Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

Guest wilyfox
8 hours ago, Brommers said:

Doesn't get injured enough so its a no from me.

No, but turning 35 I figured there's every chance that may change. 

6 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Will show we have learned nothing if we sign Downing. Well past his best.

Yes, wholeheartedly agree. Most of the players we e been rumoured to be interested in, go against our stated recruitment aims. Players the wrong side of 25, or with dubious fitness records. Only Onomah falls into the right age bracket, and he had injury issues galore last season. Signing Downing though, would be the height of folly

16 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Will show we have learned nothing if we sign Downing. Well past his best.

Agree. I know he's a free agent, but on a wider note wonder who will be keen to do business with Boro this summer.

Run the risk of being sued by Gibson unless he gets to see the accounts beforehand to make sure they can afford it, as the self appointed enforcer of FFP (now Boro have to comply on a level playing field without parachute payments)

If we sign Downing on a year with low wages and Bruce thinks he'll be useful to have around on and off the pitch in a playoff tilt, then it's fine by me.  As long as we don't sign 6 similar!

Guy was involved in 40 games last season...not sure his age is that relevant in his case.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, wholeheartedly agree. Most of the players we e been rumoured to be interested in, go against our stated recruitment aims. Players the wrong side of 25, or with dubious fitness records. Only Onomah falls into the right age bracket, and he had injury issues galore last season. Signing Downing though, would be the height of folly

Are you just thick or permanently stuck in your own views???

Not everyone we're gonna sign will be under 25. We need a bit of experience to add to the youngsters to help them along. You don't want to be signing a young inexperienced cb when we already have 2 and it's our biggest problem area.

Also we aren't gonna sign every player we are linked with. Most will be agent talk tryna get a move, and others just testicles that anyone can post on Twitter/facebook/here.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

If we sign Downing on a year with low wages and Bruce thinks he'll be useful to have around on and off the pitch in a playoff tilt, then it's fine by me.  As long as we don't sign 6 similar!

Guy was involved in 40 games last season...not sure his age is that relevant in his case.  

Be an experienced guy to have around the dressing room. Bruce will know all about that effect on the youngsters.

Is signing Downing what I'd like? No, but end of day it's not my decision.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Downing is a definite no go. I’ll be hugely disappointed if we sign him and will go against what Steve Bruce said at the end of the season.

Not everyone we sign will be under 25. You can't build a team buying one type of player, which we already know, and signing full u25s not gonna work either.

Guest wilyfox

It'll be agent touting. Rangers have already denied interest reported from that source. We already have stacks of experience in midfield with Lee, Bannan, and Hutchinson. We don't need a 35yr old Downing. 

Edited by wilyfox

31 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Are you just thick or permanently stuck in your own views???

Not everyone we're gonna sign will be under 25. We need a bit of experience to add to the youngsters to help them along. You don't want to be signing a young inexperienced cb when we already have 2 and it's our biggest problem area.

Also we aren't gonna sign every player we are linked with. Most will be agent talk tryna get a move, and others just testicles that anyone can post on Twitter/facebook/here.

Err perhaps that’s why I said rumoured? We also have plenty of experience in the squad, it’s younger legs we need, something that DC seems to agree on