Oppositions fans in the home end at Hillsborough

When I first started watching Wednesday as a nine-year old, we used to get complimentary tickets if you played for the school footy team.

There would be four or five of us, all of similar age, and we always used to go on the Leppings Lane end and stand in front of the dozens of bus drivers who watched the match ahead of taking folks back afterwards.

Invariably, that is where the away fans also went. Never a hint of trouble.

All this territorial stuff and segregation seemed to start in the late 60s. I vaguely remember a documentary on "football hooligans" being shown on TV and I suppose this helped recruit the nutters which culminated in the penning up of fans in the 80s.

Hopefully, we might get back to something like normal, as we knew it, because I would shudder to think what would be made of any parent these days allowing their nine-year old to attend a football match without adult supervision. Somehow, I doubt it, though. Those days are long gone.

17 hours ago, Hughdowd said:

Millwall in the late 70s was bad.....they brought a small bunch of real nutters on the kop ...they eventually got on the pitch only to jump back on the kop when we took the wee wee.....

They were eventually taken onto the leps where it kicked off again, there used to be quite a number of wednesday boys would go on the leps to have a pop at the unsuspecting away fans.

Remember same happening with a crew of Grimsby fans who had a pop on the kop but got a good slap for trying.

Same period remember Pompey having a fair few on the middle of the kop, they were more stubborn though as I recall, can’t remember if they scarpered or not.

They would come on kop real early when hardly anyone was in the ground to find when numbers grew towards kick off they had bitten off more than they can chew.

I was in my early teens at the time, the whole experience home and away was both frightening and exhilarating at the same time.

Bet if this was on Blunt Forums they would have kicked us to f**k and taken the EB, never seen us before and after the game. The game I quoted was 1970/1 when they took most of the ground as they were top of the old Div 2, They still talk about us never turning up in the town centre whenever there's a derby game and only managing to get to games through underground tunnels. Still that's the Blunt propaganda.

22 hours ago, BaldFcuker said:

What is your problem?

It was 1980, but i think the fella got it the wrong way round!

Im sure we played at the lane first, and indeed there were 3000+ Owls on the Shorham, not as many as that were on in the 1-1 draw the previous Season in the league.

This was a different era, But hey yes we punched loads of people, and funnily we got punched too!

Cant remember any of them on the reverse tie, so 6 seems about right.

All you need to know is a Guy called Weenie was at the lane that night.

Show some respect!

UTO

Worst I've seen on Shoreham that day.

Fan got carried out with a dart stuck deep into his head. 

Not sure if Owl or Blade.

36 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Bet if this was on Blunt Forums they would have kicked us to f**k and taken the EB, never seen us before and after the game. The game I quoted was 1970/1 when they took most of the ground as they were top of the old Div 2, They still talk about us never turning up in the town centre whenever there's a derby game and only managing to get to games through underground tunnels. Still that's the Blunt propaganda.

I remember that game, they were some United fans at top of kop on right hand side but they didn't take it, Wednesday fans did surge towards them on a few occasions with police splitting them and us apart. 

They were some sat around us in North stand towards Leppings lane end.  

Around that time Birmingham were at top of league and I remember them bringing thousands with a lot on kop. 

Edited by bradowl

3 hours ago, Nut said:

The risk assessment should be carried out by the person who decides to break the law and sit in the home end. The bigger the match, the bigger the rivalry, the bigger the risk. Football isn't a special case. If you openly take the wee wee out of someone with opposing views to you there is a risk of violence in any walk of life. If you are prepared to behave in a certain way you have to accept the consequences. 

Wow. Really can't understand that being an acceptable response. I just don't understand why some people don't seem to have any other means of behaviour.  What if you were in a pub watching a game and one half of the pub cheers when their team scores and gives it the biggun to you? Do you all go over and punch everybody?

No that would be totally different and isn't the same arguement. We are talking about supporters sitting in their opponents ends then cheering if they score. If you do this you know the risks and should accept the consequences. 

On 24/01/2019 at 14:24, Rev Owl said:

Went to this.  Sat at back of North,

kop end.  People sat next to us were Man U fans.  Good banter. 

This is how football should be if the ground sells out who cares who sits in the seats as long as they behave have few banter but nothing too OTT!

2 minutes ago, Lomas613 said:

This is how football should be if the ground sells out who cares who sits in the seats as long as they behave have few banter but nothing too OTT!

