We must sell players to compete

1 hour ago, agentwalker said:

It's ok saying we just need to sell players, we need to do it in the right way.

Clubs that survive financially work by bringing youngsters through the academy then sell them on to the prem clubs for big money. Then reuse some of the funds to buy decent players with a bit of age on them. For example the pigs with Brooks.

We've been bad at this going as far back as the prem days so you can't lay all the blame at DC. When we sort the academy out and start producing strikers and midfielders instead of goalkeepers (nothing against them but they don't bring in the big money), we can then get the financial side sorted.

I think at the moment Us and quite a few other clubs are waiting to see what happens to Birmingham. Have the football league got the balls to come down hard on them? if they don't then I can see the whole FFP going out the window.

We need to sell players when we receive good offers, not just ignore, we could have sold westwood, bannan, reach and FF in the past, all for a profit. Now they are worth a fraction.

11 minutes ago, billyblack said:

We need to sell players when we receive good offers, not just ignore, we could have sold westwood, bannan, reach and FF in the past, all for a profit. Now they are worth a fraction.

I absolutely agree with the sentiment that we need to sell players and we have since the end of DC's first season. But, we must asses it honestly. Of the ones you've mentioned.

FF - At the time the majority (including myself) backed the owner's stance. Had we known DC's mindset and the path he was taking us down that would have been a majority in favour of selling. - With hindsight, a missed opportunity.

BB - He was at his best in his first season, I don't think anyone would have been in favour of selling him then. He's older and not at the peak he was then but he's still saleable. - The opportunity to cash in was never really there IMO.

KW - If the rumours of the Cardiff offer were true we bit our nose off to spite our face. - A missed opportunity.

AR - No rumours of interest although I can't believe there aren't lots of interested parties now. The player is at his peak value for us right now. The opportunity to cash in is now and has not passed as you intimated. There are always mitigating circumstances though and I expect we'll hang on to him until this season ends. Personally, I'd sell now.

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I don't think Bruce is going to have any choice but to adopt a policy of selling high and buying on potential. 

Not unless we shift 35,000 Club1867 tickets!

Your first sentence is the secret of success in the Championship 

Your second sentence demonstrates the futility of trying to raise £10 million by offering something for free (that’s not really free) at some unspecified time in the future.