Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

Just now, Woodie said:

Didn’t have a very good season last year though did he mate.

Doesn't mean he won't this. Dont think we would have offered him a new deal if we wasn't confident about his fitness going forward.

34 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

No I get that - I suspect Bruce's role is basically identifying targets and telling DC if any squad members are surplus to requirements, DC likely has full control over pricing and negotiation.

Thing is Bruce will have identified Iorfa and we got him on the cheap. In the future we could make money on him but only if DC sells. Here lies the problem.

35 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

No I get that - I suspect Bruce's role is basically identifying targets and telling DC if any squad members are surplus to requirements, DC likely has full control over pricing and negotiation.

Thing is Bruce will have identified Iorfa and we got him on the cheap. In the future we could make money on him but only if DC sells. Here lies the problem.

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Sunderland staying in League One. We’ve been linked with Matthews and Cattermole. Might make those signings a bit more realistic now. Personally would avoid both. 

Don't rate cattermole not seen enough of Matthews really but don't see the need for a right back unless palmer leaves 

45 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

That might have been the way it worked previously but I wouldn’t expect Bruce to put up with that.

If Bruce wants something to happen then he will want to be certain it happens. The only way he can do that is to do the talking with the player and his agent.

If DC insists on doing it Bruce will not stick around.

He will not accept him and his recruitment staff doing the hard work identifying players to lose them because of the incompetent negotiations 

6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Sunderland staying in League One. We’ve been linked with Matthews and Cattermole. Might make those signings a bit more realistic now. Personally would avoid both. 

I’m hoping we don’t sign players that fail in League 1

10 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

That might have been the way it worked previously but I wouldn’t expect Bruce to put up with that.

If Bruce wants something to happen then he will want to be certain it happens. The only way he can do that is to do the talking with the player and his agent.

If DC insists on doing it Bruce will not stick around.

He will not accept him and his recruitment staff doing the hard work identifying players to lose them because of the incompetent negotiations 

Bruce will not & should not be in charge of financial & contract negotiations with other clubs & players.

When he says he's in charge of transfers it will mean that he & his team alone will identify targets or players surplus to requirements with no outside influence from 3rd parties such as Doyen.

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Didn’t mind the idea of Cattermole based on what I saw earlier last season but he looked a yard slower today 

He’s also 31 and apparently on 40k per week. A lot for an ‘over the hill’ player that was never brilliant 

Just now, mogbad said:

Bruce will not & should not be in charge of financial & contract negotiations with other clubs & players.

When he says he's in charge of transfers it will mean that he & his team alone will identify targets or players surplus to requirements with no outside influence from 3rd parties such as Doyen.

Of course neither of us know.

But what I am pretty certain of is if players Bruce wants into the club, players he convinces to come here then fail to sign because of our incompetence in negotiations.

Managers like him spend their time talking to players and agents convincing them to sign. Part of that will be financial terms , it’s how the world works.

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

Of course neither of us know.

But what I am pretty certain of is if players Bruce wants into the club, players he convinces to come here then fail to sign because of our incompetence in negotiations.

Managers like him spend their time talking to players and agents convincing them to sign. Part of that will be financial terms , it’s how the world works.

To be honest with you I don't think that's how the world does work in modern day football.  These days it would be very unusual for a manager/head coach to be involved in the financial side of transfers.

4 minutes ago, Rogers said:

He’s also 31 and apparently on 40k per week. A lot for an ‘over the hill’ player that was never brilliant 

Agreed, even if we paid him 10 k a week less that would be too much IMO. I've read that he's still got two years of his contract to run so not only will he still want that sort of cash we might have to pay a transfer fee (though I imagine Sunderland would be happy to just have his wages off the books now that they're facing another season in L1).

Very bored so I’ve decided to predict how we will line-up first game of the new season:

Westwood

Palmer Lees Borner Bidwell

Bannan Morsy Onomah

Reach Fletcher Nmecha

Subs:

Dawson, Iorfa, Thorniley, Odubajo, Lee, Forestieri, Rhodes

Feel free to take your guess. We’ll see how close we are in a couple of months time. 

• Like 1