Oppositions fans in the home end at Hillsborough

11 minutes ago, Nut said:

Yes. Shouldn't have been there. Don't believe in violence against other fans for no reason but if you're celebrating a goal in someone else's end you are taking the wee wee and deserve a slap. 

The chances of a slap are there as soon as you enter the wrong stand , isn’t it also banned ? 

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Only ones I can recall just about taking the Kop over  were Villa, Birmingham, Blunts, all promotion parties. Man Utd seemed to have 3 sides in 1974. Think that was the scariest. Plenty of others have had parts of the Kop without taking control. AS someone said it won't happen again. Remember a night game against Millwall when they stood their ground and caused havoc on the way back to the station. Seems stupid and infantile but that's the way it was then.

When have the Blunts taken over the kop?

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Only ones I can recall just about taking the Kop over  were Villa, Birmingham, Blunts, all promotion parties. Man Utd seemed to have 3 sides in 1974. Think that was the scariest. Plenty of others have had parts of the Kop without taking control. AS someone said it won't happen again. Remember a night game against Millwall when they stood their ground and caused havoc on the way back to the station. Seems stupid and infantile but that's the way it was then.

Birmingham came on twice in 71 &72 and stood up the top not the middle. BLUNTS??? where did you dig that from. I can categorically state they NEVER came on our kop with any intention of trying to take it. Even in Gerry Youngs testimonial when they had the numbers, they still went up to the high point of the kop and steered clear of the middle. The month of January 1969 was one of the worst. Leeds in the 3rd rd of the cup, it was going off all afternoon. 2 weeks later v Man City huge brawl at the back of the kop at the final whistle went on for 10/15 minutes. Then Birmingham in 4th rd of cup. They brought a good 15k and had a few thousand next to the middle section, again going off all afternoon. It happened and as much as the liberal left would like to, you cant rewrite, or erase it from history. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HighworthOwl said:

Im getting slightly worried about Sunday now reading all these!

Luckily Chelsea are known as being a friendly, welcoming bunch.

If we score at the weekend and I never post again you know why...

One I do remember is against Chelsea and there were 4 lads sat in the North towards the Kop. They made no attempt to hide the fact, they looked quite tough and one took up about 3 seats. 

The stewards moved the Wednesday fans near them instead

And occasionally they would put away fans in the Kop triangle. Famously in 92 or 93 the Jemson game v Man U  though they weren't supposed to be

But I once stood behind 4 Blackpool fans in an early round League Cup game that were put there 

Just now, Nut said:

I lived through the same times as you Asteener and it was frightening at times and a lot of it was definitely wrong. I'm glad it's much safer at matches now but it's nowhere near as exciting as it used to be in those days. 

I think you might have got excitement mixed up with fright mate lol

I can remember getting the coach tickets for Millwall away on a Tuesday night....

It sorta started out as a dare...

One lad would say...."Fancy Millwall away next week....?"

No bugger liked to back down..So we all said (4 of us)..

"Yea no problem....someone sort the tickets out"

Expecting no f,ooker to bother..

Well as it happened I had been to every home and away game that year...and had every intention of goin' to Millwall..So I bought the tickets....simply because I didn't fancy going on me own....Its hilarious now....I didn't get much credit for it back then....

So come Tuesday afternoon ...there we were outside the old S.U.T offices in Pond st...on coach..f.ookin' 2!!!!

"How many coaches are going ...I'm on coach 2....."

"3"

" Err...3???"

Me..... "Well I suppose most will be going on the train.......

Actually nothing at all happened..apart from we lost the f.ooker...but Millwall away ...at night....?

call it excitement...some would...I rather had the feeling of abject f.ookin' fear tbh,,,,but nowt happened

Have a walk down cold blow of a winters night...You don't need a game...just an imagination

4 minutes ago, mkowl said:

One I do remember is against Chelsea and there were 4 lads sat in the North towards the Kop. They made no attempt to hide the fact, they looked quite tough and one took up about 3 seats. 

The stewards moved the Wednesday fans near them instead

its a problem you and three mates crammed onto 3 seats - probably that's where the anger came from

2 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

I think you might have got excitement mixed up with fright mate lol

I can remember getting the coach tickets for Millwall away on a Tuesday night....

It sorta started out as a dare...

One lad would say...."Fancy Millwall away next week....?"

No bugger liked to back down..So we all said (4 of us)..

"Yea no problem....someone sort the tickets out"

Expecting no f,ooker to bother..

Well as it happened I had been to every home and away game that year...and had every intention of goin' to Millwall..So I bought the tickets....simply because I didn't fancy going on me own....Its hilarious now....I didn't get much credit for it back then....

