Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

8 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Josh Onomah is quality.

He suffered under Luhukay but he had odd ideas.

Personally I think Onomah is better than Bannan. 

Although Bruce would no doubt use him in a different role 

I could see him competing with Lee for the box to box role

2 hours ago, oldishowl said:

As a team we tend to play far too deep . Against better sides we get penned in with the only outlet being a long ball. Normally this loses possession.

Bannan doesn’t help this. Because he can’t win the physical battles further up the pitch, he drops deeper and because he is our main link player the team end up deeper.

I am not surprised Bruce appears to be looking to sign some pacy fullbacks who get up and down and carry the ball. This is an easy way to get further up the pitch.

For me we need to go 433. Not 4231.

Without further signings Hutch would play deep in a three. However not like he did under Carlos which was too deep playing footsie with the centre halves. This could also be Morsy.

Bannan and another play in a two in front of Hutch and have to take responsibility for getting us forward. If they drop deep or keep passing it back then we will struggle and this will be a big test for Bannan. Watch Grealish and McGinn at Villa, they always carry the ball or pass forward.

We then need to sort a front 3 from our myriad of options or sell and bring in some alternatives. 

Easy this game!

Bannan is a very good player but is difficult to fit into a successful team. He ilacks pace or physical attributes to be in front line so has to play in a deeper midfield role. Whats more he was often our sole outlet so when opposition closed him down put a man on him we struggled. We need pacey for wards to stretch game and give Bannan more room to operate and also to create threats elsewhere. Since JL left Bannan number of Assists and goal scoring has improved because other areas of team to worry about thus giving him a chance. Think 4-2-3-1 approach is best for him because we can slot him in against solid defensive midfielder and he becomes a link man between defence and forwards. He can also get forward to support attack but does not pickup man marker which makes his game difficult.

10 minutes ago, MarkS43Owl said:

Which revolves around Bannan.

It involves him but also has other options such as more pace down wing and long balls from back bypassing midfield. It means we are more difficult to play against and when Bannan does get into game he has no marker which makes him more effective. He had farmore touches of ball in some games in first half of season and we lost. 

23 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Josh Onomah is quality.

Agree with this, alot of people on here have the wrong idea on Onomah.

Very good footballer and always passes forward. Jos ruined this guys confidence and then he was unlucky with injury under Bruce. This all might lead to us getting a cut price deal for him.

1 hour ago, camffiti said:

Regarding when Bosman deals can be done 

If they've been offered a new deal it will be from the final 30 days of a players contract.

If they haven't, the club waive their right to that exclusivity until the 1st June, so he can sign with anyone at any time.

Foreign players (incl. Scotland) is from 6 months left.

Edited by Birley Owl 1867

Re. the Bannan debate - I always go on about how clunky our squad is because of DC's haphazard transfer policy.

The biggest problem created by this is in midfield, where we've got central players who I think can only realise their full potential in a three, which would allow each of them to fully express themselves and compliment each other's abilities (e.g. Hutchinson as a no. 6, Lee as a link up man and Bannan as a no. 8). Either in a 4-3-3 like you get at Derby or a 3-5-2 like the Blunts played.

Unfortunately, they can't be deployed as a three because our wide players are used as wide midfielders rather than wingers (even though I'm convinced Forestieri and Matias would have suited playing in a front three) and we don't seem to trust our full backs to play as wing backs. So instead we end up with awkward pairings in midfield where both players end up sat too deep to avoid having too big a gap between them. All over the squad we've got players suited to different roles which don't compliment others in the team.

We need a much more joined up approach to recruitment, which comes from having a firm tactical Plan A and Plan B.

36 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

Agree with this, alot of people on here have the wrong idea on Onomah.

Very good footballer and always passes forward. Jos ruined this guys confidence and then he was unlucky with injury under Bruce. This all might lead to us getting a cut price deal for him.

Very good footballer?

You obviously didn't go to PNE

As long as we don’t spend too much on him, say 2M max then I’d be happy, I reckon there’s a lot more to come from him and if give him a permanent deal I’m confident he will thrive.

Although saying that, I did think Boyd was a cracking signing so ignore any football associated comments from me!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I like his attrlbutes, but Onomah did sod all and couldn't stay fit. Talented, but I'd pass. 

Honestly don’t think we’ve seen enough of this lad to make a proper judgement. As said the first few months under Jo’s no one knew what 5hey were doing. Then injured for most of the time under Bruce. I trust Bruce to know enough about the lad. You don’t stay at spurs as long as he has without some attributes.

19 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Very good footballer?

You obviously didn't go to PNE

Well I did and although he had a fairly poor game, he was obviously off the pace after his longish lay off. To judge him on that outing shows you up.

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

Josh Onomah is quality.

Onomah was lazy, lacking in commitment and disappeared in and out of games. It appeared to me that he couldn't wait to return to London. 

4 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Onomah was lazy, lacking in commitment and disappeared in and out of games. It appeared to me that he couldn't wait to return to London. 

If that’s the case, he won’t sign for us anyway If you misjudged him, and he does join us, potentially we’ll have a really player on our hands

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

If that’s the case, he won’t sign for us anyway If you misjudged him, and he does join us, potentially we’ll have a really player on our hands

Can't see us signing him, I reckon Spurs would want millions. I never saw much from him in the way of being committed to the cause or the team. Seemed to ghost around looking a bit lost. How many times do you see these sorts of players that have had everything from a young age and been at a big club, playing for England youth and they end up doing nothing in their careers. He looks like one of those to me. A bit like when we signed flipping Bostock. 

8 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Totally agree and if you look at the Villa fans quotes, they mostly say the same thing, goes missing, in my opinion avoid.

Started off well, appeared to be more bothered about going back to spurs than helping get us promoted though, will go M.I.A for large periods.

With the ball, a huge talent.
Without it, like playing with 10 men.
Simple as that.

17 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

Well I did and although he had a fairly poor game, he was obviously off the pace after his longish lay off. To judge him on that outing shows you up.

I judge him on every outing I’ve seen.

Lazy and virtually non existent 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

Josh Onomah is quality.

Onomah is better than Bannan really or am I being whooshed. 

• Haha 1