You’re not Chelsea anymore

34 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

From the away end I heard them once all game. For a ground that’s supposed to be intimidating and a fanbase that’s supposed to be large and passionate, I thought they were pathetic.

These days many PL supporters go for the spectacle, entertainment and sense of occasion, like going to the theatre.

For most Chelsea fans this was a nothing game that they knew they’d win. Hence the lack of enthusiasm. 

Many people have been brainwashed that if it’s not the PL then it’s sub standard and not proper football.

Edited by sheffsteel

Cup game. We are nothing to them. Sunday evening. Easy win. 

What did people expect? We were quiet as a mouse against Luton in the last round. We are quiet for a lot of home games too. 

We don’t mean anything to a club like Chelsea. They’ve entered a different footballing universe since we last met 20 years ago. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Cup game. We are nothing to them. Sunday evening. Easy win. 

What did people expect? We were quiet as a mouse against Luton in the last round. We are quiet for a lot of home games too. 

We don’t mean anything to a club like Chelsea. They’ve entered a different footballing universe since we last met 20 years ago. 

So true and so sad too

12 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

See, I told you Stubbs. Not Chelsea anymore.

They can play blue is the colour but it means nothing.

You know snoots.  Not just about the lack of atmosphere in the ground. It’s about the smell of pizza the wine bars the lack of, well, anything like football. No pointing no banter no acknowledgement there were any opposyfans in the stadium. It was just cookie sterilr

I watched the youth cup semi a couple of years back,our lads were good,but chelseas kids were huge in every sense,they just cut us down and overpowered us,our lads looked like a bunch of 12 year olds,and that gulf between us both runs right through their club,all built by a certain russian billionaire of course,but you can see how sound investment right through the club has taken them to the highest level.

3 hours ago, Animis said:

look at their fixture list just gone and forthcoming.

Wednesday are simply a friendly game in all this.

We are not a big draw or rivalry to them anymore - it's not 1991.

Still over 37k there though. Are you saying they are too tired to sing because of a heavy fixture list? They are the same week in and week out. Crap vocal support, simple.

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

You know snoots.  Not just about the lack of atmosphere in the ground. It’s about the smell of pizza the wine bars the lack of, well, anything like football. No pointing no banter no acknowledgement there were any opposyfans in the stadium. It was just cookie sterilr

It wasn't just in the ground, outside both before and after you could just hear Wednesday fans, young teens giving it the big un at Chelsea.

I don't think they're old enough to remember when you went there in fear and if you were mouthing outside the ground, well it wouldn't be a pretty sight afterwards.

Not condoning violence but the change over the last 25 years is incredible, both in the "feel" inside and outside the ground and in the home atmosphere.

I acknowledge it's changed everywhere and like the Luton match to us, this was a very unappealing match to them, but even so it just didn't feel like a visit to Chelsea used to feel.

I was sitting in a rather swanky restaurant eating a Big Mac & Fries, there were some Chelski fans there who were talking about the game, but they weren’t fussed. 

Knew they’d win. Knew their players would be rotated. Just a late game against a mid level champ club. 

When we got that penalty, I knew it would be what we needed.... only for that poopydoo to VAR it :angry: woulda coulda shoulda changed everything 

11 hours ago, Plonk said:

best song of the day. What the cook has happened to football. That’s all

you'd be surprised how many Chelsea fans agree and miss the 'real game'

they go along for the ride as would we, but a squad like they have with at some time 40 players out on loan it'd football but not as we will ever know it  

Was texting my Spurs fan mate after they’d got beaten in the afternoon and then later after our inevitable capitulation.

Now he’s a top lad but his comments made me realise how supporters of the elite PL clubs are so out of touch with how it is for anyone who isn’t. 

He said as supporters we were both hoping for better times ??

They were ‘ struggling ‘ cos of injuries and had no money ??

Makes you laugh, doesn’t it ?

No Harry and no Dele so they’re struggling.

Having to constantly hover in the top half of the PL year after year makes you yearn for ‘ better times ‘

Obviously an 18 year spell in the lower leagues would be a reality check but that ain’t ever going to happen.

There’s just no comparison to our own supporting experience.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, goonan8 said:

Yes but if we had the players they had and were near the top of the prem, I’d like to think we would make more noise than they did. It was like a morgue.

It was a reserve team for them,would you think twice about going if you was going to see the reserves let alone sing?

The money they’ve got makes it like going to the cinema. 

It was the same when we went to Man City. 

I think they even sold pop corn. 

We have to be fair to Chelsea fans, they’ve beaten a team who had about a 10% chance of winning - I’m happy that at least they turned up - and they’d probably make a bit more noise if they were playing Spurs etc.