Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

4 minutes ago, mogbad said:

To be honest with you I don't think that's how the world does work in modern day football.  These days it would be very unusual for a manager/head coach to be involved in the financial side of transfers.

So let’s use Obudujo or whatever his name is as an example. Assuming we are signing him.

Bruce has worked with him before and will be on first name terms with his agent. So Bruce makes contact and expresses an interest. In fact persuades him to come.

The first question the agent and player will have asked is how long a contract and roughly how much. If Bruce has to keep saying I can’t talk to you about that he is going to look a bit daft.

He will have a budget to work to.

He will talk to the chairman about the deal and will talk about what we are thinking of offering with the player and agent as that is a big part of convincing him to come.

He might not be involved in the final legal contractual work but the deal should be done by then.

As I said if Bruce is not allowed to talk to agents and players about potential contracts he will be gone  as he will not accept not having the responsibility for getting his targets in.

We don’t have a Director of Football etc and Bruce won’t accept some no mark from Doyen making a mess of negotiations because they prefer to sell us a player on their books.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Very bored so I’ve decided to predict how we will line-up first game of the new season:

Westwood

Palmer Lees Borner Bidwell

Bannan Morsy Onomah

Reach Fletcher Nmecha

Subs:

Dawson, Iorfa, Thorniley, Odubajo, Lee, Forestieri, Rhodes

Feel free to take your guess. We’ll see how close we are in a couple of months time. 

Westwood 

Odubajo  Hector  Findlay  Bidwell 

Onomah  Diamé  Bannan 

Forestieri            Kololli 

Fletcher 

5 minutes ago, Sonny said:

So we agreed £7m for Rhodes but it wasn’t actually an agreement? Seems that way. If it wasn’t binding then didn’t seem much point in even discussing it.

Would imagine they agreed to the optional figure being put into the contract. Now they are trying to get him for less. We will probably meet in the middle somewhere.

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

Would imagine they agreed to the optional figure being put into the contract. Now they are trying to get him for less. We will probably meet in the middle somewhere.

So if we don’t reduce our figure they can just walk away?

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

So if we don’t reduce our figure they can just walk away?

Thats why its called an option.

Essentially Norwich are saying that they don't want to exercise their option. Fair enough. But they would like to buy him for, say £4m.

But it works both ways. If Rhodes had had a stellar season and they didnt want to (or couldn't) pay £7m we could sell elsewhere, possibly for more. As it is, if any other team comes in and offers more than Norwich, that's where we'd look to sell.

6 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Essentially Norwich are saying that they don't want to exercise their option. Fair enough. But they would like to buy him for, say £4m.

But it works both ways. If Rhodes had had a stellar season and they didnt want to (or couldn't) pay £7m we could sell elsewhere, possibly for more. As it is, if any other team comes in and offers more than Norwich, that's where we'd look to sell.

Doesn’t sound like it was the greatest of agreements for us then. Fairly worthless, as it turns out.

3 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

But if he did have a good season then Norwich would have Definitely have got him for 7m as he would probably have been worth 15m. 

Frankfurt did it with the benfica player then sold him to Madrid for a massive profit.

5 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

But if he did have a good season then Norwich would have Definitely have got him for 7m as he would probably have been worth 15m. 

Frankfurt did it with the benfica player then sold him to Madrid for a massive profit.

Wolves did the same with Afobe.

Loaned from Bournemouth with an option to buy. Didn't want him, but bought him at the agreed price to sell on to Stoke at a profit a few days later.

12 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Doesn’t sound like it was the greatest of agreements for us then. Fairly worthless, as it turns out.

But Norwich might have insisted on a purchase option. Without it the loan deal which we were desperate for might have fallen through.

An option is usually just protection against price escalation for the (potential) buyer. 

19 minutes ago, camffiti said:

Anyone worth raiding from Sunderland? 

Oviedo?

McGeady?

Honeyman? 

Bielik? 

I've not seen them at all this season tbh 

I don’t think so, Charlton would’ve been another matter, Bauer, Aribo, Taylor and a few other were all wondering whether they’d be able to stay there. They look a decent side going forward.

2 hours ago, GHS said:

I'd be looking at Josh Cullen, always farmed out on loan and they gave always been successful.

Watched him a few times when he was at Bradford and very impressed.

Box to box and high energy.

23 now so good age and fits our mould.

Imagine he will stop at Charlton now 

3 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Also the notion that fans wanted Rhodes at whatever cost isn’t true. The general consensus was that Rhodes would be good if we could afford him in FFP.

Not how I remember it, most were egging DC on to buy him positively in the thought that he would get us over the final hurdle. The sense of excitement on OT was almost tangible.  When it went pear-shaped, everyone suddenly seemed to remember they were the one who warned DC against signing him. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mycroft said:

Not how I remember it, most were egging DC on to buy him positively in the thought that he would get us over the final hurdle. The sense of excitement on OT was almost tangible.  When it went pear-shaped, everyone suddenly seemed to remember they were the one who warned DC against signing him. 

Dont get me wrong, many people wanted us to sign him, including me, as the story kept coming up and we were missing a lot of chances, plus there was the memory of his 4 goal haul.

But the message from Carlos and the club had always been clear that they were working within FFP (“we do not swim in a golden pool” :ph34r:). So presumably we’d only sign him if it wasn’t going to hamstring us in that regard either individually or cumulatively. But unfortunately it made a big dint in that. He actually started really well and looked well worth it but after the pen miss at Leeds something clearly went in his head or behind the scenes.

I was quite keen on us loaning him tbh til that summer without a fee agreed as it would get the Rhodes thing out of everyone’s system.

We are where we are now and we can’t change previous losses but if we can free up some capacity in the accounts by moving him on for a few quid and removing his wages for this year it would be the best we can hope for if he’s not keen on coming back. At least it’s not a Villa McCormack situation where I don’t think they got any substantial fee back and we wanted him too.