Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

2 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

We have too many midfielders of similar quality. Forestieri and Bannan in my opinion only 1 should play. What we need is a John Sheridan to thread those passes. For all Bannans huffing and puffing his assist count is fairly low and he tends to dwell on the ball. Reach outscores and assists him. If Lee can comeback in fit then our midfield is far more mobile with Hutchinson mopping up. Speed of movement and thought is what is required. Joa must be at last chance saloon and he needs competition. If we can find a 20 goal pacey forward our prayers would be answered.

Agree with most of that, especially the observation about Bannan dwelling too long on the ball. In his defence though, theres rarely much movement ahead of him Yes, the signing of a quick forward to lead the line, will be key

It’s the ability to pose threats from different areas of the pitch we really need to improve.

Look at the impact of Aarons with his injection of pace. It gave us so much more going forwards and, with all due respect, he’s probably not a top Champshionship winger. 

Those sides going up generally have athletic full backs chipping in with a number assists. If we can make small improvements in the full back areas and add in proper wingers to the squad it’ll increase our versatility tenfold. They don’t all have to start all of the time but having the options there will make us much stronger across the season. 

41 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

We have too many midfielders of similar quality. Forestieri and Bannan in my opinion only 1 should play. What we need is a John Sheridan to thread those passes. For all Bannans huffing and puffing his assist count is fairly low and he tends to dwell on the ball. Reach outscores and assists him. If Lee can comeback in fit then our midfield is far more mobile with Hutchinson mopping up. Speed of movement and thought is what is required. Joa must be at last chance saloon and he needs competition. If we can find a 20 goal pacey forward our prayers would be answered.

The main issue with Bannan is that when he plays centrally, he plays way too deep. We need him affecting the game higher up. 

442 doesn’t really allow that unless he plays as he did in Carlos’s first season, as a narrow left sided midfielder. 

Even 4231 restricts him as he inevitably ends up as one of the 2 holding midfielders

I think the standard in the Championship is improving and yet on here, the view is that he heart of a side that hasn’t made it for four years will be good enough to work wonders. Bannan, yes Fessi maybe, Hutch really? Lee - well with him we are looking for a form and fitness miracle. It’s even more dodgy up front with Atty and Lucas,  Rhodes and Fletcher - none of whom will get us the 20 goals or so that we will need to get up. 

Bruce has to break up this side.  It is painful, but many of our players whom we have rightly grown fond of even in defence such as Lees and Palmer are just a level below where the club now needs to be.

Canny loans are the way out of this league - and that is why Bruce might prove to be the canniest signing of all. 

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet

2 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

The main issue with Bannan is that when he plays centrally, he plays way too deep. We need him affecting the game higher up. 

442 doesn’t really allow that unless he plays as he did in Carlos’s first season, as a narrow left sided midfielder. 

Even 4231 restricts him as he inevitably ends up as one of the 2 holding midfielders

Bannan is told to play deep.

He's the player that collects the ball from the CB'S and gets us going. Effectively he's the pivot player, most passes from the CB'S and WB'S are into Bannans feet for him to then start the moves.

Palmer has given our club 8 years of service, made over 200+ appearance and played his part in every single clean sheet he has got.

The second half of the season when the like of Reach and Bannan went missing Palmer was mr consistent. He's not going to supply 10 assists a season or score loads of goals but that's not his job.

His job is to keep it tight at the back so Reach, Bannan, a n other attacking midfielders supply the ammo for Fletcher Joao and Fessi up front.

He is an asset to the club and can play both full back positions, it's a no brainer we resign for at least 2 years.

12 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

The main issue is, he does not score enough goals, he needs to be getting 7-10 goals a season not 1-2. He will never be classed as a top central midfielder without the consistency and is probably why more Premiership teams are not sniffing around.

Edited by room0035

7 minutes ago, MarkS43Owl said:

Bannan is told to play deep.

He's the player that collects the ball from the CB'S and gets us going. Effectively he's the pivot player, most passes from the CB'S and WB'S are into Bannans feet for him to then start the moves.

Yes. But it’s not where to get the best out of him in my opinion. He would score and assist far more if he was stripped of that role and played higher up the pitch.

25 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I have always wondered if Bannan could be used in a role similar to the way Bruce used to use Snodgrass.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Are you on crack? Bannan got more than 10 assists last season and some were absolute beauts like Boro away and Brentford at home. Low assist count my arse!!

31 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Yes. But it’s not where to get the best out of him in my opinion. He would score and assist far more if he was stripped of that role and played higher up the pitch.

Unfortunately we have too many players who don't take responsibility and want to offload to Bannan as soon as possible. Joey for one is always looking for an easy short pass sideways or back, hardly ever forward.

54 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

This^^^^^^ 100%

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Are you on crack? Bannan got more than 10 assists last season and some were absolute beauts like Boro away and Brentford at home. Low assist count my arse!!

Yep people make stuff up to fit there point of view.  It's a good job bruce knows what he is doing and thinks he's key to us. Only have to look how much we miss him when he doesn't play!  E.g qpr  last match 

1 hour ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Bannan was equal 4th in the Championship assist list with 11 assists, Reach was equal 20th with 7 assists.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

Yep people make stuff up to fit there point of view.  It's a good job bruce knows what he is doing and thinks he's key to us. Only have to look how much we miss him when he doesn't play!  E.g qpr  last match 

I agree. I hope Bruce has a word with him about all the unnecessary bookings he has picked up this season that led to this scenario. Imagine the situation had we reached the play-offs and Bannan picked up another booking, say in the first leg of the semi, thus leading to a three match ban.

15 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

To me he’s a David or Bernardo Silva type. Clever, good on the ball, tricky..

Can you imagine Pep using one of those how we use Bannan 

Silva and De Bryne both similar types and both play centrally to be fair. Not as Deep mind.

I just wonder if he is thinking of having him floating on the left a bit more like Carlos used to. 

If Morsy comes in and with Lee coming back maybe an opportunity to try getting him further up the pitch. Even if it's at the top of a diamond midfield.

47 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Ok, so who out of our current crop would you employ in the deep playmaker role?

Bannan is the absolute key to how we play. If you listen to most opposition managers pre-match press conferences the player they mention is Bannan. ''We have to stop Bannan'' 'Bannan is key' etc.

He is integral to our team and makes us 'tick' yes he plays deep but that's because he's the player who gets the ball off the back 4 to get us going.