Our Complete Lack Of Any Pace

14 hours ago, s6 owl said:

Not only are we physically slow but we also move the ball at a snails pace it doesn't matter whether we are playing Chelsea or Burton the majority of the time we need 4 or 5 touches before we are able to pick a pass.

This really annoys me and has been a habit for the last few years.  The receiving player doesn’t even have to take a touch to control it as we seem to pass the ball so it trickles to a halt at his feet. It’s like we are having a game of bowls in the middle of a football match.

14 hours ago, McRightSide said:

We have pace, it just wasn’t playing

Matias

FF

Joao

That's not pace, it's mobile, it's energy. What we lack is someone with a turn of speed. Quick over the first 15-20 yards. A Vardy type striker, a Dwight Gayle etc, a quick winger or a marauding centre mid who runs in behind. Any one of those, preferably the striker or midfielder would drop the opposition 5 to 10 yards and give Bannan more space to play, allow Reach to take up positions 25 yards out, allow full backs extra time to play a better quality ball in. The opposition have to drop back because of the threat of getting caught out with pace.

In an ideal world, you have at least two out of those three. However, that costs money...

No pace

No aggression

No attacking intent/tempo 

It’s what we’ve been watching for 3 years 

Yes Chelsea are a class above and then some, but they didn’t need to break sweat, I can’t remember us putting a tackle in of note and I could of been in their net and they still wouldn’t have conceded 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Can anybody think of any successful side in the modern era that was/is completely devoid of genuine attacking pace? I can't.

Had this conversation last year with somebody and the only team we could think of was maybe the German national side from about 2006.  There wasn't really any express pace in the German national teams round that time, they just shifted it quicker than everybody else.  Which goes to show if you are devoid of pace, you'd better have bloody good footballers.

The starting 11 was just stupid.

A match where we were going to have to play 100% on the break, and we leave out every pacey player we have. It's just idiotic. If Bruce is picking these teams from afar, then I'm already worried. At best Agnew is an incompetent idiot.

Then to rub it in.. when we finally bring on some pace.. and we put Joao (top scorer and quickest man we have) at right mid in a 442. What the....

33 minutes ago, cookeh said:

The starting 11 was just stupid.

A match where we were going to have to play 100% on the break, and we leave out every pacey player we have. It's just idiotic. If Bruce is picking these teams from afar, then I'm already worried. At best Agnew is an incompetent idiot.

Then to rub it in.. when we finally bring on some pace.. and we put Joao (top scorer and quickest man we have) at right mid in a 442. What the....

I really hope Agnew is a far better coach than a manager 

Its not just raw pace we are talking about either. 

Its players that are faster and can make decisions faster. Its about having players that can get in behind and stretch the opposition with runs. Make opposition defenders drop deeper. Make them lose possession by pressing. Its about us having full backs that can bomb forward when needed. It can relieve pressure for us very quickly. Give the ball to Bannan and he can pick players making runs in behind. 

I've had enough of this slow football. Waiting for opposition teams to dictate the tempo. Also you have to feel for pur defence when they know we have no real outlets apart from Fletcher backing in. 

Its the lack of tempo, movement into space and closing down that are more of an issue. Not doing these things makes the team look slower than they actually are as the players are on the back foot and don't have any initiative. They're therefore a yard or two behind the opposition. Get the players playing the right way (ie, back like we did in 2015) and they would look and actually be demonstrably faster than they are now.

Edited by Owl Be Back

16 hours ago, McRightSide said:

We have pace, it just wasn’t playing

Matias

FF

Joao

Matias? Average pace wouldn’t say he’s necessarily quick 

Joao - not particularly fast 

FF - wouldn’t say he’s fast just a low centre of gravity 

Our lack of pace is a disgrace, has it seriously just not been included in the search for scouts? 

3 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Antonio*

Possibly Helen

Antonio's no slouch don't get me wrong but I don't know if he was quite the same fit or role.

Helan spent a lot of time at left back. Again, not really the same forward outball.

In all 3 cases you're talking about 3, 4, 5 years on without replacing a single one of them.

I genuinely think you can pin the Huddersfield play off defeat on our lack of a player with that sort of genuine pace just as much as you can pin Wembley on the lack of any battle or experience in the middle. That we've never addressed either since is a joke.