1 hour ago, poite said:

He asked him straight questions and got completely muddled, confused and bizarre answers 

Loaded question more like, and totally out of context

31 minutes ago, rawowl said:

I didn’t reallly get the “fans want a new owner I put the club up for sale” comments.

Which is hardly surprising given the way his original comment was 'reported'

It was a hypothetical situation, wasn't it? If the fans think he's making a mess of things then he could always sell and let someone else have a crack

The media, local and national, then 'quoted' him as saying the club was now up for sale - which it clearly never was

The comment was not intended for public consumption

But since the local press were the only ones there to report it, they're largely responsible for the way it was (mis)interpreted

Steve Bruce mentions the chairman's enthusiasm for the job in hand, so DC gets asked how the sale is coming along?

If it were me, I'd have answered in Thai   :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Loaded question more like, and totally out of context

Which is hardly surprising given the way his original comment was 'reported'

It was a hypothetical situation, wasn't it? If the fans think he's making a mess of things then he could always sell and let someone else have a crack

The media, local and national, then 'quoted' him as saying the club was now up for sale - which it clearly never was

The comment was not intended for public consumption

But since the local press were the only ones there to report it, they're largely responsible for the way it was (mis)interpreted

Steve Bruce mentions the chairman's enthusiasm for the job in hand, so DC gets asked how the sale is coming along?

If it were me, I'd have answered in Thai   :mellow:

Something like this?

ไม่ถามคำถามโง่หัวใหญ่

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lee A said:

If it was just a few "silly signings" I don't think anybody would be too bothered. But DC has got almost everything wrong in his time here ( apart from a nice new scoreboard ) and is too stubborn/arrogant to address his own shortcomings.

Crap like club 1867, along with the absurd prices of tickets, replica shirts and his general "like it or lump it" attitude mean he's always going to take pelt from the fans and rightly so.

Personally he frightens me, I think he's way out of his depth,  but hopefully he'll be able to turn it around, getting a proper manager in was a good start. 

Funny that because I don’t recall anyone complaining a5 the time that they were crap signings? Let’s not try and rewrite history with hindsight 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ElsecarOwl said:
1 hour ago, ChinaOwl said:

But that's his biggest downfall as far as I can see. It is almost as though he feels the need to be at the forefront of everything. He would be far wiser, in my opinion, to appoint a strong press officer and/or someone to front the football side of the business. It may be language problems but every time he goes public with written statements, press conferences or fronting forums, he always seems to put his foot into things deeper. PR is certainly not the guy's forte.

Spot on.

I don't doubt DCs passion for the club but he keeps getting hammered for the above reasons.

A knowledgable football minded Press Officer/Liason Officer, who dealt with the press and who was also in touch with fan base.

Look we all know DCs English isn't the best but its far better than our Thai. If you take the time and effort to understand what he is saying, in most instances you will find that what he says is truthful and acceptable and spot on. He is far more understandable, at times, than Giddings. Especially when Giddings starts asking a rambling nebulous question that he forgets what he's on about.

Give Mr C space he'll sort it in the end.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Will probably go down like a led balloon on here, but after listening to yesterday’s conference IMO DC needs to be shown far more respect

Hes made some silly signings, which chairman hasn’t? He seems to be learning from his mistakes, the first 18 months+ were never going to be easy for him: new country, new language, new industry 

The way the media portray us fans to DC, he must feel the most hated person in the city. Always negative questions aimed at him. 

I thought he handled that idiot Giddings perfectly yesterday, made him look like a chump 

He sat in that presser with a proper gangster attitude lol 

• Haha 1

I've said it before, the man clearly cares. He's definitely made mistakes, and I don't think he's immune to criticism - but folk need to get a bit of perspective and draw a line under some of it. 

Fair play to him though. A lot of us were wondering what he was doing to correct the situation with Jos, alot of us (including me) wondered if he was allowing us to plod on without much of a plan. When all a long he'd been speaking to Bruce. 

Bruce said something yesterday to Giddings about him - "He might be a bit off the wall a bit, but he cares" something along those lines. This is true. 

I do think he needs help when it comes to his public speaking. I know English isn't his first language, so it must be extremely difficult for him to get his feelings and message across. Some fans and media are very quick to  misquote or misunderstand what has been said (i think on purpose at times). I think he should use Katrien in front of the media more often, she speaks well and I think she'll communicate much clearer.  It might prevent some of the non-story headlines and meltdowns.  

• Like 1

The problem for a few years has been foreign owner (different culture) and foreign managers (different cultures).

They can all speak English but none were experts and could easily be mis quoted/ mis interpreted etc.

At times Radio Sheffield would go down a line of questioning based on literal answers when you kind of had an idea

the chairman and managers weren’t understanding the context of their replies making communication open to interpretation.

Bruce is English, very experienced and knows the English football culture well.

Over the next few months he’ll be able to fully explain the financial situation, contract situations and injury situations.

The veil of secrecy, Chinese whispers and conspiracy theories should be very minimal.

Not sure how Owlstalk will cope with the relative clarity?

Edited by sheffsteel

Wish someone would explain on owlstalk whats going to happen financially to the club.  If anyone actually knows.  After what happened before Milan got here we SHOULD be asking questions and we should be slightly concerned.  Unless Bruce is a wizz on the transfer market and knows how to get our house in order financially we should be asking questions.  Unless we are going to continue to muddle through it and see what happens.  That is a little concerning.  It doesn't even look like it's worrying DC.  So definatly the jury is still out on him. 

Up to now we had a blast under his time in the first 2 seasons, the Brighton and Hudds matches and a great pissup in London.  But apart that nothing to show for it, apart from becomming the old folks home of football clubs, ruining the careers of a couple of players and I still have no idea why we don't sell players like every other club.

He's backed himself into a cul de sac and luckily found a ticket out of it with Bruce.  If it all comes together who knows where we can go but lets stay calm eh.

2 hours ago, Lee A said:

If it was just a few "silly signings" I don't think anybody would be too bothered. But DC has got almost everything wrong in his time here ( apart from a nice new scoreboard ) and is too stubborn/arrogant to address his own shortcomings.

Crap like club 1867, along with the absurd prices of tickets, replica shirts and his general "like it or lump it" attitude mean he's always going to take pelt from the fans and rightly so.

Personally he frightens me, I think he's way out of his depth,  but hopefully he'll be able to turn it around, getting a proper manager in was a good start. 

Let’s not even mention the fact that he took us to within 90 mins of the Premiership, also the fantastic occasions that the fans experienced that season like the Brighton game, the Arsenal game and of course the trip to Wembley, all occasions that will live long in the memory for many a fan, especially the youngsters who will never have witnessed atmospheres like that before.