Jump to content


Plonk

You’re not Chelsea anymore

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, flo said:

I bet if Chelsea were at Hillsborough they would be louder than us. 

it would be interesting if their 'proper' support turned out for away games, or just the 'newer' type of 'supporter' is all they have now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


16 hours ago, torres said:

 

We used to have successful steel industry, we used to just have 4 channels on the telly, we used to have to go to the shops to buy things...... the world moves on and so does football 

 

Wednesday are left in the dark ages and we paying extortionate amounts to be stuck in the past. 

 

 

not all modernisation is progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, torres said:

 

We get crackled horrific music that no ones heard of or likes 

 

We get 2 idiots dressed in owl costumes 

 

We get local kids to wave flags before players come out 

 

We have a ground that’s 25 years out of date - that’s usually less than half full 

 

We get to watch slow, old, unfit players who are on ridiculously high wages for what they do.

 

We have to pay the most in the league to see dull football 

 

I bet the Chelsea fans would swap with us in an instant 

thought it was only me that hadn't heard that shyte before.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dnhc said:

it would be interesting if their 'proper' support turned out for away games, or just the 'newer' type of 'supporter' is all they have now.

 

Would they 'proper' support get tickets for away games anymore, expect they have a priority system like us and you have to be a home season ticket holder to stand any chance of getting a ticket? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

 

Would they 'proper' support get tickets for away games anymore, expect they have a priority system like us and you have to be a home season ticket holder to stand any chance of getting a ticket? 

i'm not sure their 'prawn sandwich and couscous' brigade would have wanted to venture out of the capital so far up north in case they caught something, or couldn't fine their way north of the m25..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, torres said:

 

You are judging their support on a game against a club a league below who are nothing to them in a competition that means nothing anymore 

 

The Luton fans would have thought we were a disgrace - at least Chelsea flogged a few tickets 

 

Saying they don’t enjoy going to the games is ridiculous. 

Where did I say they don’t enjoy going to games? I look at their little smiley faces taking pictures of anyone taking a corner. I love how they celebrate a goal by raising their phones and snapping away merrily at the players going through their pre rehearsed dance routines. 

 

What II ( as in me) said was I wouldn’t swap with them. 

 

Not saying they arent miles miles better than us a team. They clearly are, but that’s what Russian billions gets you.

 

My argument throughout this thread has been that I don’t like the whole Disneyland tourist attraction that the top end of the prem has become. 

Edited by Plonk
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Where did I say they don’t enjoy going to games? I look at their little smiley faces taking pictures of anyone taking a corner. I love how they celebrate a goal by raising their phones and snapping away merrily at the players going through their pre rehearsed dance routines. 

 

What II ( as in me) said was I wouldn’t swap with them. 

 

Not saying they arent miles miles better than us a team. They clearly are, but that’s what Russian billions gets you.

 

My argument throughout this thread has been that I don’t like the whole Disneyland tourist attraction that the top end of the prem has become. 

 

It's a tiny part of it when you get success and something that your every day supporter can't stand.

 

They will, like us, have a hardcore of supporters probably 15-20k for them who just do the normal matchday things.

 

Meet up with mates/family, have a few drinks, watch the match - don't think about taking a photo or buying anything from the shop.

 

Did you go to wembley? We had 25 thousand of them  - purely there for the day out. It's just what it is i'm afraid.

 

There were probably more at Sunday's game because they really didn't care two jots about the game.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand people having a go that much at Chelsea and being morally superior because we support Wednesday and we would never become 'soulless' as them and we have kept out identity.

Maybe not gone as far as Chelsea have or other top Premier Clubs but Wednesday have gone pretty far down that road IMO.

Edited by matthefish2002

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dnhc said:

it would be interesting if their 'proper' support turned out for away games, or just the 'newer' type of 'supporter' is all they have now.

 

They have an excellent hard core of support.

 

Pretty much like us. 

 

The difference being they have more hangers on now that want to attend the games 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

I don't understand people having a go that much at Chelsea and being morally superior because we support Wednesday and we would never become 'soulless' as them and we have kept out identity.

Maybe not gone as far as Chelsea have or other top Premier Clubs but Wednesday have gone pretty far down that road IMO.

