Alex Bruce Tweet

The way Murphy came across like he was doing us Wednesday fans a favour by saying we weren’t supportive of the decision was an absolute joke. We’re all fully behind the decency both the club have shown in allowing him the time and Bruce has shown honouring his word to the family. Pipe down Danny lad 

For the first time ever I have made a complaint to the BBC, as I was livid at the time, and have subsequently read Alex Bruce's tweet.  And yes I have got my knickers in a twist, and rightly so, think Bruce and his family deserve an apology.

• Like 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

Just written to BBC

Dear BBC sport

I watched your coverage of Chelsea v Sheffield Wednesday yesterday 29th January 2019 and thought it was appropriate to express my views. First of all, I found a complete lack of knowledge from the pundits involved in the game, namely Ruud Gullit and Danny Murphy who appeared to have an ambivalence towards championship football that came across as completely disrespectful to all the football league and showed that they literally had done zero preparation for the match. The topic turned from Chelsea to Sheffield Wednesday and in particular, Steve Bruce who has taken a managers job at Wednesday but will not begin the role until February. The comments from Ruud Gullit and Danny Murphy were nothing short of shocking. They clearly had no idea of the situation, slating the man for taking a break from football, completely misjudging the position and thoughts of Sheffield Wednesday fans and actually making themselves look quite ridiculous. The fact that Steve has lost both parents, lost his job and had illness of his own to contend with in the last 6 months, something that all Wednesday fans know and understand, didn’t come into the conversation. Instead bulldozer opinions for two ‘in the know’ football pundits slated Bruce for holidaying in the sunshine.

Now if this isn’t bad enough, why not as the BBC, employ a former footballer that just generally can’t be arsed! That’s right someone who really doesn’t care about 'non premier league' football, who sounds really bored, who can’t be arsed to research anything about the club he’s watching and preferably make dull jokes about it all through the match. I recommend maybe Mark Lawrenson to fulfil that job description. He clearly is not interested in lower league football, knows nothing about it and sounds like he’d rather be anywhere else. Perfect.

I used to wish that there was more football on terrestrial TV and was quite annoyed with Sky, BT Sports taking most of the action away but actually, coverage like yesterday just shows that the BBC don’t actually deserve to have any football. Shocking disregard for league football and ill researched punditry would never happen on Sky, honestly it was terrible. I would recommend some pundits that know the teams they are supposed to be commenting on and persons who are passionate about football, both alarmingly lacking yesterday from Ruud Gullit, Danny Murphy and Mark Lawrenson. I would comment about Alex Scott, however she hardly got a word in with the other two talking over her, again, not the BBC’s finest moments. And to think the BBC is the reason we all pay a TV licence, Wow.

Yours Sincerely

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, briggowl said:

Just written to BBC

Dear BBC sport

I watched your coverage of Chelsea v Sheffield Wednesday yesterday 29th January 2019 and thought it was appropriate to express my views. First of all, I found a complete lack of knowledge from the pundits involved in the game, namely Ruud Gullit and Danny Murphy who appeared to have an ambivalence towards championship football that came across as completely disrespectful to all the football league and showed that they literally had done zero preparation for the match. The topic turned from Chelsea to Sheffield Wednesday and in particular, Steve Bruce who has taken a managers job at Wednesday but will not begin the role until February. The comments from Ruud Gullit and Danny Murphy were nothing short of shocking. They clearly had no idea of the situation, slating the man for taking a break from football, completely misjudging the position and thoughts of Sheffield Wednesday fans and actually making themselves look quite ridiculous. The fact that Steve has lost both parents, lost his job and had illness of his own to contend with in the last 6 months, something that all Wednesday fans know and understand, didn’t come into the conversation. Instead bulldozer opinions for two ‘in the know’ football pundits slated Bruce for holidaying in the sunshine.

Now if this isn’t bad enough, why not as the BBC, employ a former footballer that just generally can’t be arsed! That’s right someone who really doesn’t care about 'non premier league' football, who sounds really bored, who can’t be arsed to research anything about the club he’s watching and preferably make dull jokes about it all through the match. I recommend maybe Mark Lawrenson to fulfil that job description. He clearly is not interested in lower league football, knows nothing about it and sounds like he’d rather be anywhere else. Perfect.

I used to wish that there was more football on terrestrial TV and was quite annoyed with Sky, BT Sports taking most of the action away but actually, coverage like yesterday just shows that the BBC don’t actually deserve to have any football. Shocking disregard for league football and ill researched punditry would never happen on Sky, honestly it was terrible. I would recommend some pundits that know the teams they are supposed to be commenting on and persons who are passionate about football, both alarmingly lacking yesterday from Ruud Gullit, Danny Murphy and Mark Lawrenson. I would comment about Alex Scott, however she hardly got a word in with the other two talking over her, again, not the BBC’s finest moments. And to think the BBC is the reason we all pay a TV licence, Wow.

Yours Sincerely

To be honest they are always spot on when football focus does the FA cup live from smaller teams.  And Dan Walker looks like he's knowledgable and has done his research.  Those two clowns just looked like they rocked up and told who Chelsea were playing 10 minutes before.

I have been a huge critic of Sky over the years for how football has gone and also their links to the Sun. However, there’s no denying the fact that they show a infinite more amount of respect to clubs outside of the premier league.

Everything about last night stunk of laziness. Why the subject of Bruce not starting yet even needed to be brought up was beyond me but as people have said, to not bother researching it (Alex Scott aside) was disgraceful.

Also the Sheff Utd comment from Murphy just total amateur. Screams, I know fizz all apart from seen he used to manage their local rivals. To put this into context, it was one season over 20 years ago. We’ve never even given him stock about it as a visiting manager so why we would that be a deal breaker?

Furthermore, why have that panel? Surely if there’s 3 you have a link with both teams plus a neutral. Ideally Waddle should have been there but alternatively why not anyone with even the remotest link, even if they played 10 mins on loan, anyone at all but Danny Murphy??

Lastly, how is Lawrenson still in that job? Just terrible.

I think they were ill informed and should not have made those comments and it's totally understandable why Alex is upset by it. 

However, I have to call two facedness when I see it. At least three posters in this thread and probably more have been involved in threads on here that have had to be taken down because of personal attacks particularly towards our chairman. Vindictive offensive personal attacks. I'll informed attacks. Now on here slagging these two cretins off for something they themselves have done and much worse might I add. 

Sorry, if I see bullsh1t I call bullsh1t. 

• Thanks 1

Well, it's hit pretty much all the major news outlets. 

It was just a really sh*tty thing to say and they're rightly getting pelters for it. Had nothing to do with analysis and was an ill informed swipe born out of ignorance. 

By all accounts, Bruce is very well thought of within the football community, so I'd imagine these remarks irked quite a few.