callum O'Dowda. Thats after they already sold that young centre back for £13M. And sold their 3 beat players last year for a combined £25M. 

In a way I can see why Chansiri gives our players big valuations but we always seem go be striking when the market for them has gone cold. Timing is key with how you turnover your squad. We've been rubbish at it. 

If he's worth 10m then reach should be worth 25m.

4 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

i would say making sure Fessi and Fletcher available for the whole season, if they are they will get 30 goals between then. Add another 10-20 depending on what other forwards we have - up front won't be a problem.

The issue will be what the issue has always been with the team over the last 4 season not enough goals coming from midfield, Bannan creates but we are lucky if he scored 3-4, Reach first half of season was great but he dropped off and based scored in the second half of the seasn, no one else scoring in midfield. We need a central midfielder/ right winger such as Maddison who is both creating changes as well as picking up the second balls and scoring. Midfield need to be add 20+ goals a season.

A defence that keep it tight at the back and job done top 6.

For me take £3m for Rhodes free up additional £2m a season on the wages. Instead he will sit on the bench or stands barely ever playing. Even with his uncle in the coaching staff.

Just now, StudentOwl said:

But it's not what the press says, it's what the Norwich City Sporting Director has said. Or am I missing something?

Do you believe a word he says? I don't personally.

Sounds like he's tryna drum up support to worm his way out if paying 7m for him, by appealing to the national press.

• Like 2

Guest gizowl
1 minute ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

If you have clubs lining up to sign him, which at the moment doesn't seem to be the case. 

2 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

So sell Reach sort the FFP issues, keep the stadium, spend £2m replace him with Aarons.

£20m better off, pace and supply for the strikers on the wings.

If only we had the Bristol City chairman. :Sid: 

6 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Do you believe a word he says? I don't personally.

Sounds like he's tryna drum up support to worm his way out if paying 7m for him, by appealing to the national press.

So Norwich are definitely lying, whereas Bruce's word is infallible and he couldn't possibly have made a mistake/been misinformed?

Has Bruce even actually equivocally said that they pre-agreed a fee?