 

We just do it very poorly 

 

It was razzmataz on Sunday but they did it well. (do i like it? No, but if you are going to do it do it well)

 

We'd have a few sparklers and a couple of fat kids waving a scraggy flag 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really makes me laugh, seen quite a few posts on here and social media about how they wouldn't swap places, give me the championship every week etc etc, what a load of nonsense! 

 

If you don't want the premier league 'experience', switch to supporting Hallam FC, much cheaper prices, no priority points required for an away game, and it's a regional league so you don't have to spend a month's wages on a pint in that London. 

 

I want to see Sheffield Wednesday playing against the best teams, and hopefully beat them now and again, like we used to frequently in the 90s. All this "i'd rather stay in the championship" is laughable. Those tuesday night games at home to the likes of Bolton and Millwall really get the juices flowing!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Mole said:

It really makes me laugh, seen quite a few posts on here and social media about how they wouldn't swap places, give me the championship every week etc etc, what a load of nonsense! 

 

If you don't want the premier league 'experience', switch to supporting Hallam FC, much cheaper prices, no priority points required for an away game, and it's a regional league so you don't have to spend a month's wages on a pint in that London. 

 

I want to see Sheffield Wednesday playing against the best teams, and hopefully beat them now and again, like we used to frequently in the 90s. All this "i'd rather stay in the championship" is laughable. Those tuesday night games at home to the likes of Bolton and Millwall really get the juices flowing!!

Think you’re missing the point mole. Of course we want to be in the prem and beating the best teams. Yes I would rather us play Man U on a Tuesday in front of a full house than Bolton in front of 18 k hard core. Who wouldn’t. And tbh a large part of the prem, still play in proper stadia with proper fans, without all the fireworks, photos and half and half scarves ( don’t get me started on that). Wouldn’t mind that at all. My whole point is that football has become tourist attraction at the biggest clubs, and me personally I can’t stand it. On the odd occasion I won’t have motd it does my head in seeing a crowd full of camera waving tourists “ celebrating” a goal.  

 

I know its where here we are, but I’m getting old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, torres said:

 

They have an excellent hard core of support.

 

Pretty much like us. 

 

The difference being they have more hangers on now that want to attend the games 

yes I remember well the 'upturn in support' when 'big jack' started to turn things around.

'wednesday till I die' or in that case 'wednesday till we hit a rough patch'.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mole said:

It really makes me laugh, seen quite a few posts on here and social media about how they wouldn't swap places, give me the championship every week etc etc, what a load of nonsense! 

 

If you don't want the premier league 'experience', switch to supporting Hallam FC, much cheaper prices, no priority points required for an away game, and it's a regional league so you don't have to spend a month's wages on a pint in that London. 

 

I want to see Sheffield Wednesday playing against the best teams, and hopefully beat them now and again, like we used to frequently in the 90s. All this "i'd rather stay in the championship" is laughable. Those tuesday night games at home to the likes of Bolton and Millwall really get the juices flowing!!

Why would I (or anyone) switch to supporting Hallam? I'm/we are Wednesday fans, always have been always will be, besides which I've had 19 years of not having the "Premier League experience" watching Wednesday,  I don't need to support Hallam to get that.

I personally would follow Wednesday whether that be in the PL, Championship, League 1 or Meadowhall Sunday League.

 

I think what most people are saying they don't like is difference between the PL when we left it and now, obviously most  (if not all) would rather watch us in the PL but would rather our club keep its identity and not become something completely different to what it was 25 years ago.

Unfortunately times change and our club already isn't what it what used to be, but the metamorphing progress is much slower than at the top PL clubs.

The Chelsea of 25 years since and the Chelsea of today are unrecognisable, the football is much better but not all the changes are for the better in my and many others opinions.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sky and the Premier league have to perpetuate the myth that it is the best league in the world so that people will buy into it and that takes money and lots of it. So the premier league make sure the top teams get lots of it. Thing is, is it really the best in the world many pundits are saying not really any more? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/01/2019 at 09:51, matthefish2002 said:

 

Shocking!!! lol

There's just no need for it

 

lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×