You’re not Chelsea anymore

59 minutes ago, Plonk said:

I’m with you on this one pal. I didn’t leave Chelsea last feeling anything but “ thankfuck we aren’t like that”It was like Disneyland. So false. I don’t even like the bloody flags the kids wave when we come out at Hillsboro, so all that testicles with switching the lights for a pyrotechnic show and them daft twats dressed as lions dancing about. 

I guess im just getting old but that’s not what I go to the football for. 

We get crackled horrific music that no ones heard of or likes 

We get 2 idiots dressed in owl costumes 

We get local kids to wave flags before players come out 

We have a ground that’s 25 years out of date - that’s usually less than half full 

We get to watch slow, old, unfit players who are on ridiculously high wages for what they do.

We have to pay the most in the league to see dull football 

I bet the Chelsea fans would swap with us in an instant 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, torres said:

We have a ground that’s 25 years out of date - that’s usually less than half full 

We get to watch slow, old, unfit players who are on ridiculously high wages for what they do.

1. True

2. True

3. True

4.true

5. True

6. True

would they swap with us. No chance. Would I swap with them? Absolutely no way. 

I enjoyed that game a damn sight more than them. I think I probably enjoy my days watching wednesday  a damn site more than them. And we lose all the time. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, torres said:

Rules are still the same, it’s just economic changes. 

We spent millions more than Huddersfield, we blew it, they are getting the financial rewards now 

Football on a whole has never been better 

Maybe I'm an old dinasour but can't agree it's better. As others have said it's ruled by media giants who decide when where and what time games are played. No thought was given yesterday as to how fans were going to get back. Thankfully east midlands trains stepped in. I've stopped watching the premier league as its more stop start than the NFL at times. Player runs next to player who goes for the ball player with ball falls down and rolls over several times as if there's a sniper in the stands. Prefer the days when players like Hunter and Bremner would go in hard and then 10 minutes later somebody would do the same and handshakes were exchanged at the end of the game

3 minutes ago, Plonk said:

1. True

2. True

3. True

4.true

5. True

6. True

would they swap with us. No chance. Would I swap with them? Absolutely no way. 

I enjoyed that game a damn sight more than them. I think I probably enjoy my days watching wednesday  a damn site more than them. And we lose all the time. 

You are judging their support on a game against a club a league below who are nothing to them in a competition that means nothing anymore 

The Luton fans would have thought we were a disgrace - at least Chelsea flogged a few tickets 

Saying they don’t enjoy going to the games is ridiculous. 

14 minutes ago, torres said:

Depends. Worked with a Man City fan. Asked him how he felt a few years ago when they won the league. He said he wasn't sure. He said he felt a bit out of it.  The club had supported as a boy was owned by a foreign owner played by foreign players and watched by people who were there for the free corporate goodies. Watch the cup final this year. The corporate area by the half way line will be half empty at the start of the 2nd half as half the punters will still be knecking the free stuff. Some probably won't bother watching the 2nd half at all

5 minutes ago, darra said:

Depends. Worked with a Man City fan. Asked him how he felt a few years ago when they won the league. He said he wasn't sure. He said he felt a bit out of it.  The club had supported as a boy was owned by a foreign owner played by foreign players and watched by people who were there for the free corporate goodies. Watch the cup final this year. The corporate area by the half way line will be half empty at the start of the 2nd half as half the punters will still be knecking the free stuff. Some probably won't bother watching the 2nd half at all

I hated their ground. It was a soulless place compared to Maine Road.

The corporate bunch just come along while things are rosey and to be fair if you were going to pick a team to watch your probably pick them 

Although in terms of hangers on when things are going ok, we have more than our fair share. 

19 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

We used to be nervous about visiting Chelsea. An excitement mixed with fear. I was more intimidated in fkng Tesco Express by the ‘locals’ yesterday.

You didn’t try and get a pint at the Chelsea Pensioner did you......wall to wall 80’s “Shed Boys” and looked a little more intimidating than Tesco’s to me.

2 hours ago, stevewhiterose said:

That's true. When watching these matches on TV (especially London matches) theres always loads of Japanese tourists, who look like they've just bought every ***** item in the club shop and decided to wear it all.

When I saw half and half scarves a little bit of me died inside.

3 hours ago, torres said:

Rules are still the same, it’s just economic changes. 

We spent millions more than Huddersfield, we blew it, they are getting the financial rewards now 

Football on a whole has never been better 

Why is it everything you post is negative and anti Wednesday?

