Iorfa...bought in as a Centre Back?

You need 5 individuals who are capable of defending in a team. With any 3 centre backs we currently have you need 2 solid centre midfielders in front of them who can also defend. The best we currently have are Hutchinson and JP. With one they need to be like a greyhound to stop runners at a 3 and we do not have anyone who could get anywhere near this role. To prop it up you have to have 3 in midfield  Hence you have a 3 -5-2 formation which minimises our attacking thread. 

I think 3 at back does not suit current squad as many of our players style of play does not fit into this formation. Also teams now put 3 forwards against 3 centre backs and this quickly stops playing out from back. Nigeria used this tactic in World Cup and it is extremely effective at disrupting three at back system as soon becomes 5 at back.

Therefore hope we are not thinking of using what is now a well exploited option.

5 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

As mentioned above I thought you can have 5 loan players in a match day squad but could be wrong 

If that case I’d replace reach with onomah 

or put Aaron’s there and play reach full back 

I struggle to see apart from the odd wonder goal reach brings to the the team playing centre mid. I know he was of a few players that offered us a bit of pace up there but no this as been addressed I think reach struggles to get into to starting line up, round pegs 

Guest wilyfox
5 hours ago, darra said:

Not certain that we'll see Onamah back.

Quite soon :picnic:

i suspect Iorfa has been signed to cover either position. Two birds, one 500k stone. 

Why do you think all the managers he’s played under Or reluctant to play him at centre back the reason for this is they do not want to waste the opportunity of a player with peace like that at centre back

I think we bought him to play right back

just told him later down the line you may have opportunity to try centre back just to butter him up a bit to get the deal done

Edited by Owlsend

On 05/02/2019 at 14:40, gurujuan said:

Be hard to leave Palmer out, following recent performances, but it’s a squad game, and we needed another right sided defender. Really don’t understand why we haven’t sent Baker out on loan to get some experience though

Yep, on the whole Palmer has been very good since Jos went, but we'll need to mix it up a bit as there's a little run of games in quick succession coming up.

On 05/02/2019 at 14:40, gurujuan said:

Be hard to leave Palmer out, following recent performances, but it’s a squad game, and we needed another right sided defender. Really don’t understand why we haven’t sent Baker out on loan to get some experience though

Maybe no one wanted him?