So come Tuesday afternoon ...there we were outside the old S.U.T offices in Pond st...on coach..f.ookin' 2!!!!

"How many coaches are going ...I'm on coach 2....."

"3"

" Err...3???"

Me..... "Well I suppose most will be going on the train.......

Actually nothing at all happened..apart from we lost the f.ooker...but Millwall away ...at night....?

call it excitement...some would...I rather had the feeling of abject f.ookin' fear tbh,,,,but nowt happened

Have a walk down cold blow of a winters night...You don't need a game...just an imagination

But how good did it feel to get back on the coach having survived? And next time you went somewhere you felt a little bit braver. Wednesday games played a big part in me growing up and toughening up. I wouldn't change my experiences for the world but then I was lucky to never get a real kicking although a lot of that was down to fellow supporters and that was where the camaraderie came from. 

The only 2 clubs to ever take the kop fully were Man U in that infamous game of 1974 and Villa in their promotion year. Birmingham never succeeded even though they had a go. The game where they had a proper go a line of police stood all the way from the top seperating the two factions. If I remember correctly the coppers pulled out about 10 minutes before the end of the game to police outside the ground leading to a mass brawl on the kop and then a retreat by the Brummies back down the kop and out via the kop/south stand exit. I think the crowd showed more interest in what was going on at the top of the kop than the pitch at that stage. I know a muted roar went round the ground when the Brummies legged it.

In the 90s away fans used to sit in home areas quite a lot. Usually nothing happened, but it depended largely on the scale of the celebration when they scored, and where they were sat. 

• Any celebration on the kop was a bad idea
  • A moderate celebration, like a brief stand up and a couple of claps, was acceptable on the South and North. 
  • A big celebration was not acceptable anywhere really although it did happen occasionally. Luck of the draw as to if anyone did anything about it. 

Now because of years of separation and SAG those days are gone. Keep em a mile away in a caged box with 50 rows of seats and a net between us and them. 

Edited by crookesowl

2 minutes ago, Mister Soul said:

Aston Villa ..maybe 1975? 

They needed a win for promotion I think. Took the entire kop, took everything I think and beat us 4-0! 

WEdnesday fans were still on the Kop under the old scoreboard...I can remember quite distinctly....feeling nowt but jealousy as villa fans ran around the pitch

Edited by asteener1867

2 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

3000 on their Kop, what fantasy nonsense.

It will be 4000 the next time the story is told

Its amazing how they had 6 and we had 3000

And what did this crazy 3000 do?Punch a load of people?

What is your problem?

It was 1980, but i think the fella got it the wrong way round!

Im sure we played at the lane first, and indeed there were 3000+ Owls on the Shorham, not as many as that were on in the 1-1 draw the previous Season in the league.

This was a different era, But hey yes we punched loads of people, and funnily we got punched too!

Cant remember any of them on the reverse tie, so 6 seems about right.

All you need to know is a Guy called Weenie was at the lane that night.

Show some respect!

UTO

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BaldFcuker said:

What is your problem?

It was 1980, but i think the fella got it the wrong way round!

Im sure we played at the lane first, and indeed there were 3000+ Owls on the Shorham, not as many as that were on in the 1-1 draw the previous Season in the league.

This was a different era, But hey yes we punched loads of people, and funnily we got punched too!

Cant remember any of them on the reverse tie, so 6 seems about right.

All you need to know is a Guy called Weenie was at the lane that night.

Show some respect!

UTO

I think we beat them 2 0 at home first then 1 1 at the lane mate. League cup 1st or 2nd round.

You have to see the '70's & 80's etc in context...

Any fan from those days knows what it looks like.... now...gratuitous violence etc...yea its stupid...

but contemporaneously?

You get a bloke, who was a teacher...twice your size and weight hit you over the hands or the ar*se 6 times  with a f.ookin' stick...for getting a sum wrong...or for saying 

"I don't think they could actually fit that many animals on the ark"

You didn't have "Injury lawyers for you " piling in about it...You simply got "Hit wiv a f.ookin' stick"

So no doubt, Some owls, Chelsea, Blades fan might think....

"That f.ookin' idiot has come on the wrong end...thats a mistake...what happens when you make a mistake?"

Its changed now ...its evolution...its better....

Do you not want fans to tell you what they thought at the time?..what happened at the time?

Posters are having a laugh about it...cos that was simply what happened...was taken as the norm..at that time, given the boundaries...."At that time"

I haven't seen anyone saying its right..but to deny it happened?..thats asking for the same mistakes to happen again.

If you are under 30...forget the f.ookin' threads...don't join in....You'll never bloody understand it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1