And then to top it off..... football has never been better lol...... what little credibility you had just went out of the window with that 

23 hours ago, Plonk said:

best song of the day. What the cook has happened to football. That’s all

Look at the population of London, its hardly a hotbed of what would be considered your typical British football fan. 

Couple that with the cost of following a Premier League club. 

The lack of atmosphere shouldnt be a shock. 

13 minutes ago, wakefieldowl said:

Why is it everything you post is negative and anti Wednesday?

And then to top it off..... football has never been better lol...... what little credibility you had just went out of the window with that 

It’s not anti Wednesday at all, it’s just the truth.

All this pretending that we don’t want to be in Chelsea’s position is just plain ridiculous 

So why isn’t football better now?

43 minutes ago, torres said:

It’s not anti Wednesday at all, it’s just the truth.

All this pretending that we don’t want to be in Chelsea’s position is just plain ridiculous 

So why isn’t football better now?

Well its getting less and less of a contact sport for one. A couple of years or so ago Dermot Gallagher watched the infamous Leeds Chelsea cup final and replay. He said that under todays rules the games would have had so many bookings and sending offs it would have been in danger of being abandoned

9 minutes ago, darra said:

Well its getting less and less of a contact sport for one. A couple of years or so ago Dermot Gallagher watched the infamous Leeds Chelsea cup final and replay. He said that under todays rules the games would have had so many bookings and sending offs it would have been in danger of being abandoned

I’m too young for that era but I know the game you mean and you honestly thought that was better?

I don’t want to lose the physical side but that was just a  kickathon 

On BT they sometimes show highlights of late 70’s early 80’s and it’s a bit laughable at times 

Watching current teams like Man City, Liverpool, spurs etc or Sunday league style old school football has no comparison in my opinion. 

Its that era that left England miles behind the rest of the world for so long. 

9 minutes ago, torres said:

I’m too young for that era but I know the game you mean and you honestly thought that was better?

On BT they sometimes show highlights of late 70’s early 80’s and it’s a bit laughable at times 

Watching current teams like Man City, Liverpool, spurs etc or Sunday league style old school football has no comparison in my opinion. 

Get your point and maybe a halfway house would be better. Watched some highlights the other day of a premier league game can't remember who was playing. Anyway, one of the players got tackled nothing more than a slight nudge. He hit the deck and must've rolled over 6 or 7 times. that's what I don't want to see.

42 minutes ago, torres said:

I think the actual football is better today, watching the Chelsea players was (although painful as a Wednesdayite) quite enjoyable, great touch, control, movement, pace, even when they didn’t have the ball they won it back (or were given it back) so quickly the difference in quality was huge.

It's about more than that now, the pricing, the feeling of everything being leaned towards the bigger clubs, ie them being made bigger, while the rest are made to struggle or even go bust without a blink of an eye from the big boys or even worse the PL in general.

The feeling that it's now more a business than a sport, PL and Sky TV running the game, the lessening of importance of both Cup  competitions but especially the once magical FA Cup.

Sitting in all seater sterile grounds with no atmosphere from any home fans other than on the biggest games, the camaraderie isn't there anymore, the feeling of all being in it together all pulling in the same direction, the skill, touch, and fitness are better than ever before, but that doesn't mean seeing your player win a 50/50 or even 40/60 challenge should be taken away that has always been part of the game too and got the fans going.

Plenty of things I miss regular Saturday 3pm kick offs, physical contact (without a foul or a dive ensuing) a contested drop ball, continued replays in the Cup, the whole build up to the match on Cup Final, the old football smell, the old atmosphere but most of all just being able to turn up at the ground pay a reasonable sum and go into the ground and find the same faces stood in the same usual place.

To me Sky TV and Money are killing the game, when the bubble does inevitably burst, they'll be looking at us and the many working class fans they've already lost to help em out. Rant over UTO

Edited by OWL1969
  • Like 1

Sky TV and money isn't what's killing the game.  It's the way it's distributed that I think is wrong.

Nearly all Sky money goes to the Premier LGE but it's the top clubs, Inc Wednesday and United who broke from the other 72 football League clubs with the express intention of brokering their own TV deal.

So in a way it serves us right.  I've more sympathy with clubs like Hartlepool, Aldershot, Halifax etc.  They'll never have centre forwards on a reputed 32k a week, or a £10m striker out on loan.  They see very little TV money.

Blame the TV fans. They'll watch Man U, Chelsea, Spurs etc but won't switch on for Wigan v Bolton.  

I'd like to see parachute payments stopped.  We can't compete financially with the clubs who come down.