Oppositions fans in the home end at Hillsborough

I was accused of being an away fan once on the KOP.

Sturrocks Plymouth came and played us off the park.

I applauded one of their goals as it was a terrific move and in a gloomy, depressing time to be an Owl actually the highlight of the day in a sick and twisted way. I'd actuslly seen something in the park worth my money!

Chap next to me accuses me of being one of them and threatened to stove in my conker. ...Seemingly forgetting I'd had a season ticket next to him for two years. 

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I applauded one of their goals as it was a terrific move and in a gloomy, depressing time to be an Owl actually the highlight of the day in a sick and twisted way. I'd actuslly seen something in the park worth my money!

Chap next to me accuses me of being one of them and threatened to stove in my conker. ...Seemingly forgetting I'd had a season ticket next to him for two years. 

There used to be a group of Owls fans outside the crown on Penistone askin' various folk questions like 

"What time is it?"..To check the accent

Then if still unconvinced 

"Where is the main bus station in Sheffield..."

"Pond st"

pass friend

"Dunno"

"Thump..............................!!!

8 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

There was a few dreamers on the kop I used to borrow programs off of... we'd regularly get together to cheer away goals.

Think it was when we were rooting for Grimsby? one afternoon that we were chased towards the south.

Edited by Costello 77

22 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

There used to be a group of Owls fans outside the crown on Penistone askin' various folk questions like 

"What time is it?"..To check the accent

Then if still unconvinced 

"Where is the main bus station in Sheffield..."

"Pond st"

pass friend

"Dunno"

"Thump..............................!!!

Pack nature.  There was (and to a lesser extent now) a tribalism in football which ,many can't seem to get a handle on these days. 

It still exists a bit in a way. But these days kids will just call each other wànkers and tell each other their teams are shyte in the comments sections of the online papers, MOTD facebook groups and twitter.

Yet... they don't seem to twig that is what happened years ago too, but it happened in person , and when things happen in person then there's always a likely hood of it going up. 

Besides. And I was only thinking this yesterday it's not just football thst was different then. The whole country was different in so many ways. 

Everything was a bit more edgy. Not through choice. 

A choice,  I can't explain what I mean. But I know what I mean.

Go and get the candles the PM is cutting the power later. 

Many today wouldn't be able to cope! There'd be tears everywhere. 

I'm not condoning the way things were. Things were unpleasant in so many ways. But they were unpleasant when the Saxons landed for many. They were unpleasant when William and the Normans came wading in. They were unpleasant when kids were getting sent up chimneys and getting mangled under looms. 

The past is what it is. No one applauds it.

But of course people have a slightly rose tinted view through the mists of time. That's human nature. 

And are things that much better now?

What makes me laugh is holier than thou kids these days will look back rose tinted on these times one day. They'll make out they won't.  But they will. Because people do.

"At least it were only stabbings, shootings and acid attacks in high rise stairwells in my day. The odd lunatic terrorist attack.  Not like these laser weapons and chemical warfare the teenagers  are using now. It was a much more innocent time" etc etc 

Edited by Lord Snooty
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

3000 on their Kop, what fantasy nonsense.

It will be 4000 the next time the story is told

Its amazing how they had 6 and we had 3000

And what did this crazy 3000 do?Punch a load of people?

It was practically impossible to throw a punch. The first chant of "The Wednesday" went out, and the blunts turned and came for us. Our lot surged forward and the front line was packed like sardines against the aisle crush barrier. All you could do was grab a blunt and throttle, while those behind tried to jump over you to land a punch. 

They gave it about 2 minutes and gave up the ghost, leaving us to it for the rest of the match. Never seen such sad little faces as that day. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, daztheowl said:

It was practically impossible to throw a punch. The first chant of "The Wednesday" went out, and the blunts turned and came for us. Our lot surged forward and the front line was packed like sardines against the aisle crush barrier. All you could do was grab a blunt and throttle, while those behind tried to jump over you to land a punch. 

They gave it about 2 minutes and gave up the ghost, leaving us to it for the rest of the match. Never seen such sad little faces as that day. 

Not many punches after the opening minutes. But I remember quite a few rolled up burning newspapers coming our way over the heads of hard pressed plod. One of ours also got stabbed with a screwdriver. 

But some will say it never happened. 

8 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Not many punches after the opening minutes. But I remember quite a few rolled up burning newspapers coming our way over the heads of hard pressed plod. One of ours also got stabbed with a screwdriver. 

We left from the Wharnecliffe at Firth Park 50 of us half blades and half owls. met up back after in the pub...One of the blades was taking some flack from us owls about all of us on the Shoreham...he said I managed to get one of the wednesday rumblezoids with a snooker ball though...five minutes later his blades mate came in with a big lump on his head...Are you ok pal I asked him...he said no some flipping wednesdayites got me with a snooker ball lol 

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Owls 2 - Manu 4 in 1989....Fighting everywhere on kop and especially at the bottom left.  Incredible atmosphere. Packed everywhere.

1988-9 we lost 2-0 at home.  89-90 we won 1-0.  Maybe you were watching the yobs instead of the football.  

11 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Remember getting pelted with coins n one of mates getting gashed forehead. Everyone at it for 90 minutes. Bloody knackered by the end.

2 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

We left from the Wharnecliffe at Firth Park 50 of us half blades and half owls. met up back after in the pub...One of the blades was taking some flack from us owls about all of us on the Shoreham...he said I managed to get one of the wednesday rumblezoids with a snooker ball though...five minutes later his blades mate came in with a big lump on his head...Are you ok pal I asked him...he said no some flipping wednesdayites got me with a snooker ball lol 

Hope it was the blue :duntmatter:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bark1062 said:

Remember that they were in Tango corner, if I remember rightly we lost 3-0 with our fans wanting to rip them all a new one.

I’m sure this was the 81/82 season and there was about a dozen or so

Wrexham

fans in the Kop triangle. My memory also seems to think Watford fans were there in the early 1980s

1 hour ago, daztheowl said:

They were even more downcast when we were goading them with "where's your Barmy Army now?" After they had been giving it the big un before the game

6 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

Wrexham

fans in the Kop triangle. My memory also seems to think Watford fans were there in the early 1980s

Watford had to go in there as we had the Lepps and they had brought more than most. I remember a couple of them asking the police where to go. Think it was more late 70s 

Edited by lanzaroteowl

4 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

Wrexham

It was 81 now i think about it.  I had never been in the pub at 10 years old.  was definitely year after.

5 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

They were even more downcast when we were goading them with "where's your Barmy Army now?" After they had been giving it the big un before the game

When I arrived there was about 30 of us chatting on the steps. I thought, not much of a turnout, then ventured down in the stand to take up position. Was absolutely astounded when that first Wednesday chant roared out.