A To Z Of Football Grounds ( Past And Present )

Cressing Road - Braindead Town. The biggest local rivals to Chelmsford City and therefore a ground I've been to several times and never seen us lose. There is very much a "hate hate" relationship between the two clubs which I can recall, about 15 years back, lead to an Essex Senior Cup tie between the two being abandoned when all the players and both benches had a pitched battle which had to be broken up by the police. Far and away the best I have seen at a match!

Cressing_Road.1.JPG.webp

brain.jpg

• Haha 1

Elm Park - Reading 1896 to 1988. Only ever went there twice; the Cup Third Round tie back in 1966 (went to all the cup games that year with my dad and uncle) and the Third Division game in 1976. Can remember nothing of the cup tie but vividly remember Jeff Johnson wheeling away in celebration after smashing home the winner ten years later. Our first away win for nearly two years!

Elm_Park,_the_former_home_of_Reading_FC.jpg

elm.jpg

• Like 2

Lyttelton Ground, Leyton.  Woolwich Arsenal - one match in 1895, Leyton FC - various matches over the years.

Better known as the county ground of Essex CCC until 1933 and still occasionally used for first class games until 1977. As a cricket ground best known as the venue for Holmes and Sutcliffe's then world record opening stand of 555 in 1932. There was considerable dispute at the time as to whether they had beaten, or only equalled, the previous record of 554 until a no ball was conveniently found (apparently on the instructions of the Essex captain) at close of play. Beautiful pavilion which I have been inside.

county-championship-cricket-yorkshire-against-essex-at-county-ground-EN52FM.jpg

leyton cricket ground.jpg.gallery.jpg

• Like 1

Manor Ground - Oxford United 1925 to 2001.

Went to this ground several times; the first time being in the 1976/77 season. On that occasion the away fans stood on the covered end which had been split in two but on subsequent visits we were plonked on the wedge shaped open terrace. A truly awful ground.

gettyimages-1036155322-594x594-1.jpg

New Lodge - Billericay Town since 1970.

As they are local rivals of my lot I've again been here a few times and also because Chelmsford City ground-shared here between 1998 and 2005. Back then it was as basic as you can get but during the infamous Glenn Tamplin era, when he brought ex-pros such as Paul Konchesky and Jermaine Pennant to Ricky, the ground was substantially re-developed with the aim of making it fit for the Football League. Needless to say it all ended in tears and they're now bottom of the Conference South. Shame.

index.jpg

index2.jpg

• Like 1

Park Avenue - Bradford (Park Avenue) 1907 to 1970. The football ground is now a gym but the cricket ground next door, which hosted first class matches until 1996, is still there. Unfortunately the wonderful pavilion was demolished many years ago. The cricket ground was the scene of one of Jim Laker's remarkable performances when he took 8 for 2 when playing in a Test trial in 1950.

d636a2ed9438eda435fc7ce6b60c302b.jpg

an-overgrown-bradford-park-avenue-in-1980-MBAA8W.jpg

267011243.jpg.gallery.jpg

• Like 1

Southbury Road - Enfield to 1999. This is a ground I went to back in early 1986 for an FA Trophy tie between Enfield and Chelmsford City. Back then Enfield were the top non-league side in the country; they won the Gola League (now the Vanarama National) that season which was the last before automatic promotion with the FL. City came second in the Southern League and were a decent side themselves with Peter Taylor, the old Palace, Spurs and England winger pulling the strings in midfield and a guy called Ron Pountney who some may recall from the winner takes all match against Southend back in 1976. It was one of the most remarkable games I've ever seen. City were 3 down after seven minutes, got it back to 3-4 with about 15 to go as the weather turned into an absolute blizzard but as they piled everyone forward they conceded a breakaway fifth in the last minute to go down 5-3. The second picture is from that match...0-3!

rem6gn.jpg

img-res.pitchero.com.jpg

• Like 2