Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

2 hours ago, MarkS43Owl said:

Ok, so who out of our current crop would you employ in the deep playmaker role?

Bannan is the absolute key to how we play. If you listen to most opposition managers pre-match press conferences the player they mention is Bannan. ''We have to stop Bannan'' 'Bannan is key' etc.

He is integral to our team and makes us 'tick' yes he plays deep but that's because he's the player who gets the ball off the back 4 to get us going.

You’re right that everything goes through Bannan, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we’re getting the absolute most we could out of him.

Personally I’d rather have our best playmaker more advanced. Hutchinson (or preferably a new signing with a bit more to his game) should be the one to take the ball from the defenders and get things moving. 

1 minute ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I think you could start with Fletcher in the middle of a front three like he did for Scotland with willing players running in behind for any flick ons. I would be concerned with Joao in a front three because he appears lazy and reacts slowly to the play around him. he needs to up his work rate to make us more effective up the pitch.

Aarons was perfect for a three so was Matias as they are players that look to go forward whereas Joao and Forestieri always look to come back and do Roy of the Rovers stuff on the ball.

Best I have seen us execute a front three or the one that comes to mind was Away at Villa. Fletcher, Reach and Matias all played the roles perfectly. Think we also played a back three that day aswell. 

46 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Agreed, I’ve always said, Hutchinson and Bannan cannot play together in a midfield two, for the reasons you suggest. We could go 4-3-3, yes, but the front three need to be able to interchange, and have better movement than they currently possess. Of the existing forwards, only Forestieri, Joao and Reach have the mobility to operate in such a system. I know Reach isn’t technically a forward, but he would be more likely to play in the front three, than in the middle three. There would be no starting place for Fletcher, Nuhiu, Winnall or Rhodes in such a system

And from our current crop, that’s the front 3 I’d like to see us play. 

Hopefully we will sign someone soon. 

Then we can take a break from the OT tradition, of blaming our best players for our shortcomings Bannan.png.ef443b7f1e6292f8b7f9d9cec389e995.png

I think it stems from a misguided belief, that we can sell our most valuable players at 1970s value and sign better for cheaper 

Edited by camffiti

22 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I think you could start with Fletcher in the middle of a front three like he did for Scotland with willing players running in behind for any flick ons. I would be concerned with Joao in a front three because he appears lazy and reacts slowly to the play around him. he needs to up his work rate to make us more effective up the pitch.

Again, I think this is too basic. Can’t say I would be much pleased were we to try and emulate Scotland’s attacking prowess. It’s hard to criticise a wholehearted player like Fletcher, who gives his all to the cause. The truth is though, we need a better all round footballer as the focal point of our attack, in my opinion at least.

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Again, I think this is too basic. Can’t say I would be much pleased were we to try and emulate Scotland’s attacking prowess. It’s hard to criticise a wholehearted player like Fletcher, who gives his all to the cause. The truth is though, we need a better all round footballer as the focal point of our attack, in my opinion at least.

I wouldnt sniff at having a forward line up of James Forrest and Ryan Fraser alongside Fletcher. Fletcher is quite skillful for a target man however his finishing can let him down at times.

Regarding when Bosman deals can be done 

Tomas Holy agrees to join #itfc from #Gills on Bosman free transfer. In Suffolk to undergo medical. Deal could be completed today.

Edited by camffiti

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

although it wouldn’t surprise me, Bruce is a huge admirer

Josh Onomah is quality.

He suffered under Luhukay but he had odd ideas.

Personally I think Onomah is better than Bannan. 

Although Bruce would no doubt use him in a different role 

Edited by Beholder
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, MarkS43Owl said:

Ok, so who out of our current crop would you employ in the deep playmaker role?

Bannan is the absolute key to how we play. If you listen to most opposition managers pre-match press conferences the player they mention is Bannan. ''We have to stop Bannan'' 'Bannan is key' etc.

He is integral to our team and makes us 'tick' yes he plays deep but that's because he's the player who gets the ball off the back 4 to get us going.

It was true if you stop bannan playing you stopped us. Which made us very easy to play against if you know all balls come through one area is to block off. Since Bruce came we have been varying approach.

2 minutes ago, Quist said:

It was true if you stop bannan playing you stopped us. Which made us very easy to play against if you know all balls come through one area is to block off. Since Bruce came we have been varying approach.

Which revolves around Bannan.

1 minute ago, casbahowl said:

This would be an amazing signing if true!

We’ve not even scratched the surface of this kids abilities........... SB, proper manager!

I feel the same, we certainly didn’t see the best of him. Bluesteel’s comment re Joao, I have some sympathy for, as both have plenty of talent, but don’t always do themselves justice

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Onomah is the midfield equivalent of Joao. But if we could sign him on the cheap (unlikely?) then he’s certainly one to improve and make money on.

Agree, Bruce seems to like him. Still young, one of those types of players someone will take a chance on and sell for £20m in a couple of seasons. 

Personally, I've not seen it yet, but have to trust Bruce knows what he's doing. After all I though the same when he signed Maguire for Hull