Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

The biggest problem with our midfield is, neither Bannan nor Hutchinson are suited to playing in a two. In theory, Hutchinson sits deep, in front of the back four, and we want Bannan playing further forward. This leaves too big a space between the two of them, so consequently, Bannan drops deep so he can be nearer to Hutchinson. This means that we are starting attacks from the edge of our own box. Bannan is capable of hitting a long pass to release the front players, but Fletcher is hardly going to be able to run in behind, even if he reads the pass. If we want just the two in midfield, both Hutchinson and Bannan will be redundant in that set up. We also need more pace and guile up front, to create the movement ahead, that a player like Bannan needs

As a team we tend to play far too deep . Against better sides we get penned in with the only outlet being a long ball. Normally this loses possession.

Bannan doesn’t help this. Because he can’t win the physical battles further up the pitch, he drops deeper and because he is our main link player the team end up deeper.

I am not surprised Bruce appears to be looking to sign some pacy fullbacks who get up and down and carry the ball. This is an easy way to get further up the pitch.

For me we need to go 433. Not 4231.

Without further signings Hutch would play deep in a three. However not like he did under Carlos which was too deep playing footsie with the centre halves. This could also be Morsy.

Bannan and another play in a two in front of Hutch and have to take responsibility for getting us forward. If they drop deep or keep passing it back then we will struggle and this will be a big test for Bannan. Watch Grealish and McGinn at Villa, they always carry the ball or pass forward.

We then need to sort a front 3 from our myriad of options or sell and bring in some alternatives. 

Easy this game!

3 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

We have too many midfielders of similar quality. Forestieri and Bannan in my opinion only 1 should play. What we need is a John Sheridan to thread those passes. For all Bannans huffing and puffing his assist count is fairly low and he tends to dwell on the ball. Reach outscores and assists him. If Lee can comeback in fit then our midfield is far more mobile with Hutchinson mopping up. Speed of movement and thought is what is required. Joa must be at last chance saloon and he needs competition. If we can find a 20 goal pacey forward our prayers would be answered.

If only any of that was true it would be a good point. 

• Haha 1

We get 'penned in' when we have no pacy counter attack outlet, for Bannan (as our only passing CM) to pick out 

For example, look at the games when we had Reach & Boyd as wide players ... Brunt had JJ on the opposite side 

Regardless of individual abilities, we play better when we have at least one of Fernando, Joao, Matias, Aarons 

Anyway, have we signed owt? 

3 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

For all Bannans huffing and puffing his assist count is fairly low and he tends to dwell on the ball. 

Five goals and eleven assists this season. For me that’s very good for a central midfielder. 

Edited by Shezza

2 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

For a player of such talent he really should be getting 10 a season from Central midfield IMO

Why? 

Other than scoring the odd screamer from the edge of the box, his talents clearly don't include finishing.

Enjoy him for what he is, not what you've decided he should be, because if he were that player, he certainly wouldn't be playing for Wednesday in the Championship.

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Why? 

Other than scoring the odd screamer from the edge of the box, his talents clearly don't include finishing.

Enjoy him for what he is, not what you've decided he should be, because if he were that player, he certainly wouldn't be playing for Wednesday in the Championship.

I'm not sure its about his finishing ability, I think its more about him choosing not to get forward enough

9 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Bannan is one of the most coveted players in the Championship and he is ours , but still not good enough for some space cakes on here 

Interestingly how many bids have we had for him. Yes he is a decent player but if we want to up the tempo in attack his tendency to drop back and then dwell on the ball will allow teams to reset defensively as we have seen for the last 3 years. It is not all down to Bannan but to score goals we need to move the ball quicker.

53 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

As a team we tend to play far too deep . Against better sides we get penned in with the only outlet being a long ball. Normally this loses possession.

Bannan doesn’t help this. Because he can’t win the physical battles further up the pitch, he drops deeper and because he is our main link player the team end up deeper.

I am not surprised Bruce appears to be looking to sign some pacy fullbacks who get up and down and carry the ball. This is an easy way to get further up the pitch.

Without further signings Hutch would play deep in a three. However not like he did under Carlos which was too deep playing footsie with the centre halves. This could also be Morsy.

Bannan and another play in a two in front of Hutch and have to take responsibility for getting us forward. If they drop deep or keep passing it back then we will struggle and this will be a big test for Bannan. Watch Grealish and McGinn at Villa, they always carry the ball or pass forward.

We then need to sort a front 3 from our myriad of options or sell and bring in some alternatives. 

Easy this game!

He must be passing forward at some point  to have 14 assists...  Unless he's getting to byline and cutting them back  :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Interestingly how many bids have we had for him. Yes he is a decent player but if we want to up the tempo in attack his tendency to drop back and then dwell on the ball will allow teams to reset defensively as we have seen for the last 3 years. It is not all down to Bannan but to score goals we need to move the ball quicker.

No Idea .........Same as you .

Just now, meggoisgod said:

I'm not sure its about his finishing ability, I think its more about him choosing not to get forward enough

Maybe so.

It could also be that he's carrying out the manager's instructions, or simply doesn't ghost into space beyond the forwards as effortlessly as Lee, for example?

Whatever the reason, he remains one of our best players, capable of winning us games with the quality he possesses.

The fact he's not scoring in double figures is the least of our worries.

52 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Easy this game!

Agreed, I’ve always said, Hutchinson and Bannan cannot play together in a midfield two, for the reasons you suggest. We could go 4-3-3, yes, but the front three need to be able to interchange, and have better movement than they currently possess. Of the existing forwards, only Forestieri, Joao and Reach have the mobility to operate in such a system. I know Reach isn’t technically a forward, but he would be more likely to play in the front three, than in the middle three. There would be no starting place for Fletcher, Nuhiu, Winnall or Rhodes in such a system

34 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Agreed, I’ve always said, Hutchinson and Bannan cannot play together in a midfield two, for the reasons you suggest. We could go 4-3-3, yes, but the front three need to be able to interchange, and have better movement than they currently possess. Of the existing forwards, only Forestieri, Joao and Reach have the mobility to operate in such a system. I know Reach isn’t technically a forward, but he would be more likely to play in the front three, than in the middle three. There would be no starting place for Fletcher, Nuhiu, Winnall or Rhodes in such a system

I think you could start with Fletcher in the middle of a front three like he did for Scotland with willing players running in behind for any flick ons. I would be concerned with Joao in a front three because he appears lazy and reacts slowly to the play around him. he needs to up his work rate to make us more effective up the pitch.