Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

6 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

5 million for Hector is a good price regardless of how longs on his contract. 

It won’t be 5 million up front. More like 2 million then the rest to follow.

If he was on a 3/4 year deal then it wouldn’t be much in FFP terms. But given they signed him for 4m, never played him loaned him a million times and hes free in 12 months they are taking the mick a little bit (if true).

The likes of Onomah and Brown are the type of players we should be going for. Players at Top Premier League clubs with pedigree at various levels on the International Stage who are struggling to make headway in the first team of their parent clubs and are at an age where they are perhaps ready to move on and make a career for themselves somewhere else. Bruce is a perfect choice of manager for this type of player to help them do this.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

4 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

I agree with most posts on Onomah: disappointing at best. Talented, but all to infrequently shows it.

Id be concerned if we spent any more than a nominal sum. Even £350k is pushing it.

57 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Wouldnt pay a penny for Onomah . Did little while here and struggled to get in the team. All new signings need to improve the side or no point in signing them. Hector 5m look elsewhere then better value than that will be available. 

Really don’t get these comments. Whilst I think it highly unlikely we could sign Onomah on the cheap, if there was a chance then I think it would be excellent business.  He’s only just 22, has the physical attributes we lack right now, is technically sound and I believe more likely to succeed in the Premier League than any of the current squad.

7 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Really don’t get these comments. Whilst I think it highly unlikely we could sign Onomah on the cheap, if there was a chance then I think it would be excellent business.  He’s only just 22, has the physical attributes we lack right now, is technically sound and I believe more likely to succeed in the Premier League than any of the current squad.

If this was summer 2015 I might agree with your suggestion that getting Onomah would be good business. But our ability to spend is much more constrained than it was. We need to spend what we can with much more care. 

Whilst every signing has an element of risk, spending millions on a player that might succeed in the premier league, whilst the evidence in our own backyard suggests he might not even succeed at championship level, would be somewhat wasteful.

29 minutes ago, owlszone said:

How can we talk about signing Hector for 5mil and be ok about it? 

Too much for me. 1.5/2mil more realistic under our current situation...

We’ll see. Another CB is needed though

For me 5 million, is far to much for hector. 

We just arnt in that type of market.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

If this was summer 2015 I might agree with your suggestion that getting Onomah would be good business. But our ability to spend is much more constrained than it was. We need to spend what we can with much more care. 

Whilst every signing has an element of risk, spending millions on a player that might succeed in the premier league, whilst the evidence in our own backyard suggests he might not even succeed at championship level, would be somewhat wasteful.

I think it would all depend on the fee. Certainly wouldn’t advocate blowing the budget on him, but if there was any chance of a good deal (not talking millions here) then I think that’s a risk worth taking.

I was so disappointed with Onomah last season. Genuinely expected him to be a shining light in our side when we signed him, and by the end of the season I was left wondering what his strengths were, never mind anything else.

That said... he was thrown under the bus by Luhukay. I can't remember the game it was, but he was publicly lambasted after a poor team display, despite actually playing reasonably well in that particular game. From that moment on, he was a player playing with no confidence whatsoever, and it showed. 

Bruce is a long time, known admirer. He had Onomah for a full season, and used him a lot...and that was as a 20 year old in a Villa side that pushing for promotion under immense pressure. And lets be honest here...if Onomah is available for a reasonable fee...he's a player who's a great age, with a good, solid reputation who could be worth a lot of money in a year or two, if he performs at this level. 

Almost universally, we all agree we need legs and power in central areas. Onomah provides that. If we do end up signing Onomah, I'd be willing to write last season off (based on poor man management by Luhukay, and two lengthy injuries), and I'd like to see him in a well-balanced, organised side under a manager that puts faith in him. 

Hector for £5M is probably a bit warm for us. Maybe we would have gone for that when we were flush but I think that's not the price range we are shopping in.

Personally I'd like him back here but £3M is more like what he's worth, as a sweetener they can have a bonus clause if we get promoted next year, say £500K. If not let's move on. He's not really clicked with any other team he's been loaned to, If Chelsea can get £5M elsewhere good luck to them.

32 minutes ago, prowl said:

Hector for £5M is probably a bit warm for us. Maybe we would have gone for that when we were flush but I think that's not the price range we are shopping in.

Personally I'd like him back here but £3M is more like what he's worth, as a sweetener they can have a bonus clause if we get promoted next year, say £500K. If not let's move on. He's not really clicked with any other team he's been loaned to, If Chelsea can get £5M elsewhere good luck to them.

Not sure Hector at £5m makes much sense at all. There are definitely good CBs out there that we could get for less than half that and I'd trust Bruce to identify them. 

11 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Our expectations were adjusted and we didn't expect promotion. 

That changed when a new chairman came in and promised us promotion with in three years.

Utter testicles no promises were made

There's a difference between Hector being worth £5million and it making sense for us to spend £5million on him. 

He's clearly worth at least £5million given the season he has just had and his age and pedigree.  People said the same thing about Reach and he proved his worth and that was years ago and since then the transfer market and prices have continued to rise sharply. 

20 minutes ago, glosowl said:

Utter testicles no promises were made

Its amazing innit,how one statement can be so "misqouted" by so many.......................................baffling.

(Not exclusive to just this place).

Edited by DELUDED OWL