Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

1 hour ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Liverpool persevered with Henderson when people said he was a flop, they're not doing bad lately.

Maybe we just have impatient chairmen,  managers and fans who demand instant gratification instead of year on year improvement.

Henderson is a limited footballer who has the desire to run through brick walls for his team and the professionalism and personality to be a leader on the pitch.

Onomah is a technically proficient footballer with no outward desire to run through brick walls for his team and certainly appears to lack leadership on the pitch (what he's like behind the scenes, who knows). 

You can coach the football into a footballer, you can't coach the personality into the person. 

You might as well be comparing apples to oranges

3 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Our expectations were adjusted and we didn't expect promotion. 

That changed when a new chairman came in and promised us promotion with in three years.

He didn't promise promotion, he did say he was setting his sights on getting us promoted by 2017.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

He never promised promotion. He said he wanted to achieve it by the anniversary.

Correct.  It seems our Thai chairman has a better grasp of English than many of our supporters.

• Like 1

DC 02/04/2015

New Sheffield Wednesday owner Dejphon Chansiri wants the Championship club to gain promotion to the Premier League within the next two years.

The Thai businessman officially took over the club from Milan Mandaric on Monday after a deal worth £37.5m.

The Owls, currently 10th in the table, celebrate their 150th anniversary in 2017 and Chansiri is hopeful they can be in the top division by then.

He told BBC Radio Sheffield: "We want to be back for our anniversary."

Chansiri added: "We will do whatever is appropriate to invest in the club to get them to the Premier League."

DC. 16/01/2019

“Many people have suggested that I invested the amount of money I did – and continue to do – in order to achieve promotion to the Premier League. But this is not correct. I invested these sums to stay in the Championship, to ensure we would have the best chance of avoiding relegation. If promotion came, then great, but building from the bottom gave us the best opportunity of getting to the top.”

23 minutes ago, Walt said:

DC 02/04/2015

New Sheffield Wednesday owner Dejphon Chansiri wants the Championship club to gain promotion to the Premier League within the next two years.

The Thai businessman officially took over the club from Milan Mandaric on Monday after a deal worth £37.5m.

The Owls, currently 10th in the table, celebrate their 150th anniversary in 2017 and Chansiri is hopeful they can be in the top division by then.

Chansiri added: "We will do whatever is appropriate to invest in the club to get them to the Premier League."

DC. 16/01/2019

“Many people have suggested that I invested the amount of money I did – and continue to do – in order to achieve promotion to the Premier League. But this is not correct. I invested these sums to stay in the Championship, to ensure we would have the best chance of avoiding relegation. If promotion came, then great, but building from the bottom gave us the best opportunity of getting to the top.”

I think the 2019 quote is more the realistic one. Basically, in 2015 he came in and knew the squad had problems but he's not going to give interviews saying we're going to be fighting relegation. 

Didnt get as much as I would have liked last season but seen Onomah afew times, liked how effortless it was for him to cover ground but he needs to get stuck in more. 

As sad as it sounds, I doubt he would have made the pigs starting 11, they fought for eachother on a different level. 

But at the same time, I think Onomah is capable of developing into a Premier League player.

No more than 3m Brucey.

1 hour ago, Walt said:

DC 02/04/2015

DC. 16/01/2019

These quotes prove he never promised it.

He says he "wants" us to be there by our anniversary (no promise).

He then says that we'll do "whatever it takes to get there", but doesn't put a timescale on it... indeed, "whatever it takes" could well include selling our stadium for cash if we get a couple of years past our anniversary and still haven't made it.

5 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

Didnt get as much as I would have liked last season but seen Onomah afew times, liked how effortless it was for him to cover ground but he needs to get stuck in more. 

As sad as it sounds, I doubt he would have made the pigs starting 11, they fought for eachother on a different level. 

But at the same time, I think Onomah is capable of developing into a Premier League player.

No more than 3m Brucey.

With the reduced or little budget we have I’d be seriously worried if we spent 3m on Onomah 

Was no more than a passenger for most of last season

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Down South said:

I know where you’re coming from, but most of us have been round the block enough times to realise we cannot rely on ‘promises’ - sport just doesn’t work like that.

1 hour ago, Sham67 said:

Correct.  It seems our Thai chairman has a better grasp of English than many of our supporters.

1 hour ago, Hookowl said:

He didn't promise promotion, he did say he was setting his sights on getting us promoted by 2017.

Promised not the right word to have used. I meant more he came in with money and built up the expectations of the supports so now we crave promotion and almost expect it rather them before when we just hoped for it.

20 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

With the reduced or little budget we have I’d be seriously worried if we spent 3m on Onomah 

I agree with most posts on Onomah: disappointing at best. Talented, but all to infrequently shows it.

Id be concerned if we spent any more than a nominal sum. Even £350k is pushing it.

3 hours ago, yeadonowl said:

Also gave away needless expensive fouls