We must sell players to compete

I feel we must change this policy of 

“we don’t sell our better players”

i am not advocating a mass fire sale , even if there were any takers, 

but moving forward we must sell some of our players when they are at there most sellable, and when good bids come along , nearly all other clubs do this many far more successful than we are 

It just makes so much more sense 

younger players can come through , our signings actually get to play , we wouldn’t be in trouble with FFP , the wage bill would be less , pre Madonna players would realise they are not running the club , and many more reasons 

I hope Bruce will adopt a more in and out policy , because this policy we have had for many years now just isn’t working and can never work , in any business there has to be balance 

and selling an asset for its maximum price makes sense some of the time 

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

I don't think Bruce is going to have any choice but to adopt a policy of selling high and buying on potential. 

Not unless we shift 35,000 Club1867 tickets!

Totally agree. How exciting could that be though if we can do it effectively? 

PS. Only 35,000 to go......

Edited by Morepork
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, honest owl said:

A few do , but many big clubs sell players, Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool to name a few 

Or loan them to lower league clubs it's not long ago when we hardly had a plate we could call our own

It's ok saying we just need to sell players, we need to do it in the right way.

Clubs that survive financially work by bringing youngsters through the academy then sell them on to the prem clubs for big money. Then reuse some of the funds to buy decent players with a bit of age on them. For example the pigs with Brooks.

We've been bad at this going as far back as the prem days so you can't lay all the blame at DC. When we sort the academy out and start producing strikers and midfielders instead of goalkeepers (nothing against them but they don't bring in the big money), we can then get the financial side sorted.

I think at the moment Us and quite a few other clubs are waiting to see what happens to Birmingham. Have the football league got the balls to come down hard on them? if they don't then I can see the whole FFP going out the window.

We needed to sell at the right time in order to get the best value. The right time being when players are in peak form and in demand.

Unfortunately now  if we do need to sell in order to compete next season we probably won't get what we want in terms of full value. Is there any real point in jeopardising 2 seasons? I only really say that because DC already said we will be worse off next season if we don't go up. 

Not sure what he's promised Bruce in order for him to come but it must be something lucrative. 

5 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

It's ok saying we just need to sell players, we need to do it in the right way.

Clubs that survive financially work by bringing youngsters through the academy then sell them on to the prem clubs for big money. Then reuse some of the funds to buy decent players with a bit of age on them. For example the pigs with Brooks.

We've been bad at this going as far back as the prem days so you can't lay all the blame at DC. When we sort the academy out and start producing strikers and midfielders instead of goalkeepers (nothing against them but they don't bring in the big money), we can then get the financial side sorted.

I think at the moment Us and quite a few other clubs are waiting to see what happens to Birmingham. Have the football league got the balls to come down hard on them? if they don't then I can see the whole FFP going out the window.

They don’t even have to be academy players. Every player has his price, once you get a bid which is realistically the maximum you are going to get for that player in that league then you sell and reinvest. Liverpool have done it with Suarez, coutinho. Man Utd sold Ronaldo and Barcelona sold Neymar. None of our players are irreplaceable, there’s plenty of other good players around. Our transfer policy since DC came in has been bizarre.

24 minutes ago, 83owl said:

They don’t even have to be academy players. Every player has his price, once you get a bid which is realistically the maximum you are going to get for that player in that league then you sell and reinvest. Liverpool have done it with Suarez, coutinho. Man Utd sold Ronaldo and Barcelona sold Neymar. None of our players are irreplaceable, there’s plenty of other good players around. Our transfer policy since DC came in has been bizarre.

The players you mentioned their all wanted to leave. I'm sure if FF, reach etc said they wanted to leave we'd sell.

My example is how it should be done. The way we are at the moment any sales would end up making us relegation fodder.

I think we'll stick with what we have, offer new contacts to the ones we want to keep and ride out the embargo with the players we have and hope it works.

Teams have got out of this league with a lot worser bunch of players then we have. Just needs the right man to get them fired up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

The players you mentioned their all wanted to leave. I'm sure if FF, reach etc said they wanted to leave we'd sell.

My example is how it should be done. The way we are at the moment any sales would end up making us relegation fodder.

I think we'll stick with what we have, offer new contacts to the ones we want to keep and ride out the embargo with the players we have and hope it works.

Teams have got out of this league with a lot worser bunch of players then we have. Just needs the right man to get them fired up.

how do you ride out an embargo if you don't cut your wage bill ?......