Exactly. No segregation at Rugby and you can have a pint while you watch. A small minority in the past spoiled it for the majority as per usual. 

4 minutes ago, Lomas613 said:

A few years ago I was at the Schalke - Dortmund game. Huge local derby. We opposite the main Schalke end with the Dortmund fans massed to our right. Our stand must have been 98%+ Schalke, vut there was a scattering of Dortmund fans, some wearing colours, who openly celebrated their goals. (Klopp's Dortmund in their pomp, incidentally: I think the finest footballing display  have seen).

Terrific atmosphere. And then later in the middle of Gelsenkirchen a sense that trouble might kick off, with fans chanting and gesturing across a line of riot police.had I been a Dortmund fan I would sooner have been with my compadres. But everyone managed just fine.

17 minutes ago, Lomas613 said:

So if we're in a play off semi or final against Leeds and you can't get a ticket because the Leeds fans have bought loads of tickets in the Wednesday end would you care then? Or you get a ticket but none of your friends or family can get one and you're surrounded by Leeds fans what would you do if they beat us? Wish them well in the premiership and congratulate them on their ingenuity in obtaining tickets in our end? 

19 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

Exactly. No segregation at Rugby and you can have a pint while you watch. A small minority in the past spoiled it for the majority as per usual. 

Rugby is different and so is cricket. I've sat with opposing fans at Yorkshire and England cricket games and had a laugh but it's not like that with football. Whether you think that's right or not you won't change it. 

55 minutes ago, Nut said:

So if we're in a play off semi or final against Leeds and you can't get a ticket because the Leeds fans have bought loads of tickets in the Wednesday end would you care then? Or you get a ticket but none of your friends or family can get one and you're surrounded by Leeds fans what would you do if they beat us? Wish them well in the premiership and congratulate them on their ingenuity in obtaining tickets in our end? 

I think your missing the point mate. And seems like your one of the minority that sees it as an issue. End of day we don’t sell games out every week do we so if the away end is sold owt I don’t see anything wrong with other ticket being allocated/allowed to purchase by away fans end of day money is money and if there is security and people be sansible (how it should be that’s what I was meaning above) then I don’t see why not

3 minutes ago, Lomas613 said:

I think your missing the point mate. And seems like your one of the minority that sees it as an issue. End of day we don’t sell games out every week do we so if the away end is sold owt I don’t see anything wrong with other ticket being allocated/allowed to purchase by away fans end of day money is money and if there is security and people be sansible (how it should be that’s what I was meaning above) then I don’t see why not

We obviously have different views which is probably down to my age and what I've experienced. I drink in pubs before matches and chat to opposing fans on occasions and that's how it should be. However, it's still at the back of my mind that the same fans in a couple if hours will be telling me 'Sheffield's a shithole' and generally hurling abuse in my direction. That's part of the game and i accept it but at the same time I think that certain things are out of order and sitting in the wrong end is one of them. You don't get the same abuse or tribalism in Rugby and the game is I'm sure all the better for it but as I said earlier, football's different. If I'm in a minority I think it will be a sizeable one, particularly for fans aged 50 plus, frommost/all English clubs. 

3 hours ago, bradowl said:

I remember that game, they were some United fans at top of kop on right hand side but they didn't take it, Wednesday fans did surge towards them on a few occasions with police splitting them and us apart. 

They were some sat around us in North stand towards Leppings lane end.  

Around that time Birmingham were at top of league and I remember them bringing thousands with a lot on kop. 

Hi Brad, that game was the following season remember it well. Birmingham were promoted and were taking thousands everywhere. The 70/71 game was when the Blunts got promoted and I was in the South Stand in a near 48000 crowd when we were averaging 15/16000. The Kop was just red and white. As someone pointed out that kind of thing will never happen again.

I remember sitting just behind a family of Spurs fans in the game when Klinsmann scored against us.  I was only young and didn't really appreciate the size of his cojones for cheering so openly for Spurs whilst sitting on the Kop.

A few seasons later we played Chelsea at home and a few Chelsea fans were in with our fans.  One of them was off his face and kicking the chair in front of him and generally going a bit mental.  The stewards seemed a bit afraid of him.

I've never seen an away fan get attacked for being in the home end, but I do remember seeing that Sunderland fan receive a right hook when he was giving it large to the North stand.  Not very mature, but funny anyway.

1 hour ago, Lomas613 said:

Let’s hope this happens when we sell out at away games then