BRUCE ON TRANSFER BUSINESS

3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

One of the most reassuring things about Bruce coming in yesterday - was when he put to bed the notion he would let others target players and signings for him. 

uc1Vv505iCyQyS5IzSWSPxMfcT2NLz_P6_W4IU6K

"I would never take a job anywhere unless I had the final say. So all this..nonsense that I've read and this that and the other that the manager doesn't pick them, not under my watch. If that ever happens then I won't be here. So all the

football decisions will be mine. If you're in this industry that has got to be the way. Because if you're gonna fall on the sword then the decisions have got to be yours. 

It was discussed, and really I think...the Chairman wanted someone like myself with a knowledge , who's been in it long enough to identify that we require for example at the minute we have 6 or 7 centre forwards , that's far too many for

everybody, even though it's nice to have. So we'll look at that situation to start with.  But yes. All football decisions will be mine."

It does beg the question, 'Why the hell has it taken the chairman this long to work that out?'.

Did DC and his "advisors" really think that appointing a manager who admitted to having zero prior knowledge of the Championship and its players (to the extent that they hadn't even watched a game!), was a good idea? Especially when you consider it was to be our poo or bust season with regards to FFP

Edited by evaD

Aim:

Promotion in two seasons or poo hits the fan

Method:

Step 1. Sack an over-achieving manager that had been working on an absolute shoe-string, and already knows the players and the division inside-out.

Step 2. Appoint foreign head coach with no experience and little knowledge of the division and/or English football in general (and seemingly no contacts in world football either). But "he interviewed well"

Step 3. Hand £20m+ transfer budget over to various scouting agencies and advisors who definitely don't have a conflict of interests at all

Step 4. Repeat Step 2.

Step 5. ????

Step 6. Embargo

19 minutes ago, evaD said:

Aim:

Promotion in two seasons or poo hits the fan

Method:

Step 1. Sack an over-achieving manager that had been working on an absolute shoe-string, and already knows the players and the division inside-out.

Step 2. Appoint foreign head coach with no experience and little knowledge of the division and/or English football in general (and seemingly no contacts in world football either). But "he interviewed well"

Step 3. Hand £20m+ transfer budget over to various scouting agencies and advisors who definitely don't have a conflict of interests at all

Step 4. Repeat Step 2.

Step 5. ????

Step 6. Embargo

When you put it like that the bonkersness of it all is incredible. 

Bruce did say he 'the chairman is a real character"

Really pleased to hear this.

I think this setup suits us a lot better than what we’ve had in the past.

I think we were caught between the modern structure of the club’s hierarchy choosing players (albeit not too well) and the manager having some sort of say.

If Chansiri is handing all the responsibility to Brucey, then brilliant. I bet that was part of the reason he came, because I suspect most chairmen would expect the manager to have much less control.

Bruce’s experience can go a long way to making up for the lack of experience in our board room. 

Hopefully we tap into it as much as possible and use it to put things in place for the long term too. 

13 hours ago, oldishowl said:

His management was summed up by the first 5 mins of that game.

He left Reach on the bench and started his favourite 4, Bannan, Lee , Hutch and Wallace.

All good players but 3 of them were nowhere near fit , only Bannan, and Wallace lasted less than 5 mins.

Up front he started two injured players, FF and Fletcher and left a fit Winnall, Rhodes etc on the bench. Surprised he didn’t start Hooper in a wheelchair.

We'd be a PL side if he had.lol

14 hours ago, Redfern Froggatt said:

He is still on the scene currently.  I hoped we'd seen the last of him after SB's appointment but he has still been in the directors box for the matches Agnew has been in charge for.  Will be interesting to see whether he is still there now that SB is fully in charge

I can see fireworks there..

12 hours ago, evaD said:

This coach with "no experience and little knowledge of the division" got us to a play off final in his first season and a penalty shootout away from one again in his second. Remind me how we've done since?? Presumably you'd be unhappy with Wagner and Jovanovic if they were our manager as they didn't have experience of the Championship either with the teams they got promoted? Or Bielsa? Norwich's manager too?

We'd all take these scenarios for 2020 and 2021 right now.

Nobody is immune to criticism, but the way some people speak about Carlos on here baffles me.

Edited by Carbone

19 minutes ago, the third man said:

Couldn't agree more, he achieved nothing and left us in the mess we are in now

So a playoff final is nothing, you wouldn't take that now for next season?

We haven't improved our starting eleven since the play off final defeat, maybe with the exception of Reach. Sorry to disappoint you but that's not down to Carlos, it's Mr Chansiri.

Edited by Carbone

17 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

No way do i see Bruce working with Paxo and his cronies at Doyen. 

I sincerely hope he doesn’t give Doyen any consideration.

it’s possible DC now understands that Doyen were just using our club for their own needs and SB is in part here to drive a wedge into the Doyen relationship.

i hope so