February 1st

I think there is something significant in the fact that Bruce is due to start on February 1st (a Friday) rather than 29 or 30 January when he'll be in the UK and presumably will be wanting to prepare the team.

Still think there is something in his pay off from Villa that means he can't take another Championship job before the end of the transfer window.

I think he’s been told no point in starting and enjoy your break, we can’t or don’t seem to be able to spend anything anyway and we’ve picked up points and not yet staring relagation in the face. 

IMO I think he brief would be: 

1: This season a salvage mission, keep us up and then rebuild, money will become available whenever the new financial years etc becomes valid and we can spend again. (Assuming we will) 

Look at the youth and promote where possible for now until this time. Basically get through the season. 

2: Stablise the team and any fractions within,  Advise which players to let go and which to keep. Expect the summer to have a lot of departures. This is why I think no one will leave.... yet. Bruce will want to have a good look. It’s vital Hooper comes back and FF stay fit if they value their future at SWFC. 

Indoubt bruce will put up with a constantly full medical room. 

3: He brief must have included a promotion chase, I doubt DC would expect that this season so use the time to prepare for next. 

14 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

I think there is something significant in the fact that Bruce is due to start on February 1st (a Friday) rather than 29 or 30 January when he'll be in the UK and presumably will be wanting to prepare the team.

Still think there is something in his pay off from Villa that means he can't take another Championship job before the end of the transfer window.

Or maybe it really is as simple as the fact that he had his holiday and recovery schedule planned and booked well in advance, we approached him before Christmas and he said he'd take the job but due to family commitments he couldn't start until February 1st and we were prepared to wait. He wouldn't have accepted the job and then booked his holiday.

5 minutes ago, Spencerowl said:

money will become available whenever the new financial years etc becomes valid and we can spend again. (Assuming we will)

As things stand this appears to be highly unlikely.

23 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

Does it matter?

15 minutes ago, Spencerowl said:

I think he’s been told no point in starting and enjoy your break, we can’t or don’t seem to be able to spend anything anyway and we’ve picked up points and not yet staring relagation in the face. 

IMO I think he brief would be: 

1: This season a salvage mission, keep us up and then rebuild, money will become available whenever the new financial years etc becomes valid and we can spend again. (Assuming we will) 

Look at the youth and promote where possible for now until this time. Basically get through the season. 

2: Stablise the team and any fractions within,  Advise which players to let go and which to keep. Expect the summer to have a lot of departures. This is why I think no one will leave.... yet. Bruce will want to have a good look. It’s vital Hooper comes back and FF stay fit if they value their future at SWFC. 

Indoubt bruce will put up with a constantly full medical room. 

3: He brief must have included a promotion chase, I doubt DC would expect that this season so use the time to prepare for next. 

A nice idea, but I think we’ve seen, not many of the youngsters are yet ready to play at this level What we really should have done, is sent them out on loan to league one sides

From that Telegraph article today:

It is also understood that Bruce was unable to begin a new job because of the terms of his severance package from Aston Villa. He had not intended to even look for work, but was approached by Wednesday before Christmas and was persuaded to accept their offer by owner Dejphon Chansiri.

Told y'all 

Wouldn't surprise me, most severence agreements include a restrictive covenant. Presumably designed to protect Villa during the subsequent transfer window.

Officially he'll start on the first, but assume he'll be in the building working in the background.

On 28/01/2019 at 10:09, beloved_aunt said:

There's a newspaper interview in one of the other threads, which while he Dosent really explain the situation in any real detail, he touches on 3 point, the loss of his parents, the fact he's just had two surgeries, so needed to rest/recuperate anyway and the third was a mention of not been able to start straight away due to some stipulation wdue to villa, as I said was very vague and didn't really elaborate too much on any of those points bud. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

Aston Villa have sack him then prevented him from taking another job, it possibly will be the first time I have even heard this happening but everyone like a conspiracy.

Or it could simply be he has had an operation and the doctor has signed him off work until the 1st February, if the operation was anything to do with nerves or the head then this is very common.

Look at the teams we play in February in could be a good easy month for him and if he starts with 4 or 5 wins it will be a lot better for him than a few losses.

10 minutes ago, Jimothy said:

Wouldn't a clause that stops him taking a new job until 1st Feb also apply to the backroom team sacked with him? I'm assuming they were with him at villa... 

Backroom staff will be treated differently to a manager, including how much payoff they get. Depends what was in the contract they signed .

On 29/01/2019 at 13:37, room0035 said:

Aston Villa have sack him then prevented him from taking another job, it possibly will be the first time I have even heard this happening but everyone like a conspiracy.

Happens all the time.  Basically, unless a deal is reached a manager can sit tight and keep earning til the end of his contract.  To avoid this, clubs tend to offer them a severance package to go immeidately but often this has strings attached about taking other jobs or more often ever speaking about why they were sacked.  Mourinho is currently not allowed to talk about specifics behind the scenes at OT and when we got rid of Megson same thing happened.

Most high profile current example is Conte.  Chelsea and him couldn't agree an exit package so he's still being paid by the club up until the end of the season.  If he were to go earlier he'd have to forego all that money.  When Real approached him he asked them to cover it and they wouldn't which is why he's still there.

I'm sure Brendan Rodgers' pay off also meant he couldn't take another job in England for X amount of years and there were the issues with Silva when he left Watford.